CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-31-2009, 06:43 AM   #41
Kurt Armbruster

Profile:
Re: What to serve a vegan?

Wasn't nearly this exact conversation the topic of an episode of the original Twilight Zone?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/To_Serv...ilight_Zone%29

(WFS)
Old 08-31-2009, 07:44 AM   #42
Eric R Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Cohen View Post

BTW, quite a few Jews eat pork.
And lobster! My personal favorite.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:44 AM   #43
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

Quote:
I don't see what's with the hating on the vegetarians.
Strawman.
Old 08-31-2009, 02:27 PM   #44
Matthew Powell

Profile:

I can understand vegans having strong feelings on the matter - for them it is (generally) a moral choice.

But why should I, as a meat eater, care? I have no stake in being offended by their denial of our glorious omnivorous past, blah blah blah.

If I invite someone over to my home, I'm going to try to make them comfortable. If that means bringing in a six pack of beer I don't like, or cooking a vegan option, fine - it was my choice to invite that person. If I don't care enough to alter my menu/purchases, then I shouldn't have invited that person to start with.

I'm certainly not going to get self-righteous over the menu. Politeness trumps all for friendly gatherings.
Old 08-31-2009, 03:07 PM   #45
David Meverden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
Humans eat meat. We perform better when we eat meat. We are designed to eat other animals. We are predators. We have grown to population to large for predatory hunting to be enought o support us, therefore we go to an agricultural system that can produce more animals and crops then the wild.

I have no problem with industrial meat, except for the fact it's grain fed.
Way to not address my point at all. Having your body run well on a certain food does not remove you from the moral consequences entangled with GETTING that food. But, whatever. After all:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Cohen View Post
Dudes;

Getting way off track here. It's just a basic picnic with a unique guest, not the quest for the meaning of life..............................that would be another thread, another time.
True enough. Moving on (for now . . . muahaha ).

P.S. The Twilight Zone is awesome.
Old 08-31-2009, 03:26 PM   #46
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Meverden View Post
Way to not address my point at all. Having your body run well on a certain food does not remove you from the moral consequences entangled with GETTING that food. But, whatever. After all:
Actually, to some extent it does. Even highly restrictive religious traditions allow exceptions when survival is involved. An Orthodox Jew can drive on the Sabbath in a medical emergency, for instance. Traditions that allow their adherents to eat meat have, by definition, declared that the moral consequences are negligible compared to the benefits.

Where things get morally complicated is when you consider the conditions under which factory farmed animals live. Someone who has no moral qualms about, say, fresh-killed venison, might still have a huge problem with [insert factory farm atrocity here].

But anyway... pass the BBQ sauce, please?

Katherine
Old 08-31-2009, 06:01 PM   #47
David Meverden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post

Where things get morally complicated is when you consider the conditions under which factory farmed animals live. Someone who has no moral qualms about, say, fresh-killed venison, might still have a huge problem with [insert factory farm atrocity here].
I agree. It's amazing the people who will be like "I can't believe you could shoot that poor deer" and then go eat a hamburger.

I think people should have to look the consequences of their actions in the eye. I propose a carnivore card. You can't eat a kind of meat until you slit the throat of at least one of those animals. Maybe butcher it, too.

(Now I'm imagining Jamie bowling people over being like, "I'm first in line, losers! Where's that knife? I hope this cow's grass fed. I've got a BBQ to host!" )
Old 08-31-2009, 06:38 PM   #48
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

Do we have to use a knife?

A club, rock, bare hands?

I am just as baffled at people who buy meat in a grocery store being upset over hunting. I mean, they aren't just steaks, they are cuts of meat that came from a cow that was once alive. If you don't understand that, if you can't comes to terms with that fact that a once living animal died so you can eat, you shouldn't be allowed to eat meat.

My parents and their friends used to buy animals from a farm (cows, pig and some chickens). THe would slaughter the animals, then take them to the butcher and we would have yummy meat for a long time. When I was old enough, I helped with the whole process, including killing the animals.

I think we should all take a minute to think about where our food comes from, what it was before we bought it, whats been done to it in the mean time and so on. It's one thing to start with a living animal and get steak or bacon, or a roast, pulled pork or even quality ground beef. But to think some sentient being was turned into chicken nuggets, or those preformed beef patties or a hotdog, that turns my stomach. The animal deserve better and so do we.

Yeah I meant that to be kind of funny,but I was way off the mark, huh?

And for the record, I've cooked vegan dishes for friends (and gave them as much hell as they gave me). But they didn't spring it on me the day before.

Last edited by Jamie J. Skibicki : 08-31-2009 at 06:39 PM. Reason: I don't bowl people over or call them losers (usually) but the rest is accurate
Old 09-01-2009, 12:27 PM   #49
Kara Govro

Profile:

In that vein, find Peaceable Kingdom on YouTube and watch it. Hunting will look humane.
Old 09-01-2009, 01:17 PM   #50
Lee Sybert

Profile:

This thread should be retitled to "To serve Vegan".