CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 08-19-2009, 11:17 AM   #31
Michael Dries

Profile:
Re: PETA Fail.

I don't understand, Americans generally don't eat whale meat, at least I don't think it's hugely popular and it's not a factor in american obesity.. So going vegetarian isn't going to save any whale.

Was this billboard intended for asia?

Old 08-20-2009, 11:35 PM   #32
Lee Sybert

Profile:

Hmm whale meat sounds good, but for some reason I have always wanted to try panda. The rarer the better.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:46 AM   #33
Robert Newman

Profile:

Wow, I was just about to make a post about this! Totally ****es me off too. PETA sucks!

One thing I will comment on though is there's a trend to say "it's okay, be happy with yourself" to obese people. It should never be okay. No one really wants to end up in a nursing home at the age of 70 or suffer heart attacks. It's becomming taboo to even try to help people now a days. And it really doesn't help that we have all these temporary trend diets. A friend always does the "South Beach Diet" (ketosis diet, I guess? low/no carb) when she wants to rapidly lose weight for vacation. So you lose the weight and stop the diet, then what? It's always the same.. *sigh*

I totally agree with Jim that criticizing the other side of the spectrum (skinny people) is way to acceptable. Neither is healthy, and being a 130 lb guy in high school wasn't really that much fun either.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:54 AM   #34
Kara Govro

Profile:

I don't think the skinny people who are being criticized are generally any healthier than big people. I'm not talking about skinny kids in high school getting teased - everyone gets teased for something.

Cocaine chic got that name for a reason, and the ultra skinny (though still skinny fat) celebrities are *not* setting a good example for young girls. Neither are their fat parents, but I think the dangers of starvation, particuarly for teens, are more immediate.

Reandom: I had a woman walk up to me on the street once and try to sell me MediFast. She had seen me checking nutrition labels on the food at Starbucks and said that since she could tell I was concerned/interested in my health I should consider this program. I've tried MediFast. It's nasty. And it's not healthy, IMO. Regardless of the mix of vitamins they put in it's liquid, chemical, fake food. And it's not about lifestyle. It's about a quick fix for the morbidly obese. I was appalled. Mind you, she didn't ask how I eat or if I was working out - just tried to sell me her garbage.
Old 08-22-2009, 01:52 PM   #35
David Gray

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett Dartt View Post
LOL

heres a hilarious onion video on peta and how their treatment of women is inhumane.
http://www.theonion.com/content/vide..._decries_petas NSFW for partially naked women from PETA adds
The scrolls on the bottom are the best--"Anheuser-Busch releases new beer-flavored Budweiser."
Old 08-24-2009, 07:10 AM   #36
Yahya Kohgadai

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
I'm not sure which annoys me more, people whining about being insensitive to fat people, PETA or outright lies?
Seriously! I could care less about the woman being offended, all I could think about was, "are they trying to say that going vegetarian will help you lose weight?!??!!"
Old 08-24-2009, 09:34 PM   #37
Jae Chung

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam adkins View Post
That was my point. It is like saying those who floss are less likely to develop heart disease. Clearly there is no causative relationship between the two but those who floss tend to lead healthier lifestyles in general.
Um, isn't it possible that there is a causative link because flossing tends to reduce inflammation in the gums, and lower amounts of inflammation in the body leads to reduced risk of heart disease?
Old 08-25-2009, 07:47 AM   #38
adam adkins

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae Chung View Post
Um, isn't it possible that there is a causative link because flossing tends to reduce inflammation in the gums, and lower amounts of inflammation in the body leads to reduced risk of heart disease?
Possible i guess but not likely. Studies show that those with unhealthy gums generally have more overall body inflammation, which, as you pointed out, is a predictor of heart disease. But there is nothing to suggest that simply reducing the inflammation in the gums could significantly reduce one's risk of heart disease. Instead, flossing is correlative to a healthy lifestyle which would mean lower body inflammation, in the gums as well as the rest of the body, and thereby lowering the risk of heart disease.

There could be a stronger argument for causative relating to certain types of bacteria present in the mouth of a non-flosser and heart disease but even that is a stretch.
Old 08-25-2009, 10:59 AM   #39
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam adkins View Post
Possible i guess but not likely. Studies show that those with unhealthy gums generally have more overall body inflammation, which, as you pointed out, is a predictor of heart disease. But there is nothing to suggest that simply reducing the inflammation in the gums could significantly reduce one's risk of heart disease. Instead, flossing is correlative to a healthy lifestyle which would mean lower body inflammation, in the gums as well as the rest of the body, and thereby lowering the risk of heart disease.

There could be a stronger argument for causative relating to certain types of bacteria present in the mouth of a non-flosser and heart disease but even that is a stretch.

Yup, just like clean-shaven men are less likely to have heart complications. I really doubt it has anything to do with shaving or not, but rather the fact that clean-shaven men tend to take better care of their appearance and their bodies than unshaven men (with notable exceptions).
Old 08-25-2009, 11:02 AM   #40
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post
Yup, just like clean-shaven men are less likely to have heart complications. I really doubt it has anything to do with shaving or not, but rather the fact that clean-shaven men tend to take better care of their appearance and their bodies than unshaven men (with notable exceptions).
umm... what? Or was that paragraph for illustrative purposes only?