CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 08-06-2009, 06:28 PM   #11
Steve Serrano

Profile:
Re: Navy Times Crossfit Article

Good job on the write up Brian.

Thanks again for your help with Medical at the Games. Your contribution there was considerable too.

See you soon.
Old 08-06-2009, 06:32 PM   #12
Andrew H. Meador

Profile:
Re: Navy Times Crossfit article

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Silverman View Post
Here's what you do: have the article photocopied and then have an insider clandestine-like drop it unto the desks of the higher-ups working in the offices at your installation.
Already on it. First I have to buy a ski mask. WARNO pending.
Old 08-06-2009, 06:49 PM   #13
Mark Martinez

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Thurmond View Post
I wrote it for the Military Times. Yes it is good press for us that is why I did it. I will have a new column out every month and I hope that it continues to be good for the community.
Good article. Did that make it into the AF Times too?

I saw someone doing yesterday's mainsite WOD almost simultaneously with me yesterday.

CF population is slowly growing here finally.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:45 PM   #14
Brian Thurmond

Profile:

Steve,

Thanks man. I really appreciate that.
I will have them coming out monthly in the Army, Navy, Marine, Air force(Just Kidding Air force) Times. They will all be about CrossFit and quote the CrossFit super stars heavily, like coach and Dr K Star and coach. They are all about getting the word out to those few hold outs or those that have been living under rocks in the service of our country. After a few have come out, I plan on dropping a whole big load about MCCS Camp Pendleton and its role in trying to suppress Operation Phoenix. Those are my goals and my agendas, Promote superior fitness through self mutilation with CrossFit as opposed to self masturbation through the globo gym and to get the word out to service men and women that there is equipment for them, waiting to be delivered to their units. All their unit commanders have to do is ask for it and sign a silly little form saying; yes I want this generous donation of equipment from CrossFit to our unit so that we can better prepared to close with and destroy the enemy.
P.S. Tomorrow is my last day in the Canoe Club. Over 14 years of service and I will be an active duty Sailor/ Special Amphibious Reconnaissance Corpsman no more. Anybody got a line on a job? I kept my canteen cup so that I can collect change down at the beach.

Last edited by Lynne Pitts : 08-07-2009 at 10:29 PM.
Old 08-06-2009, 11:53 PM   #15
William Jackson

Profile:

This was the first article i had seen that shed a positive light on Cf (in military). funny, today is when i finally read it.
Constructive Ctiticism: for the amount of space given for the article, good representation of the workouts: nancy, hang power clean singles, 30 muscle ups. the problem is most people i work with "train" specifically for the PRT and they would not understand the metcon "intensity" of nancy (if i got to run 1.5 miles, why would i train using 1/4mile?) and it's carryover benefits.
most of the spread was the 10 aspects of fitness. absolutely fundamental but i imagine most of "them" looked at those and said "so what? how does that help me stay in the navy?"
very little time describing functional fitness and IWCABTAMD. if a mass circulated article could explain why doing every conceivable physical movement better means you will be better at pushups, situps, and running, there would be skeptics but some fish would bite.

again, great article for a crossfitter. most casual PRT trainees will not be covinced IMO. I think if we can convince enough people to do CF that we have the number of FEP attendees drop, and we ask them what got them there, then the higher-ups will take notice. its the navy. if the captains PRT failure rate for the command drop, he will start telling other acedemy brothers or others he/she has met, then we will see more of a pronounced push towards CF
Old 08-07-2009, 12:56 AM   #16
Brian Thurmond

Profile:

The Navy PRT was the least of my concerns pertaining to the column in the Military Times. It went out to all the branches not just the Navy. The goal is not to spread the word to just any one branch but to all of them. Some branches like the Marines seem to have caught on quicker.
I don't think that the PRT failure or pass rate is an issue so much as overall health as it pertains to fitness. The PRT gives no real indication of one’s overall fitness, which is what the Navy and other military organizations don't seem to grasp. Is the goal to pass the PRT or is the goal to maintain as much functional capacity for as long as humanly possible? (I stole that from coach, just changed it a little) The goal is to be ready for the unknown and unknowable, sort of like I alluded to in the column. The bigger picture is that **** happens to you and your shipmates when you least expect it and it's best to be prepared for that, PRT be damned.
I have more columns coming out soon, monthly and some are on topics that quote GG heavily on being prepared for any eventuality.
Old 08-09-2009, 07:25 PM   #17
Lara Lewis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Thurmond View Post
Steve,

Thanks man. I really appreciate that.
I will have them coming out monthly in the Army, Navy, Marine, Air force(Just Kidding Air force) Times. They will all be about CrossFit and quote the CrossFit super stars heavily, like coach and Dr K Star and coach. They are all about getting the word out to those few hold outs or those that have been living under rocks in the service of our country. After a few have come out, I plan on dropping a whole big load about MCCS Camp Pendleton and its role in trying to suppress Operation Phoenix. Those are my goals and my agendas, Promote superior fitness through self mutilation with CrossFit as opposed to self masturbation through the globo gym and to get the word out to service men and women that there is equipment for them, waiting to be delivered to their units. All their unit commanders have to do is ask for it and sign a silly little form saying; yes I want this generous donation of equipment from CrossFit to our unit so that we can better prepared to close with and destroy the enemy.
P.S. Tomorrow is my last day in the Canoe Club. Over 14 years of service and I will be an active duty Sailor/ Special Amphibious Reconnaissance Corpsman no more. Anybody got a line on a job? I kept my canteen cup so that I can collect change down at the beach.
Good job on the article! I am definitely looking forward to these. Thanks!

Old 08-12-2009, 10:42 AM   #18
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:

This will make the Navy Enquirer the most CF friendly print publication on the planet. They weren't bad at functional fitness when Nate Morrison was doing Military Muscle, and the guy doing like every other "military muscle article" Rob Thomas has mentioned CF positively. I believe he is secretly one of us, based on his articles. Thanks, Brian, don't worry, the water is warm on the outside.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:47 AM   #19
Casey Raiford

Profile:

I forgot to mention in the first post: really nice work on the article, Brian.

The timing for me was uncanny. I had just taken my new XO to a WOD at the affiliate I run. I was sitting in for the CMC and just kind of dragged him off. Anyway, he did Cindy and was pretty much completely flabbergasted at it. The very next day that issue came out. He immediately directed the CFL to sketch out a plan for end of year money to cert a couple of trainers and buy some gear.

It's true what they say: luck is the juncture of opportunity and readiness.
Old 08-16-2009, 12:20 AM   #20
Brian Thurmond

Profile:

Thanks guys,

Please keep in mind that on these columns, the editors (21 of them) cut out a lot of the stuff that I try to put in there and they tend to re-word some things. They have a line count for a page similar to a word count. Anyway, I just wanted to throw out that disclaimer so that if there is something that looks poorly or not fully explained then that is why. The good news is that I will be able to do a few of them, if something gets cut and I don't notice it right away I can add it for the next time. Also it seems that the online article at military times does not cut as much as the actual paper does. Even still I am glad that it is getting printed.
Thanks for all of the kind words, I appreciate it.