CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 07-08-2008, 07:17 AM   #21
Robert Newman

Profile:
Re: Tried everything to help sleep.. no luck.

I don't like taking pills for sleep issues (or anything if at all avoidable). People will argue that it helps you start out, but I think it's a bad habit to get into. I've had a lot of issues with sleep myself. Most of this comes from personal experience, but I hope some will help you out--

1) Learn to tell when your body is tired, and learn to let yourself relax. There's a certain skill involved in this. I think we get so overly tired that we get pushed into some wide awake mode where it takes effort to feel that we're tired. Take a second and try and feel for this. Eyes strained, head soar, all the things that happen when your tired.

2) Electricity is your enemy. If you have to have lights on, I've noticed that the white lights keep you up, but a nice dark orange light (fire colored almost) can be relaxing. Of course, no tv computer etc. If you have a free day, try and go an entire day without turning on a single light, the tv or computer.

3) The sun is your friend. We naturally are meant to sleep when the sun goes down, and wake when it gets up. BUT, we also naturally wake in the middle of the night too. Trying to get a solid 8 hours is unnatural. Read more on 'segmented sleep' and 'second sleep'. It's based on accounts before electricity. This time in the middle of the night was often used as time to talk to neighbors, smoke a pipe, etc. Sleeping like this is the best sleep I have ever gotten. This great;u impacted my day to day life in an amazing way.Sadly, friends in college don't treat you kindly when you want to go to bed at 8 30 on a Friday night...

Another thing to note, after spending a 3 week vacation in the UAE this past winter, I returned about 4pm, waited till sun down and hit the sack. I woke up at 5am, fully energized, and never had jet lag.

4) Stressing about not sleeping only makes it worse. If you find yourself not tired, don't just lay there and force yourself to sleep. Get up and do something low key

5) We all have some sort of a ritual before we go to bed. Brushing the teeth isn't bad, but a shower or washing the face can easily wake you up. Try avoiding it and just crashing into bed (just take good care of your teeth )

6) Sound- don't try to drown out sounds with air filters or that sort of thing. If you're constantly being woken by little noises, get ear plugs. I also like cracking the window and listening to traffic in the distance.

7) Sex, specifically for men, releases some chemical in massive amounts that makes you sleepy. Still, if you're single/inactive then it's 'sub' may help too..

8) Ever try swimming laps? An hour of this straight makes me PTFO like nothing else.

9) Being in the sun makes me tired. My college has a giant lazy river, and after floating around that for a few hours I'm ready to hit the sack. Definitely worth a try, especially since our bodies need sun exposure.

I hope some of this helps man, good luck.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:23 AM   #22
Bobbi Beglau Salvini

Profile:

There are two posts with this same question. Check out the comments under "sleep".
Old 07-10-2008, 07:26 PM   #23
Beth Moscov

Profile:

If you try melatonin, pay attention to your moods if you take it more than two weeks. It can lead to depression in some people. If you already have depression, it is not recommended to use melatonin more than occasionally.
Old 07-12-2008, 10:46 AM   #24
Neil Duncan

Profile:

Been some excellent tips on this thread guys, thanks!

My sleep seems to have improved and I think for a couple main reasons.. I'm guessing main reason is diet change, I thought I was eating right before, was always eating 'healthy' but now I've gone on the zone diet and realised my ratio's were waayyy out, so I'm thinking having the correct hormonal balance has helped me sleep.

Secondly, light. I have always slept with the window open... and still do but I left the blinds open too which was really letting in quite a bit of light, so I've shut them and kept window open.

What does seem to help.. and I have to thank Robert especially for this one is getting into a routine before bed, now I had tried to read etc.. but I tend to read crime and other exciting novels so probably not ideal! So now what I do is sit and have a very slow, very relaxed stretching session going very light.

So again, thanks for the tips guys it really HAS helped
Old 07-12-2008, 12:45 PM   #25
Frank E Morel

Profile:

always great to hear a success story!

sweet dreams or raunchy ones.. your pick
Old 07-14-2008, 03:01 PM   #26
Jason Lin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Duncan View Post
now I had tried to read etc.. but I tend to read crime and other exciting novels so probably not ideal!
I've been reading Gary Taubes' book before bed. Works better than ambien.
Old 07-14-2008, 04:20 PM   #27
Robert Olajos

Profile:

I have pretty good sleep habits. One thing that makes a big difference some nights is ear plugs. We don't live in a noisy area by any stretch, but just putting the little sounds (wife moving, cat meowing, car driving by, furnace turning on....) far away helps big time.

Last night I couldn't get to sleep after getting up to pee. Put the plugs in and it was lights out.
Old 07-15-2008, 11:46 AM   #28
Neil Duncan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Olajos View Post
I have pretty good sleep habits. One thing that makes a big difference some nights is ear plugs. We don't live in a noisy area by any stretch, but just putting the little sounds (wife moving, cat meowing, car driving by, furnace turning on....) far away helps big time.

Last night I couldn't get to sleep after getting up to pee. Put the plugs in and it was lights out.
Interesting, have a load of earplugs from the motorbike too so might give that a try tonight... hope I still hear my alarm for work though haha
Old 07-15-2008, 05:38 PM   #29
David Melrose

Profile:

Try Calcium Magnesium drink, such as Peter Gilliams Calm.

Works very very well.

I learned the trick from scientology friends of mine.
Old 07-23-2008, 05:33 PM   #30
Seth Hollen

Profile:

I'm a sleep tech so I thought i'd chime in here. Pretty good advice here for the most part.
It's important to remember that what works for one person doesn't necessarily work for another. Sleep is very complex. For me melatonin and caffeine restriction works...but I quickly build up a tolerance to melatonin.

Benadryl also works well for me. most of the OTC products marketed for sleep in the USA have long half lives and are still in your system after 8 hours (like tylenol PM)

there are some good prescription drugs out there like ambien and lunesta but again they don't work for everyone (lunesta does nothing on me). some of them have side affect like compulsive habits and sleep walking. very rare though.

anyways just my 2 cents