CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-25-2006, 02:24 PM   #21
Dale S. Jansen

Profile:
backpackers carry stuff in their pack...which supports my contention that walking/shuffling with a weighted pack is a great activity. just come join us at the Bataan Memorial Death March. also, backpacking usually involves lots of up and down, uneven terrain and less food than one has access to in civilization. sidewalk walking is useless without a weighted pack. the AMA does a great disservice to the public by saying crap like "3 30 minute sessions a week". who's kidding who?
Old 09-26-2006, 07:34 AM   #22
Peter Queen

Profile:
“Unfortnately in today's world, most people believe that they wont have the time to walk 2...4...8 hours a day. (people are over commited on activities that may not really matter all that much just to keep busy...cause sitting still is so much harder) Walking is now intermittent..lucky to get people to do it for 15-20 minutes, running almost never and sitting is a lifestyle. A good step for people would be to first clear their schedule of things that really may be useless busy work, and then find time for meaningful activities such as walking...”

Good points Mike. I feel the same way you do because I have also seen a lot of excuses made rather than resolving the problems. These type of people often make excuses in other areas of their lives and not just exercising.

“backpackers carry stuff in their pack...which supports my contention that walking/shuffling with a weighted pack is a great activity,..”

Dale, I agree with this point. When time permits I will often walk while wearing my weighted vest. It has slotted pockets which hold up to 70lbs. When I am feeling really ambitious, I’ll even carry two 15lb dumbbells in my hands to round it off to an even 100lbs total. Then I go out on a 2 to 3 mile hike in the wooded trails of the state park in my home area. Otherwise, I will walk 2 miles down the bike trail while holding 20lb dumbbells. I do this so that I can do various upper body routines while walking, ie: OH Presses, flies, front lateral raises, ect..

“sidewalk walking is useless without a weighted pack.”

On this point however, I must say….. Give me a freaking break. Why do people always have to discount something, in this case walking, just because they think it is useless in their world. Walking period is still a good form of exercise. As I stated earlier, I will respect those who walk over those couch potatoes any day. At least they are doing something to stay active. And to another earlier point of mine, some people can only walk do to certain ailments and disabilities. They are happy to be able to do just that. Again, it is certainly better than nothing. Let’s put it in another perspective, I know that there are people here who can run circles around me when it comes to the WODs and other activities. Does that make me feel worthless,.… no way. I will continue to do what I can when I can and improve where I can. Again, to get back to my point…at least it is better than nothing.

Hey, in another few hours it will be lunchtime here. I can’t wait to get out there with my iPod and go on another 2 mile sidewalk walk. Wow,… is that sarcasm? :angel_no:
Old 09-26-2006, 10:01 AM   #23
David Aguasca

Profile:
amen, peter.

walking is good active recovery for me.

i live in a small town, and until this past winter when i got a job farther away, i used to walk EVERYWHERE. long walks give you time to think and mull over important decisions without having to contend with other responsibilities. walking long distances to work and elsewhere when you could drive is an exercise in patience and time management. after all, we need to get mental workouts too, right?
Old 09-26-2006, 10:15 AM   #24
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
What good is a stong body...without a strong mind and soul.

Deep I know...Personally I am too ADD for walking...I clear my head mountain biking, when not thinking "oh **** look out..."...that and sitting in nature in general....very soothing...
Old 09-26-2006, 06:31 PM   #25
Paul MacManus

Profile:
"Walking is a long, steady-state endurance activity, and tends to reduce the percentage of type IIb muscle fibers per muscle cross section. "
Ross, I think this is rubbish.
I walk lots as have two dogs and consider it a great warmup for powerlifting or just as an extra workout or to release tension, or just to see what's happening in the neighboorhood.
Unless you're walking for hours at a time it's not going to reduce any muscle fibres.
The average heavyweight powerlifter or Oly lifter should walk more not less.
Old 09-26-2006, 07:56 PM   #26
Laurion Burchall

Profile:
At the extreme of walking is race walking (as seen in the Olympics). The world record for a walked 20k is around 1 hour 17 minutes. That is a sub 20:00 5k.

I would guess that done with sufficent intensity (either speed or added load) walking can be as good an exercise as running. Race walking looks really weird though...
Old 09-26-2006, 09:05 PM   #27
Motion Macivor

Profile:
I think he was joking paul.:g:
Old 09-27-2006, 02:16 AM   #28
Martin Roberts

Profile:
Walking not the best exercise?
Surely that can't be right
It must be the best, why else would big commercial Gyms take hundreds of dollars off people and then set them a program of steady walking on a treadmill.:happy:
Obviously the mistake we've been making is trying to walk outside in the fresh air, for free!
Old 09-27-2006, 03:06 AM   #29
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
As long as no one combines speed walking with riverdancing I'll be ok...just the sight of that may make my head explode due to the inability to comprehend what is going on...
Old 09-27-2006, 04:54 AM   #30
Peter Queen

Profile:
"As long as no one combines speed walking with riverdancing.."

Then we should call it riverwalking.:kicking0: