CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 01-31-2009, 12:38 PM   #21
Renee Lee

Profile:
Re: Learn something new thread...(Come Contribute!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Sousa View Post
Who would win, ninjas or samurais? :stir:
i maintain that pirates would sail in, drink all the sake, and then leave none alive
Old 01-31-2009, 12:39 PM   #22
Victor Putz

Profile:

Want to read more classical literature? Get more than you will be able to read in your lifetime at Project GutenbergYOU MUST ENSURE YOU ANNOTATE ALL LINKS WHETHER WORK AND FAMILY SAFE..

What's that? You say you don't have a way to read e-books during your commute, but you have an MP3 player and a tolerance for talented amateur readers? Listen to many of the same books instead at LibrivoxYOU MUST ENSURE YOU ANNOTATE ALL LINKS WHETHER WORK AND FAMILY SAFE. (and try not to laugh too much at my dramatic rendition of "The Cask of Amontillado").

Last edited by Lynne Pitts : 02-01-2009 at 04:33 PM.
Old 01-31-2009, 12:50 PM   #23
John Seiler

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristi Folowell View Post
Also a bounty dryer sheet in your pocket will keep mosquitos away.
I think I'll make a shirt out of them!
Old 01-31-2009, 02:46 PM   #24
David Reed

Profile:

1. Stumbleupon [WFS] is a great app for Firefox. It's the internet's equivalent of channel surfing for TV.

2. The universe is young. If you take the current age of the universe (approximately 13.7 billion years) and squeeze it into the thickness of a dollar bill, the age that the universe is going to live to be would create a stack of dollar bills so high it wouldn't fit into the universe. On the flip side, if you took the entire history of the universe and condensed it into a year, a human life would last about .2 seconds. Agriculture has existed for less than 30 seconds, and homo sapiens have only been around for less than 8 minutes. The solar system only came about 4 months ago.

3. If you want to make your long runs more manageable, try mixing in walking with the running. For a 10 minute mile pace, run 3 minutes, walk 1 minute, for a 9 minute mile pace, run 4, walk 1, and for an 8 minute mile pace, run 4, walk 35 seconds. This strategy will reduce the risk of injury and I am actually faster running and walking than I am just running the entire time.

4. Schizophrenia is NOT a split personality disorder. Thanks, "Me, Myself, and Irene."

5. It is estimated that 25,000 children die of starvation everyday.

Last edited by David Reed : 01-31-2009 at 02:50 PM.
Old 01-31-2009, 03:09 PM   #25
David Vessey

Profile:

1. Wireless internet is not secure by default. Using WEP is as good as leaving your router open. MAC filtering helps, but not by much - it is very easy for someone to find out which MACs are associated to an access point and change their own MAC address to one of the allowed ones.

You're best bet to secure your own home wireless network is to use WPA2 encryption, with a very long, as random as possible (ie/ just pound at the keyboard) key that you copy/paste to each computer that requires access.

2. Having a password to log in to Windows does not mean your data is secure if your computer or laptop is stolen. The computer can be booted using a bootable CD or the hard drive can simply be removed and an attacker can access all of your data. The only way to guarantee that your information is protected when someone gets physical access to your computer is through the use of encryption
Old 01-31-2009, 04:04 PM   #26
Bryan Veis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee Lee View Post
this is amazing to learn...but will it attract other flying bugs of DOOM?

(like wasps and bees and things with stingers)
Bees are not insects of "doom," in fact you should thank the little girls whenever you see them. (The vast majority of the honey bees you see will be workers (female), not drones (male).) The U.S. Department of Agriculture estimates that about one-third of the human diet is derived from insect-pollinated plants and that the honey bee is responsible for 80 percent of this pollination.

In addition, of the common bees, only the honey bee and the bumble bee have stingers. Sweat bees can be also bothersome, as they will land and lick the sweat off animals and humans, but they will sting only if you swat at them, though. Orchard bees, carpenter bees, mason bees, and other common bees won't hurt you. There are more than 3500 species of solitary bees (i.e., bees that do not live in colonies) in North America.

The best species name for a native bee, in my opinion, is the Shaggy Fuzzyfoot Bee (Anthophora pilipes), which pollinates blueberries.

Wasps and yellowjackets, on the other hand, can be nasty to deal with. One way to keep their populations low is to increase the number of honey bees in the area -- they compete for the same nectar, so more bees mean fewer wasps. Honey bees (at least non-Africanized honey bees) won't bother you if you don't bother them.
Old 01-31-2009, 04:09 PM   #27
Andrew Thompson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Slater View Post
Corned beef and strawberry jam don't work well in a sandwich together.
I imagine not, but corned beef does goes great in tacos! There is an Irish restaurant/pub in San Diego that does corned beef tacos. Mmmmm

On that note (Irish pub), a lot of Irish and English pubs will do a New Year's celebration complete with live music and countdown at 4:00 PM (here on the West Coast) since it is midnight in Ireland and England.

Burt's Bees Hand Salve is the BEST stuff to use to heal a tattoo.

Last edited by Andrew Thompson : 01-31-2009 at 04:14 PM.
Old 01-31-2009, 04:12 PM   #28
Andrew Thompson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Reed View Post
2. The universe is young. If you take the current age of the universe (approximately 13.7 billion years) and squeeze it into the thickness of a dollar bill, the age that the universe is going to live to be would create a stack of dollar bills so high it wouldn't fit into the universe. On the flip side, if you took the entire history of the universe and condensed it into a year, a human life would last about .2 seconds. Agriculture has existed for less than 30 seconds, and homo sapiens have only been around for less than 8 minutes. The solar system only came about 4 months ago.
You just made my head hurt.
Old 01-31-2009, 05:23 PM   #29
Renee Lee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Veis View Post
Bees are not insects of "doom," in fact you should thank the little girls whenever you see them. (The vast majority of the honey bees you see will be workers (female), not drones (male).) The U.S. Department of Agriculture estimates that about one-third of the human diet is derived from insect-pollinated plants and that the honey bee is responsible for 80 percent of this pollination.

In addition, of the common bees, only the honey bee and the bumble bee have stingers. Sweat bees can be also bothersome, as they will land and lick the sweat off animals and humans, but they will sting only if you swat at them, though. Orchard bees, carpenter bees, mason bees, and other common bees won't hurt you. There are more than 3500 species of solitary bees (i.e., bees that do not live in colonies) in North America.

The best species name for a native bee, in my opinion, is the Shaggy Fuzzyfoot Bee (Anthophora pilipes), which pollinates blueberries.

Wasps and yellowjackets, on the other hand, can be nasty to deal with. One way to keep their populations low is to increase the number of honey bees in the area -- they compete for the same nectar, so more bees mean fewer wasps. Honey bees (at least non-Africanized honey bees) won't bother you if you don't bother them.
i don't mind honey bees or bumblebees all that much...but they still make me nervous when they're buzzing around me...i've never been stung

it's the wasps and yellow jackets and hornets are the ones i really ahve issues with.
Old 01-31-2009, 06:24 PM   #30
Johan Nederhof

Profile:

speaking about ninja.
There are, or where 8 distinctive familys or groups in Japan who where ninja. Atleast one of them had water warfare techniques. aka pirates.
Most 'ninja' where samurai family's hunted bij the existing rulers.
It is a tradition about 28 generations old.

Info found via Hatsumi Masaaki,

There are modernday ninja who train the 'old' tenique. They are contrandly being updated. or else they won't work. Very practical people, ninja.

have fun, Johan