CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 08-31-2005, 08:11 PM   #11
Kevin Scott

Profile:
I know what your saying about feeling alienated. I haven't met anyone that knows about crossfit at any gyms i've gone to. The closes i got was when a guy came up to me while i was doing dumbell swings and said is that based off that swedish bell stuff, lol. I just said yep and kept on swinging.
Old 08-31-2005, 08:49 PM   #12
Joe Luckett

Profile:

Everybody wants to try the rings. If they've got the guts they ask if they can try. If not, they just stare and wonder.

-jw
Old 09-01-2005, 07:13 AM   #13
Pat Janes

Profile:

LOL... sounds like the plan, Beth. And while you're bringing everyone over here, grab all the CFHQ staff and let's run a CF Cert seminar downunder while we're at it!!
Old 09-01-2005, 07:45 AM   #14
Ted Williams

Profile:
I know what you mean about weird stares...the squirrels don't know what to think of me at my gym...I'm out there sweatin and huffin...they're eatin their nuts and berries......

Everyone pretty much ignores me when I talk Crossfit at work...I mean, come on...a sup there benched 350! Now THAT's a workout...couldn't run up a flight of stares to catch a danish, but 350!

I should say, everyone ignores me but one guy in my group...he use to lift in college, and did some olympic lifting...so he's be curious...now he's curious about the Zone...could turn into a convert....or at least admirer

Ted
Old 09-01-2005, 09:14 PM   #15
Beth Moscov

Profile:
Pat - I will work on it but you have to promise to organize a scuba trip if I pull it off (not likely though - I got too much on my plate as it is)
Old 09-02-2005, 04:42 PM   #16
Michael Keller

Profile:
I had the same experience a few months back when I took a cruise. There was little in the way of real equipment, mostly chrome weight machines and a gravitron. I finally figured out how to lock the gravitron so that I could do real pull-ups, and then did knees to elbows, DB thrusters and swings, tabata squats and a few other assorted exercises during the cruise. Every singe time I was in there, I got the strangest looks. There was one guy that tried to do the knees to elbows, quickly gave up, and went off and did some curls. It was hilarious.
Old 09-04-2005, 08:07 AM   #17
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:
You won't believe this but I was first turned on to crossfit by a personal trainer at a 24hr fitness center. I was supersetting weighted pullups, HSPU and one armed pushups at the gym and he asked me if I was doing the Crossfit workout. I had never heard of it before and asked him about it. He told me some of my workouts I did looked very similar. I felt an eerie sense of deja-vu when I looked into the program. The programs I did were a mere shadow of Crossfit as I was missing out on the metabolic crushing (stimulation) aspects of the program as well as the amazing variety. But goes to show you even in a big box comercial gym you can learn something.
Old 09-04-2005, 05:16 PM   #18
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
I have my own gym to work out in so I don't get much in the way of stares but I do get converts and believers. Every other Friday my SWAT Team trains and we begin our day in my gym with some CrossFitesque workout that will suit a group. It seems that the more fit a person is the more likely they are to embrace the CF concept while those at a more pedestrian levels of fitness seem to consider the method "too" something...too hard, too fast, too complicated, too...something. My team is seeing the light slowly but surely and are either coming to my place to train or are including CF workouts in their own training. The whole Pukie thing drives some away but attracts others. The closest I have come of late to the stares is at the pool during our crossovers where we come up with a loud and imperative squeak of an inhalation that never fails to draw stares and the occasional "You're SEALs aren't you?" or "What are you training for?" and of course "Doesn't that hurt?" Our Y has an Olympic lifting platform, I need to make a point of doing some thrusters and Oly lifts and be sure to include some medicine ball slams, wall ball and other non-standard movements. Should be fun.
Old 09-06-2005, 06:03 AM   #19
Ray Cooper

Profile:
I was doing one of the many variations of Fran in a big, cushy base in Assganistan, happy to have fans and actual weights and sorta enjoying the looks I was getting from all the brass sitting on benches doing 10lb curls.

About 1/2way thru, right at that point where the fine line between puking and breathing starts to become defined, some airforce guy actually mentioned Fran by name to me. I was suprised but couldn't really talk (too busy swallowing) and he left soon after. Never saw him again. I did get that kinda secret handshake sorta feel tho, briefly.