CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 10-08-2009, 05:07 PM   #11
Danielle Marcellino

Profile:
Re: newbie shock??? need some insight please!

dehydration and no food was my first thought after the first workout. but she was pounding water all weekend to prepare for tusday (i was proud). we warmed up but the cool down didnt happen because she finished and started getting dizzy and wanted to lay down. she never has this reaction when she runs.

as for the "for time" factor we really didnt push it, i think it took her 10ish mins to complete the wod. the strange thing is that it takes her a good half hr to 45 mins before she pukes... puking durring or immediately after makes sense to me...45 mins, not so much.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:01 AM   #12
Tirzah Harper

Profile:

How strong is she? If the answer is "not very," how about having her just do the warmup, not for time, for a couple of weeks?
Old 10-09-2009, 08:50 AM   #13
Donnie Skinner

Profile:

I remember the first crossfit workout I ever did when I first started crossfit a year and a half ago was filthy 50. I was in very good shape and my buddy who is in the Army told me to try out crossfit. When I was done I felt pretty dizzy and had a headache for at least a hour. Dispite all this, I was hooked, I figured that I was dehydrated. The next few workouts after this I still got a little dizzy and a headache everytime, however it wasn't as bad. I would say after doing crossfit workouts for about a month I got used to the intensity and stopped having dizziness and headaches. To be honest I think that during crossfit workouts you exert so much energy in such a short period of time that it shocks your body. Different people have different reactions. I had been lifting, playing sports and working out consistantly for 10 years, and still had my butt kicked by a crossfit workout and I was in pretty good shape. So my advice is for her to be patient, ease herself into it, and I would think that her symptoms will subside; mine did. Then again I'm not a doctor, it's just my .02
Old 10-09-2009, 02:35 PM   #14
Tish Traster

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielle Marcellino View Post
A friend of mine wanted to give crossfit a try, so I started her off with WOD #1 from the intro wods we found online (i think its called the "on ramp" prgrm from one of the cali gyms).

The wod was: 200m run,15,12,9 of squats-push up (on her knees)-body pulls on the rings, finish with 200m run, for time of course.
She runs every now and then and is active but not on any exercise regiment. Here is the issue, she got half way through the workout and felt sick, puked and had to lay down for about 45 mins.. it was august and hot so I HONESTLY took it easy on her and didn't try to push her too much because i wanted her to want to come back! Three days later her arm was so sore she couldn't straighten it... she recovered...fast forward to this past Tuesday and the same thing happened again! My brother and I have run over a dozen new people through this work out (even my dad who NEVER exercised) and haven't run into this issue with anyone but her. Does anyone have any idea what is going on, or have any advise, because she wants to keep trying but I'm afraid of breaking her!
First, are you CrossFit Certified? At least Level 1? I assume you are, since you are training clients in the CrossFit method. That being said, if the workout made her sick and induced a mild case of rhabdo the first time, why would you run her through it again without scaling?

Look at the workout. The subsets of 15-12-9 are 5s-4s-3s. So, using the subsets, scale the workout to a 100m run and a 10-8-6 or scale it even further to a 5-4-3. Scale way back and bring her on board very slowly.

Good Luck,

Tish
Old 10-09-2009, 03:08 PM   #15
Danielle Marcellino

Profile:

WOAH! lets not go crazy with throwing the rhabdo around. she most definately did not have rhabdo.
yes im cert-ed lv 1 (and other certs) AND both she and i have degrees in exercise physiology, so im not a random exercise bone head out destroying people.

this was not too much exercise for her and she agrees. she's a healthy 38 yr old and HAS pushed herself hard in the past but has never felt like THIS before.. i was just wondering if anyone else had come across this too because this was not what I expected from someone like her. My mom and 62 yr old aunt (who has a laundry list of medical issues) completed the onramp program with no problems at all so seeing my friend like this is puzzling. she wants to keep trying so we will see how it pans out.
Old 10-09-2009, 04:19 PM   #16
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
this was not too much exercise for her and she agrees. she's a healthy 38 yr old and HAS pushed herself hard in the past but has never felt like THIS before..
Sorry, I'm with Tish. She threw up, she had to lie down for 45 minutes, and she couldn't straighten her arms for three days? OF COURSE the workout was too much!!

It doesn't matter that others have gone through the workout without problems, or that she thinks she "should have" been fine with it, or even that she is game to try again. Her body said NO, loudly and definitively. It's a trainer's job to listen, even if the trainee won't. Scale it back.

Honestly, if she were my friend, I'd suggest she get to a doctor. If she were a student in one of my (aikido) classes, I'd insist on a doctor's note before I let her back on the mat. Symptoms that severe from a relatively moderate workout are nothing to mess around with.

Katherine
Old 10-09-2009, 04:38 PM   #17
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Madruga View Post
The doctor who witnessed what happened wants me to go see him. I had an appt but my wife decided to go into labor the day of my appt.
I havent rescheduled.
So... Reschedule the appointment!

Between a doctor who has personally seen it happen and random people on the Internet, the doctor gets my vote every time.

Katherine
Old 10-13-2009, 09:07 PM   #18
Lee Sybert

Profile:

Quote:
Three days later her arm was so sore she couldn't straighten it.
Umm, could that be rhabdo?
Old 10-20-2009, 11:53 AM   #19
John Blount

Profile:

I'm thinking it is totally normal; just sounds like me after most of my workouts now because of the intensity and pushing myself.

I was introduced a couple months ago to crossfit after watching a video of some guy do “Heavy Fran” in like 5 minutes and boasted to my friends (who are crossfitters) that I could beat that guys time and I’m only half his size. They laughed at me and said alright, how about you just do regular “Fran” and see how you do. They explained the workout to me and I was thinking that I would’nt even break a sweat.

“Ready, Set, GO” they shouted; still on the first set of thrusters, huffing and puffing, I could practically taste the gum on the bottom of my shoe. 12 minutes 58 seconds later the beat-down was finally over. “Nice time” they told me laughingly, as I was clutching a waste basket waiting to vommit. Three hours later, when the urge to vommit left me, I tracked them back down and told them I was hooked. Also worthy to note I was very sore for 4-5 days after that.

And while I'm not saying that people should ignore doctors I would suggest taking anything they say with a grain of salt. I can't tell you how many times I have been missdiagnosed while having serious injuries.

Here is the skinny on Rhabdo if anyone is not to sure what it is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhabdomyolysis WFS
Old 10-20-2009, 12:14 PM   #20
Ed Haywood

Profile:

Quote:
First, are you CrossFit Certified? At least Level 1? I assume you are, since you are training clients in the CrossFit method.
This is baloney. She's not a "client" unless she is paying. There is absolutely no requirement to be level I certified to help a friend get started with Crossfit. If that were the case, the Crossfit community would be a fraction of it's current size.

Last edited by Ed Haywood : 10-20-2009 at 12:20 PM.