CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-24-2009, 09:42 PM   #1
Christian Gotcher

Profile:
"Wild" Fitness Article

http://www.menshealth.com/cda/articl...eac____&page=1 (wfs)

It's a fascinating approach to fitness, something that combines many of the elements of fitness we usually consider as being attached to Crossfit and Parkour. "Being fit isn't about being able to lift a steel bar or finish an Ironman." That's a powerful statement, one with considerable application for us.

Sometimes, in our programming, we get locked into modes no less powerfully than a globo-goer. The leg extension machine is step A. Perhaps the barbell is the next step towards the 'real-life' experience Crossfit is meant to prepare people for. Then, perhaps, the kettlebell and dumbbell, the sandbag and the rock. Then people, maybe?

And what about places? Can we do Fran with a heavy sandbag and a rock ledge? Can you do a MU on an overarching lightpost? Can you walk your hands sideways along a wall or hold a handstand freestanding? As much as I need the structure of the gym environment sometimes, I think the article does a good job of demonstrating how even the most 'functional' exercises are still not quite there. There's always some way to get closer to your end goal.
M/22/155|Murph-28:19|Helen-9:39|Annie- 5:12|CFT-700|1.5 Mile-8:35|Strict PU-24|Fran-5:24 log
Old 03-24-2009, 10:17 PM   #2
Jibreel Freeland

Profile:
Re: "Wild" Fitness Article

I agree. There is nothing weights and bars have to offer that nature does not have better.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:18 PM   #3
Jibreel Freeland

Profile:

Scratch that. Nature can not mimic the still rings.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:23 PM   #4
Rafe Kelley

Profile:

Glad to see this getting attention, I have been working with Erwan for the last two years he is a pretty amazing athlete and the methods he preaches are very applicable to those who see functional movement as that which was evolutionary usefull an explanation that of course appeals to me allot. I think allot of crossfitters would benefit from experiencing the challenges of moving different types of objects of trying to perform on various types of terrain etc etc.

If you want more information check out his site movnat.com and you can check out my blog at www.naturalathletics.blogspot.com both work and family safe
Old 03-25-2009, 10:46 AM   #5
Roger Harrell

Profile:

Ok, yeah doing runs in the outdoors, climbing, swinging, etc are a fantastic PART of your training. It is not necessarily the be all end all. Someone who trains a combination of the loaded movements with stuff like this will be superior. There are things that we can do in a gym with equipment that are very difficult to simulate outside with just nature, and vice versa. Bottom line is we can't get too caught up in "our methods" and always keep an open mind about other options and if someone can show us a better way, adopt it.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:51 AM   #6
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

Dinosaur training anyone?
Old 03-25-2009, 11:21 AM   #7
Rafe Kelley

Profile:

I think we might disagree on its total importance of the running, climbing swinging stuff but that is fine. One thing important to understand about movnat or its forefather methode naturelle is that its not just bodyweight training or a cardio scheme as the article implies, weight lifting, carrying, throwing and catching are all important elements and the unique challenges offered by rocks, logs and human bodies in accomplishing these tasks are developmental in my opinion of type of functional capacity that barbell, dumbbells, and kettlebells can't completely replace. Not that I don't like working with those tools I think the infinite scalability and simpleness to use of barbells and dumbbells tools makes them incredible useful for linear strength training , and kettlebells are just tremendous fun. Still I think the amount of people who are not spending enough time lifting weights cause their too busy climbing trees and throwing rocks around is probably very few and its not imbalance that needs to be corrected. Were as I think far too few people are getting out and experiencing and adapting to the challenges of movement in the world outside the gym.

Last edited by Rafe Kelley : 03-25-2009 at 11:23 AM. Reason: Grammar
Old 03-25-2009, 11:35 AM   #8
Thomas Bailly

Profile:

Nice that "fitness" everywhere is evolving into where it came from (sounds odd...but)
Old 03-25-2009, 05:33 PM   #9
Jibreel Freeland

Profile:

Regarding Movenat:

I disagree with Erwan in that I don't think it is his place to make a 'system' out of 'natural'. To me, the systems that humans create, like measurement of reps, distance, speed, weight, etc, are unnatural. So I just don't see the benefit of creating a system unless the goal is to be elected an authority and somehow gain power from it. Hence Erwan attempting to capitalize on running around half naked, carrying boulders, and climbing trees. I had a long debate with Erwan on one of his old youtube pages about this. I think he is faulty in his thinking. Trying to create a middle man between mother nature and anyone through systemic implementation is like getting between a baby and a nursing breast. It is faulty. Our relationships with nature are all very personal and systems have no place in that. (End hippie diatribe here.)

Rings:

Back to the still rings not being available in nature- the only movement I can see that is 'natural' that mimics the upper body muscular tension and multi-plane nature of the still rings is wrestling. Having to do push up type movements with double one's own body weight (as in wrestling when an opponent is on your back), as far as I can tell, is the ONLY way to challenge the upper body like the rings do, without rings or a gym.
Old 03-25-2009, 06:02 PM   #10
David Vessey

Profile:

I liked this: "In a pinch, can a man put gym-generated biceps and tank-tread abs to any real use? Could it be that our treadmill-running, elliptical-gliding, well-oiled Cybex world has turned us into show dogs who can't hold our own in the hunt?"

Quote:
Next, Hebert set to work on an outdoor training facility. He designed it to look like a giant playground, equipping it with climbing towers, vaulting horses, sandpits, and ponds. Scattered about were rocks and logs and long poles to be used for throwing, or balancing, or passing hand-to-hand while running, or anything else an athlete dreamed up at the moment. Hebert had only one firm rule: No competing. When you try to beat the other guy, he believed, you test the other man's weaknesses and not your own.
I can't see many CF'ers agreeing completely with the above. As we all know, 'men will die for points'. Competition, in the right environment, only helps fitness.

Interesting article though, thanks for the link!