CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 07-23-2009, 09:20 AM   #151
Pedro Nabais

Profile:
Re: CF Games to test for Steroids!

Is it possible that no one has tested positive? Maybe this is proof that there were no cheaters among the Games....

Nevertheless after watching this video I noticed that it's said somewhere the heat and hidration problems "prevented" some competitors of giving an urine analysis?!

I've been called a paranoid in the past but I thought I should bring this up for consideration.

:stir:
Old 07-23-2009, 10:47 AM   #152
Joe Cavazos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro Nabais View Post
Nevertheless after watching this video I noticed that it's said somewhere the heat and hidration problems "prevented" some competitors of giving an urine analysis?!
Extremely, extremely lame. Of all times, why would the organizers decide to make people **** IMMEDIATELY AFTER a 7.1 km run in brutal heat, and then allow people to skip the testing? They had to have known that people would be dehydrated.

Last edited by Joe Cavazos : 07-23-2009 at 11:15 AM.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:03 PM   #153
Steve Serrano

Profile:

The testing process was run all day Saturday and through Sunday morning. No one was forced to give a sample at any time. Competitors were simply told that they needed to give a sample during the weekend.

There was a station inside the competitor area where staff were available to the competitors as they felt capable or had the time to give a sample. Through the compliance and thoughtfulness of the competitors the testing process was secured at about 1230 on Sunday.
Old 08-25-2009, 09:47 PM   #154
Tim Robinson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Haywood View Post
There is a lot of flawed reasoning in this thread.

First, the fact that we do not ban all substances does not mean we cannot ban some substances. Accepting fish oil does not mean that we must accept steroids. Society makes decisions and draws lines all the time about degrees of badness. Why is 54 MPH legal and 56 MPH illegal? Why is whiskey legal and heroin illegal? Because we as a society decided that was the threshold of risk that we were willing to tolerate. Same with steroids.

Second, steroids do not have to be "inherently unhealthy" in order to be bad. They just have to produce sufficient odds of an unhealthy outcome. Cocaine is not "inherently unhealthy". It is entirely possible to use cocaine without damaging your health. But bitter experience has taught society that unrestrained cocaine consumption comes with all kinds of bad effects for many, many people. It is thus judged an unhealthy practice and outlawed. Same with steroids.

Third, the distinction between use and abuse is irrelevant. Back to drugs. It is entirely possible to use narcotics under the supervision of a doctor and not incur negative side effects. But many people do not use narcotics under the supervision of a doctor. They do it on their own, and it ruins some of their lives. Same with steroids.

Finally, the fact that some athletes use steroids without getting caught does not mean we should not prevent steroid use. As I tell my 8 year old son, just because other kids do it does not mean it is right.

Of course steroids are cheating.

Bravo!

The reasons to take steroids are obvious.

The fact that the reasons not to take them seem less obvious (to many), is what I find disturbing.

I have been lifting weights and into fitness and exercise for close to 35 years and have never taken them, and never would.

A few points before I clam up:

1. The juiced guy at your gym is not an expert on steroids, not matter how much he impresses you. While someone may smoke, do you seriously think they are an expert on the dangers of smoking? Rationalizing reasons for the use of steroids is not the same as giving legitimate reasons for their use. I have seen a lot of rationalizations for their use and few real reasons.

2. There are people in this world that would give anything for a normal, healthy body. Those who would take an "overly" healthy body and risk that health by using steroids, hgh or other enhancers would seem almost immoral (to me).

3. In the end, whether to use them or not is up to you. Find as much information as you can, make sure the information is from legitimate medical sources and not your local guru.

4. The Libertarian in me truly believes that people should be able to use and do what they want in the privacy of their own home. However, personal integrity should dictate that just because you can do something doesn't necessarily mean that you should.

I hope I didn't offend anyone, these are just my opinions on a subject I care deeply about.

Last edited by Tim Robinson : 08-25-2009 at 09:49 PM.
Old 08-25-2009, 10:32 PM   #155
Stu Christensen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Haywood
Originally Posted by Ed Haywood
There is a lot of flawed reasoning in this thread.

