CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-18-2009, 11:08 AM   #1
Nathan Cragg

Profile:
Deployment Fitness Guide

So I've put together a rough draft of a Deployment Fitness Guide. I'd like you guys to check it out and tell me what you think. And if you have any idea's or questions by all means shoot them to me. I'm gonna try and make this public in April. Right now it's just my newsletter subscribers and a couple others. Being the Crossfit forum, I may get flamed for some of my views of CF in reference to deployment fitness. So go in knowing that, try to keep an unbiased view of the overall product, not one or two sections of it.

Deployment Fitness Guide May not be work safe as I make fun of people

Like I said it's just some stuff that whirls around my head, so it may seem a bit dissorganized. I may have to start putting each section on a different page. It's got a couple video's so it may load slow. Let me know about that as well.

Thanks

Nathan
Old 03-18-2009, 11:50 AM   #2
Matt Rexin

Profile:
Re: Deployment Fitness Guide

Hey, it was a good read. I especially enjoyed the use of the word "fobbit". The advice on setting up equipment was useful. The things I would do to improve the article would be to just clean it up ( maybe clean up the language, depending on the audience), make your transitions a little better between subjects and if possible, give a more detailed description of the CNS demands when military/police/ firefighters have to conduct missions, taskings, fighting structural fires, etc.
What I mean by that is that if someone was to go into the article without understanding the demands that are placed on the body by performing tasks in theater and the lack of accessibility to a set sleeping schedule and home cooked meals, they might not understand completely. It might be useful to include some information on it.

I still found it a very good read, these are just some suggestions and feedback that I hope you find useful.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:18 PM   #3
Nathan Cragg

Profile:

Awesome that's what I was looking for. I know the transitions need some work. I may need to put them on seperate pages anyways due to size.

I'll see what I can work up for CNS demands. So far everyone has understood what was going on, but that's the professionals talking. If this gets mass distro'd I'll have to get more backround in. Language should be fine, the intended audience will have large doses of Testosterone
Old 03-19-2009, 07:49 AM   #4
Ryan Whitley

Profile:

When do you run in your program?
Old 03-19-2009, 09:59 AM   #5
Beau Bryant

Profile:

This should be interesting. I'll check back tomorrow.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:28 AM   #6
Nathan Cragg

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Whitley View Post
When do you run in your program?
On mission Honestly there is no program, only samples and guidelines as of now.

But I would do intervals of 800M and less on your high intensity day if you chose to follow the 4X7 format. Unless you're training for the PT test, then I would just follow the Crossfit Endurance protocols on your high intensity day with your minimum pushups done non-stop prior to the runs. Situps as well if you have rare grassy field in the desert or pad near your running area.

If not following the 4X7 format, just do the same intervals or CFE workout 2-3 times a week and some strength training 2-3 times a week.

But as can be guessed training for the PT test is not ideal if you're running missions. I'd rather fail at numbers than fail a mission. Check your workload and adjust accordingly, survival is just a tiny bit more important than a flag.

I think a whole treatsie could go into how garrisoning combat zones is putting guys at risk with pressure to perform garrison and admin tasks on top of mission load, but that's a whole other article

But with that, I should probably address the PT test as it is becoming way too common over there. I'll start working on that.

Thanks again guys

Nathan

Last edited by Nathan Cragg : 03-19-2009 at 11:30 AM.
Old 03-20-2009, 12:29 AM   #7
Harley Jennings

Profile:

I think this hits a lot of different topics that are great points for Soldiers in a Combat Zone. To me, the over arching LOE in your guide is "getting a good workout, while not sacrificing mission readiness". This is a strong point as you do see a lot of guys deploy with the main goal of bodybuilding in mind.

With that said, I wouldn't address the PT test. I think it is a mute point. Most of us that would get anything from this guide have no issues with a 300 PT test and certainly do not "train" for the pt test. Plus, I might be wrong, but the General Order still stands that Soldiers cannot be flagged from a failed PT test in combat, only H/W flags can be initiated for the fatties.

Other than that, I would use this guide with my Soldiers. Might think about toning down the "Fobbits" speak. The term was big in OIF II, kind of lossed its power in the last 4 years. A lot of those guys didn't choose to be in a leaf eater MOS and would kill at the chance to be at the side of us who do bust the wire on a daily basis.

Food for thought.
M/27/5'10''/200lbs/13%BF BS 365#/ SP 205#/ DL 425#/ BP 345#/ PC 235#/ FS 265#/ CJ 225#/ THR 225#/ Liz 6:11/ Murph 39:00My Log
Old 03-20-2009, 01:00 AM   #8
Nathan Cragg

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley Jennings View Post
I think this hits a lot of different topics that are great points for Soldiers in a Combat Zone. To me, the over arching LOE in your guide is "getting a good workout, while not sacrificing mission readiness". This is a strong point as you do see a lot of guys deploy with the main goal of bodybuilding in mind.

With that said, I wouldn't address the PT test. I think it is a mute point. Most of us that would get anything from this guide have no issues with a 300 PT test and certainly do not "train" for the pt test. Plus, I might be wrong, but the General Order still stands that Soldiers cannot be flagged from a failed PT test in combat, only H/W flags can be initiated for the fatties.

Other than that, I would use this guide with my Soldiers. Might think about toning down the "Fobbits" speak. The term was big in OIF II, kind of lossed its power in the last 4 years. A lot of those guys didn't choose to be in a leaf eater MOS and would kill at the chance to be at the side of us who do bust the wire on a daily basis.

Food for thought.
Good input. I'm still running some things through my head. I need to work on a CNS load section as I forget most people don't understand your body doesn't know the difference between stressors, just stress. I'm not sure what the current order is. I'm pretty sure you're right, but there was alot of excess pressure to make everyone pass. Our commander stepped over the line a few times threatening flags for PT. I think the LTC put his *** in place

I may be wrong but most guys that actually wanna be outside don't consider themselves fobbits. Fobbitism is a mindset I guess it has lost power since some people didn't even know what it meant this tour

As far as the PT test, I'm making a seperate 'Tips" page. I'll link it to the guide but won't really keep any info in it.

My next goal is to start breaking stuff down more into lists. Then have a quick reference card or something.

Thanks for the feedback guys, keep it coming.

Nathan