CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-24-2005, 05:27 PM   #11
Tyler Scarborough

Profile:  
Just thought I'd through my .02 cents in along the same train of thought, I can never seem to remember to take my RHR as soon as I wake up. But a few weeks ago I was the guinea pig for the Cardiology clinic I'm temporarily working for. I was hooked up with a 24hr Holter moniter which is basically a little computer box with 3 electical leads attached to your chest. It records an ECG tracing for every second over the 24 hrs. It was very interesting to see what my heart did during elizabeth. I agree with what was said earlier about it not being very indicitive of overall fitness. My HR was within the textbook range for Bradycardic (slow HR) yet I'm not. However there are people we see there who come in with those monitors and their RHR is lower than my own. Using that purely as a level of fitness they should be world class athletes yet they are sedentary, overweight and very old.
Old 08-25-2005, 09:46 PM   #12
Skip Chase

Profile:
I agree, it is pointless to compare HR. I use one when I train, particularly when riding my bike by myself. During a group ride, I try to keep up with the more experienced and conditioned riders. They become my 'measure'. When training by myself, rather than allowing my self talk to control my performance under difficult conditions, (Hills, 30 mph head winds,etc) my hr monitor becomes my measure and I try to keep pushing.
Old 09-01-2005, 01:46 PM   #13
Dan Orozco

Profile:

about an hour after a WOD, my resting heart rate was about 63 which kind of freaked me out, but now that I heard this thread, it makes sense now why my RHR was that high. Normally, my RHR is about 48.
Old 09-04-2005, 06:45 PM   #14
Paul Moldovean

Profile:  
I work at a hospital and I see quite a lot of old people with a RHR in the high 40s low 50s...but it definatley does not indicate their level of fitness it just tells me that they are on Beta blockers which lower their heart rate because they suffer from hypertension or some other disease, tylonol is also a beta blocker...try and get ur RHR about half an hour after you take one i guarantee you its going to be lower
Old 09-04-2005, 07:03 PM   #15
Steven C. Herndon

Profile:

I work as a monitor tech ( I watch and interpret the heart monitors on an i.c.u. unit) and have also worked as a nursing assistant. The normal range for heart rates is 60-100 beats per minute. Anthing lower or higher is considered abnormal. If some one is young and in shape, or on certain drugs, like Tyler said, we do not make much of it. So far, all of you sound like you are in the normal or below average range, no need to worry as far as I can see.