First, the fact that we do not ban all substances does not mean we cannot ban some substances. Accepting fish oil does not mean that we must accept steroids. Society makes decisions and draws lines all the time about degrees of badness. Why is 54 MPH legal and 56 MPH illegal? Why is whiskey legal and heroin illegal? Because we as a society decided that was the threshold of risk that we were willing to tolerate. Same with steroids.

Second, steroids do not have to be "inherently unhealthy" in order to be bad. They just have to produce sufficient odds of an unhealthy outcome. Cocaine is not "inherently unhealthy". It is entirely possible to use cocaine without damaging your health. But bitter experience has taught society that unrestrained cocaine consumption comes with all kinds of bad effects for many, many people. It is thus judged an unhealthy practice and outlawed. Same with steroids.

Third, the distinction between use and abuse is irrelevant. Back to drugs. It is entirely possible to use narcotics under the supervision of a doctor and not incur negative side effects. But many people do not use narcotics under the supervision of a doctor. They do it on their own, and it ruins some of their lives. Same with steroids.

Finally, the fact that some athletes use steroids without getting caught does not mean we should not prevent steroid use. As I tell my 8 year old son, just because other kids do it does not mean it is right.

Of course steroids are cheating.
I missed this post eariler and all I can say is wow.

I do agree, that if steroids are banned, then taking them and competing in the sport in which they are banned is cheating.

Also, society does make decisions on what's right and what's wrong...but with steroids, I think you are uneducated. The FDA and DEA recommended steroids NOT be banned, and the gov't did it anyways...that's not society...or even close. The FDA and DEA are the experts, but once again, good 'ol uncle sam dicates otherwise. I'm not saying that they shouldn't be banned, but that the reasoning you use is incorrect.

Bitter experience by cocaine use, I can buy that. When's the last time a steroid user mugged a friend or family member for $20 and their next injection.... oh that's right... about 1/1,000,000 of the chance of the cocaine user.

Steroids have ruined lives, I would but that as well. But so has money, love, food, etc. You can't use such broad comparisons and think you're actually intelligently disputing your point.

I'm not FOR steroids, I am just whole-heartedly against the unintelligent biased and uninformed opinions of most people when it comes to steroids.
Old 08-25-2009, 10:38 PM   #156
Alex McRobie

Profile:

if steroids are banned they are banned, if someone breaks that rule, they are cheating, simple as that.

i fully support the ban, now we can be confident that all the people that compete for the fittest man and woman comp are clean.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:07 AM   #157
Stu Christensen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex McRobie View Post
if steroids are banned they are banned, if someone breaks that rule, they are cheating, simple as that.

i fully support the ban, now we can be confident that all the people that compete for the fittest man and woman comp are clean.
To play devil's advocate, you're incorrect. Its not that they are guaranteed clean, its they they passed the test. BIG difference. I wish everyone realized this and woke up to the fact that despite passing a test, it by no means indicates the "clean" aspect of that athlete. Which is why I have personally seen two guys "on" pass a pee test to "prove" they're clean by a federation. Wake up people.

I do agree though, if someone is "on"... they're cheating if they compete in CrossFit. Period.
Old 08-27-2009, 07:18 AM   #158
Joshua Murphy

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Christensen View Post
To play devil's advocate, you're incorrect. Its not that they are guaranteed clean, its they they passed the test. BIG difference. I wish everyone realized this and woke up to the fact that despite passing a test, it by no means indicates the "clean" aspect of that athlete. Which is why I have personally seen two guys "on" pass a pee test to "prove" they're clean by a federation. Wake up people.

I do agree though, if someone is "on"... they're cheating if they compete in CrossFit. Period.
Very important distinction...

"Warp Spasm" courtesy of http://www.anne-madden.com/LeBPages/...bration21.html (WFS)
Old 08-28-2009, 12:32 AM   #159
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

from what I hear and have read, the latest drug tests are running in second place compared to the latest ways to pass those tests.
Old 08-28-2009, 03:26 AM   #160
Alex McRobie

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair Robert Lowe View Post
from what I hear and have read, the latest drug tests are running in second place compared to the latest ways to pass those tests.
that is true, the drugs are always one step ahead because organisers have to know about them to stop them.

the point is that CF isnt exactly a sport where someone is going to go and get top of the line PEDs just so they can pass the tests. we are not quite at Olympic status yet...