CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 08-21-2007, 11:59 PM   #1
Seth Hollen

Profile:
sprained my Left wrist bad...what to avoid?, what can I do?

I sprained my left wrist pretty bad a week ago (Don't try to impress your son with your skateboarding skills when you haven't touched a board in 20 years )
I also split my chin open, and bruised a rib.

I am taking it easy...somewhat. my palms are also bruised from landing but are healing. I can manage pullups with just a little pain.
most of the pain seems to come from compressing the wrist joint...you know like in every exercise with press or jerk in the name.

I have done some OHS using the barbell and dumbbell. if I keep a weight static, the pain is tolerable. Needless to say I have been doing a lot of leg exercises

Also ab work sucks with a bruised rib.

Take care,
Seth

any advice is appreciated!
Old 08-22-2007, 05:32 AM   #2
Ben Kaminski

Profile:
Re: sprained my Left wrist bad...what to avoid?, what can I do?

Working around any injury is an opportunity to pursue some new goals.

Think of all the things you CAN do and pick from those the ones you want to do. Things like one arm pushups, pistols, one arm presses, one arm hangs for time, hanging leg raises, jumping, plyometrics, etc. are some examples, get creative.

Ideally what you choose can in some way contribute to your original goals before the injury, so that when you bounce back, you are closer than before.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:27 PM   #3
Seth Hollen

Profile:

yes- but I don't want to develop my right side for weeks and not do anything with my left. anyone think pullups will be placing too much strain on my wrist?
Old 08-23-2007, 10:13 PM   #4
Craig Brown

Profile:

My man, old men wear lots of gear when we skate for this very reason!

What you can get away with will be totally based on your particular situation. Be nice to the wrists, and work the heck out of everything else. I've had wrist sprains where as long as a dead-straight pull was used, I was cool- so I could do palms facing chins and sumo deads. Just be smart, train smart, and consider it nature's way of making you squat more.

Craig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Hollen View Post
yes- but I don't want to develop my right side for weeks and not do anything with my left. anyone think pullups will be placing too much strain on my wrist?
Old 08-24-2007, 12:02 PM   #5
Kevin McGuinness

Profile:

Your injury sounds similiar to one I'm slowly getting over. I sprained my wrist trying to hold myself up in a rugby tackle last month.

Try alot of pulling movements. I couldn't do ANY pressing exercises either so I did alot of Deadlifts, Sumo DL High Pulls, Pullups and Chinups, any kind of Rows, and lots of Squats.
Old 10-03-2008, 07:46 AM   #6
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

Ok, this thread is old, but I seem to have a similar situation.

I sprained something in my wrist. I believe it was because I went nuts trying to hold high-end grippers, and doing negatives (closing with two hands and trying to hold with just one), and my left hand just got screwed. I've been wearing a wrist brace for 11 days now... no upper body work. Until yesterday, I did a couple of pull-ups post-workout, to see how I would feel today, and it doesn't seem any worse. X-rays didn't show anything so it's a tendon or ligament.

I guess my question is: is it ok to do PULLING movements with it? It seems others have said they have pulled stuff (deads and chins) with sprained wrists. Even if you grip a barbell tight, it's not stressfull for the wrist ligaments/tendons? I'd love to read some more explination on this.
Old 10-03-2008, 08:00 AM   #7
Karin Jonczak

Profile:

I think that old, if it hurts don't do it, is a wise motto (at least when you are talking about healing an injury).
Old 10-03-2008, 11:43 AM   #8
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

Thank you Karin.

That motto becomes obvious after your first injuries. Heh.

My question was more like: "if it does NOT hurt, but still requires that joint to be used somewhat, can I do it?" ...

I did "Death By Pull-Ups" today and it felt perfectly OK... Like I said in my first reply here, I did a few pull-ups yesterday as a test, if today I had no pain (which I didn't), I'd do a workout with them. I think it was a good choice since I had never done it. Got 12 rounds and 11 pull-ups on the 13th minute. They get very hard after the first few rounds! .. This also means I could probably do "Nicole" which came up a few days after I got this pain and was prescribed with a wrist brace. Still sucks not to press anything though. I was thinking of fist-push-ups... maybe the neutral wrist allows one to press without stressing it? I guess I gotta experiment and see
Old 10-09-2008, 10:29 AM   #9
Garth Arevalo

Profile:

I have been dealing with this same pain for the last couple weeks (pain when the wrist is bent back). It is really annoying, and trying to get WODs in has been difficult. I did Barbara but did fist push-ups, as that was not bad. Pull-ups were fine. Regular push-ups would not have been possible. I did Nate with muscle ups on the rings without issues. I put some hex dumbbells on the ground (no parallattes) and did my handstand push-ups grabbing onto these, which allowed my wrist to stay straight. I also used these for push-ups the week prior with good success. I have been staying away from front squats, cleans, jerks, etc. Unfortunately, these have been popping up a bunch in the WODs in these injured weeks. I will have to go with the optimistic approach above and see it as a time to improve other areas (squats two days ago). Still, I am amazed at how much of CF you lose with a bad wrist.