CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 09-07-2007, 09:44 AM   #11
Michael Leach

Profile:
Re: Shoes-Running-Crossfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Moskowitz View Post
How did those H-streets fit on you? What size foot are you using the metal, big-shoehorn-looking device?
I'll probably have to get them off of Ebay and I share your affinity for trying things on. Oh well.
The H-streets fit like a glove. I got a size 9 and the shoes I had been wearing were New Balance cross-trainers or something and they were a size 9.5. I usually wear a 9 or 9.5, and rarely I need a size 10.

If you have a DSW near you, I'd go there - thats where I scored my H-streets last week. Otherwise, I'd hit up a local shoe store and try on some Pumas and see what size you need; then hit up Ebay with that size in mind.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:48 AM   #12
Tirzah Harper

Profile:

George, I'm eyeing those Vibram FiveFingers. What can you share as far as their durability goes? For $70, I'd want them to last A LONG TIME through all sorts of use. But man, I want some!
Old 09-07-2007, 10:21 AM   #13
George Mounce

Profile:

I know in another thread one of the creators has gone 500+ miles with multiple washings in them. I'm only at about 20 miles, 3 weeks of WODs, and 1 washing but I have say they are very durable. I love having them on my feet, and actually I love the strange looks, I don't mean to be an attention whore but hey, I don't mind being a free spokesman.

I have noticed it takes roughly 2 weeks to get used to them, as all feet are different, my left foot took a couple days longer to get used to them as my feet are roughly 2 mm different, which doesn't sound like much but it can have an effect on size difference. I am very glad I went directly to a store and tried them on rather then purchasing them online. I have only worn them for running and working out, and I plan to keep it that way, so I'm guessing they are going to last quite some time. I like my Nike flip-flops for just walking around as they also have a very low sole, but are more durable then a $5 pair from Walmart. For any watersports like kayaking or boating the Vibram shoes would be a perfect match.

I will caution people, you do feel large rocks if you happen to step on one, but you don't get a huge gash in your foot. You will also notice that the propensity to suffer from a rolled ankle is next to nothing, which me with multiple rolled ankles from basketball shoes can attest to. I find this a God-send, as I have noticed my ankles have gotten a lot stronger since using them. My feet and calves have gotten stronger, and I haven't feel any pressure on my knees at all since getting the shoes and being forced to forefoot strike. I've always been a forefoot runner, but I'd notice as I got tired I'd try and stride out, which is purely a form thing, but without any padding on the heel, you know right away if you lose form.

Hope this helps!
Old 09-07-2007, 10:54 AM   #14
Brandon Oto

Profile:

I'd also be curious to hear from anyone who's used the Newton shoes.

Hey George, do the FiveFingers come in any color other than that intense blue?
Old 09-07-2007, 10:57 AM   #15
Michael Leach

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Oto View Post
I'd also be curious to hear from anyone who's used the Newton shoes.

Hey George, do the FiveFingers come in any color other than that intense blue?
theres a few styles as well as different color choices available:

http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/
w/f/s
Old 09-07-2007, 10:57 AM   #16
George Mounce

Profile:

Mine are bright red, I have the Sprints.
Old 09-07-2007, 01:19 PM   #17
Peter Queen

Profile:

Based on the reading that I have been doing recently on the site provided by Michael (thanks by the way), I would have to say that I am quite interested now. I especially liked reading the link for "Keith-in-training" blogs from the VFF site.

(W/F safe)
http://keith-in-training.blogspot.co...k-8-day-1.html

George, can I assume that the arch support is top-notch? That would be the only concern for me.
Old 09-07-2007, 02:25 PM   #18
Patrick Donnelly

Profile:

Re: Peter
There is absolutely no support, which is the good thing about them.

I've had mine about two weeks so far, but the majority of the use they've gotten has been around the house. I've kept my runs in them short, and they feel nice, though my feet definitely need some more adjusting time before I do any 5k's in them.
Old 09-07-2007, 02:44 PM   #19
George Mounce

Profile:

As Patrick says - no support but what nature gave you. The reason is your foot isn't being forced to relax against something supporting it, the muscles and bones are having to support themselves which will end up strengthening them in the long run. For this reason, I caution people to start out runs slowly, walking around the house, yard, go shopping and get funny looks first, then ease into running and you'll enjoy them more then hurt feet from going right into long runs.

Last edited by George Mounce : 09-07-2007 at 02:58 PM. Reason: Need spell and grammar check. LOL.
Old 09-07-2007, 02:47 PM   #20
Michael Leach

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Mounce View Post
For this reason, I caution people to start out runs slowing, walking around the house, yard, go shopping and get funny looks first, then ease into running and you'll enjoy them more then hurt feet from going right into long runs.
Definitely a Good Idea!