CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-04-2007, 02:59 PM   #11
David Aguasca

Profile:
using CF as an injury prevention program would be a good idea for him, at the least. things like air squats and back squats would help alleviate tight hamstrings (he's a runner, i'm sure he's got 'em) and balance out musculature between antagonistic muscle groups. deadlifts, OHS, and other back-centric exercises help with posture. etc.

that being said, you can always pull out the argument that crossfitters are hotter than marathoners. then you stick out your tongue at him. :harhar00:
Old 07-04-2007, 04:17 PM   #12
Trevor Thompson

Profile:

Marathoning has nothing to do with just running lots and lots and lots at long distances. Running UltraMarathons has a training based in running lots and lots LSD Long and slow slow slow GO GO GO.

1. Some of the most successfull Marathoners, for the way they ran the FIRST Marathon they are famous for are: Frank Shorter, and Alberto Salazar. Want to know something interesting? Alberto and Frank were Middle Distance experts, yes that's right, before they ran a marathon they had never trained to do a marathon SPECIFICALLY. Their training would consist of doing for example 20x400m repeats at 55-58seconds a repeat and then a 45 second rest. AFTER those two ran the marathon and won, they decided to become specifically "Marathoners", what does this mean? it means they dropped the interval training that got them the win in the first place, INSANITY i tell you. They were never as successfull in their old events OR the marathon. Now Alberto specifically went from being a GREAT Marathoner to just very good, why the change?

2. Ultramarathons are the only things you need to go and run 70-170 mile weeks of running for, why is this? because the small intervals in an Ultramarathon are often...a couple of marathons, and you can only run those so fast.

3. Keep up the running, scale back the WOD's and pump up the interval training and i bet the friend of yours will be better rounded, and will have a better Marathon time than ever.

Look up Gordon Pirie and his book on running, it is FREE for download and it will probably change your friends attitude on running forever.
Old 07-05-2007, 11:14 AM   #13
Peter Queen

Profile:
Good luck with the MC marathon John. That is one marathon that I am very seriously contemplating about doing sometime in the next several years. At this particular time in my life I can’t really train for it due to various commitments, but it is starting to look real possible for me to do so sometime in the next several years of the “not too distant future”. Being from DC originally, I never got around to running that one but I have run several marathons while living here in the Midwest. Now I am looking at the MC marathon as the one that got away. Besides, it would be nice to do one in my former hometown.

Anyway, I know that running marathons will greatly reduce the muscle weight and overall fitness appearance of a true CF body, however, it is not something that I feel will harm me greatly. Since I have started CF I have found that my overall stamina, strength and discipline have improved greatly. It gives me a good overall fitness/strength base for which to launch other training disciplines from, even running. I can still kick out a 3 to 5 mile run and then do 20 to 30 minutes of CF on any given day. Of course, I’m pretty useless for the rest of the day,:blush: but it is nice to know that I can do that every now and then during this non-marathon training period of my life. Besides, you are not always training for a marathon 24/7 365 days a year. So doing your off period there is no reason why you can’t go back to CF training if you choose to.
Old 07-05-2007, 07:33 PM   #14
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Moving to Fitness
Old 07-05-2007, 09:30 PM   #15
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:
I would not suggest trying to sell someone on the philosophy of crossfit who is not interested...

Maybe if you beat him at his own sport sometime he will get curious.

Old 07-06-2007, 06:20 AM   #16
John McBrien

Profile:
Thanks Peter! I went to school in D.C. and am from right outside the city so I'm pretty stoked about being able to run it.

I definitely plan on returning to CF once the training is over. The marathon training, and the marathon itself, are/will be a great challenge but I still miss CF!
Old 07-06-2007, 07:36 AM   #17
Paul Mirek

Profile:
I see a lot of people have put their 2 cents or more in, so I am just going to offer my 1 penny of advice. I am doing CrossFit right now within my Marathon training program, and I have seen benefits to my speed and to my overall strength. Now, I am not a super competitive runner, so my experience my be different from those who are running marathons to win (overall or age group). My training calls for a normal intermediate running schedule (Hal Higdon) with an added CrossFit workout after my short, 3 mile runs on Mondays and Wednesdays. I have dropped my pace per miles by about 30 seconds and have seen vast improvements in my overall runner's physique and upper body strength. Some runners may not like the sound of that, but I have found that upper body strength helps me keep an upright form when running and has reduced the strain on my back. If you want to check out how I'm doing this, please check out http://mrmirek.blogspot.com

I try to keep this updated as much as possible to keep others informed. Enjoy!
Old 07-06-2007, 08:27 AM   #18
Gant Grimes

Profile:

Marathoners are almost as irritating and preachy as vegans (forgive me, I work out at Rip's gym).

I like mountain biking, but I will never be a great rider because I don't want to give up 30 pounds of bulk (and lots of training time) just to make a podium. It's a hobby, but not a focus.

Of course there are always exceptions. Some bodies hold mass while others go the POW route. Dean Karnazes, the ultra-marathoner, has a body that any CFer would be proud of.

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/21/44073.jpg
Old 07-06-2007, 08:39 AM   #19
Paul Mirek

Profile:
Ah, Dean! Gotta pick myself up a copy of "Ultramarathon Man."

http://mrmirek.blogspot.com
Old 07-06-2007, 09:15 AM   #20
John McBrien

Profile:
"Ultramarathon Man" is a good book. I really enjoyed reading it - it has a real conversational tone to it. Paul, I try and perform CrossFit in addition to my marathon training and I agree that it helps.

And someone made this point on another thread - I may not be the fastest runner but I know that any non-CF runner who wants to come feast on some CF will be feasting with me and Uncle Pukie. Hah!