CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-24-2015, 02:22 PM   #1
Harry Mitchell

Profile:
531 and gymnastics skill development

Hello, I am a young crossfitter currently working out in a globo gym. I plan to return to a proper box when my situation changes. In the mean time I have decided to focus on building my strength and competency at the gymnastics movements with conditioning in the form of running, rowing etc since there isn't space to do proper met cons in my gym and I've got in trouble for doing so recently.

Basically what I'm looking for is a program which will use my assistance work for 531 to build my proficiency at basic movements like strict pull ups, dips, HSPU, regular pushups and pistols. My routine is as follows: Monday press, Tuesday deadlifts, Wednesday bench and Friday back squats. I've been doing the armstrong pull up routine in my warm ups which is working well but I'm just wondering how to fit the other skills in and what to do to build them without disrupting my progress on 531.

As for my level of experience I've been lifting for a good few years and crossfitted solidly for around 8 months. My lifts are as follows; back squat 150kg, deadlift 175kg, press 70kg. I can do about 5 strict pull ups and bar dips and can comfortably hold a handstand against a wall.

Thanks for reading and any help is much appreciated.
Old 03-24-2015, 10:57 PM   #2
Robert Fabsik

Profile:
Re: 531 and gymnastics skill development

Monday--5/3/1 Press, Muscle Up practice/work, Dip Work

Tuesday--5/3/1 Deadlifts, Pistol Work, Low back/ab work

Wednesday--5/3/1 Bench, Pullups, HSPU work

Friday--5/3/1 Backsquats, RDLS or an Oly pull.

You might be able to add 1-2 little exercises on each day, but don't focus on them.

Since a lot of this is practice, you should be thinking lots of submaximal volume work. So for dips in pull-ups, don't think 3 sets til failure, think 5-10 sets of 2-3 reps.

Muscle Up work may be substituted for another day of pullup work.
Old 03-25-2015, 02:12 AM   #3
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Looks fairly decent. You could switch the accessories on lower body and I don't think it would matter much.

I would recommend at least 2 days a week of pullup type work besides a barbell pull day. Adding in BW movements as accessories can be pretty complimentary to 531 if you don't want do traditional accessories.
Old 03-25-2015, 11:02 AM   #4
Harry Mitchell

Profile:

Yeah good calls on the pull up frequency. I was trying to come up with a way of doing HSPU and dips more frequently but I don't think it's possible to without them interfering with my bench and press work. Strength is number 1 at the moment anyway. Thanks for both your inputs. I'm hoping that doing this program will make me significantly better at the movements when I get back into proper Crossfit WODs.

Further question; being that I'm quite tall and long limbed I do struggle with the gymnastics and was wondering if there's anything I should be doing differently to get better at them?
Old 03-25-2015, 02:27 PM   #5
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

You would merely use dips and HSPU as accessory movements.

At 5 Pullups&Dips, you still need a stronger base for strict MU. I'm not going to go into kipping MU mainly because I don't care about them and it's harder to make baseline standards for them.

You can still make some BW movement gains being tall and light. Some more mass in your upper body can help to some degree (hypertrophy) but you're pretty much screwed compared to somebody who is 5'-5'7".
Old 03-25-2015, 02:41 PM   #6
Harry Mitchell

Profile:

Yes I know what you mean about building up a base. I'm not doing any kind of kipping movement until I can get a good few strict reps. I do still have a significant amount of body fat that I'm planning to lose which should make my movements easier. Even better if I'm gaining strength in them simultaneously.

It's going to take a lot of work for me at 6'2 and 205 lbs but I figure it's going to benefit my fitness so much in the long run that it'll be worth it. Will probably do a lot for my strength too. Thanks Blair, I respect what you're doing for gymnastics in the Crossfit community.
Old 03-26-2015, 01:25 AM   #7
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

It's all because of a little forum named Drills&Skills (Roger Harrell) back in the day where Braindx (Steven Low) also popped in at.

Kind of an open free source mentality. I knew so little back then and there wasn't that much knowledge floating around at my little rec gym so it was a boon to come across D&S and eventually train with Roger.

TBH, I might be done with gymnastics but that remains to be seen. Still it's nice to give back a bit. Part of me does miss training it.

I'm currently kind of in the same boat, trying to rebuild my pullup and dip numbers back. Cutting down to 77 will help though. I've always seen an increase in BW numbers from cutting weight alone. Kind of a metric that I know I'm leaning out when my BW numbers go up and I barely work them much more than once a week.
Old 03-26-2015, 08:50 AM   #8
Harry Mitchell

Profile:

Yeah I've noticed that you reply to a lot of the threads I read on here too. You're quite well known and it's good that you're giving back in the way that you do.

I've always struggled with the basic bodyweight movements and I just thought to myself that if I can be as strong as I am while only being able to do a few pull ups and dips then surely just by increasing my numbers on these movements I'll get quite a large carryover to the lifts. It's something I now wish I'd focused more on when I started training like I should have then I wouldn't be in the position I'm in now with this gaping hole in my fitness. But also I think I'll definitely continue to practice the strict gymnastics movements regularly even when I get competent enough at them to do them unscaled in the metcons since at my dimensions it'll be something I'll need to keep on top of.

Thanks again for all your help