CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 02-17-2015, 05:40 AM   #1
Adam Zelenay

Profile:
Would this be a good idea for WOD

Hey everyone,
I have injured both my knees with bad technique squatting. Since Im trying to prepare for a spartan race, I decided to focus on a.) losing weight and b.)working on my upper body strength. As such, I dont follow my crossfit classes, but rather do my own. Here is the basic idea:

- Start with warmup, 5 minutes on rower and stretching
- Technique work. In my case, that's usually working on kipping-style toes to bar, focusing on grip strength or training HSPUs or strict pull-ups (i.e. things Im not good at or I need to get stronger at)
- Strength - do 5x5 Bench press or Military press (alternating). Linear progression.
- Metcon - Here i try to apply the BBB principle of Jim Wendler, where he suggests to do around 50% of weight used for the strength exercised and do 10x5. So I'll do that as a part of my metcon and then do something else (1000m rower for example and alternate these 2 exercises)
- Rope climb - I just recently learned to do it and I climb the rope every sessions I get the chance, simply to get better at it. I feel it really works my upper body.
- Tabata - Ill do a single 5min tabata, with focus on back or abs.

All in all, this routine takes me somewhere between 60-90 minutes and is not taxing on my knees which currently need some rest. My plan is to also include power-cleans very soon. What do you think ?

Also please, do u know of any WODs including rope climbing ? thanks
Old 02-17-2015, 06:56 AM   #2
Robert Fabsik

Profile:
Re: Would this be a good idea for WOD

Is this done once a week? 3 times a week? Daily?

Warmup sounds fairly reasonable.

Technique work--I wouldn't be doing kipping toes to bar. There is no point to them unless you are competing, and even then they aren't important enough to warrant weekly technique sessions on them. If you need some core work think about L-sits, holds, abroller work or just even regular toe to bars.

If you are doing a 5x5 strength upper body lift daily, unless you rotate wisely it probably isn't a good choice. If you are doing bench M, Press W then bench Friday, it may work if you are still a beginner to intermediate. Don't forget to balance pressing work with upper body pulling work.

Metcon--I don't think Jim Wendler has ever said anything about "metconning" BBB work. By doing it in a metcon you'll wind up reducing your capacity to handle heavier and heavier weights. So if your goal is to build your strength lifts and gain some mass with BBB, do BBB. Now you can alternate BBB with a press and pulling movement--say close grip bench with ring rows. But it still shouldn't be at a metcon pace. More like work hard on the set, take a rest so you can work hard on the next set but don't take all day (1-2 minutes OR if you are alternating exercises 30s-1m between exercsies).

Rope climbs seem smart.

I think of Tabata as conditioning work. Doing it once in a while for abs and low back is fine. But I'm not sure in the value of doing it all the time.

Finally, what are you doing to figure out how you were squatting wrong to harm your knees? You are probably right in needing some rest, but in the long run you need to start working technique work so you can squat again. It will be hard to crossfit if you can't squat since this feeds into most of the oly movements.
Old 02-17-2015, 07:31 AM   #3
Adam Zelenay

Profile:
Re: Would this be a good idea for WOD

Quote:
Technique work--I wouldn't be doing kipping toes to bar. There is no point to them unless you are competing, and even then they aren't important enough to warrant weekly technique sessions on them. If you need some core work think about L-sits, holds, abroller work or just even regular toe to bars.
Thank you for the tips ! I didnt even know these exercises, and I will definitely add them. I do the kipping toes to bar because of the shoulder/back work required and because my trainer suggested it as a good assistance exercise for the rope climb. But will definitely look into what you said.

Quote:
If you are doing a 5x5 strength upper body lift daily, unless you rotate wisely it probably isn't a good choice. If you are doing bench M, Press W then bench Friday, it may work if you are still a beginner to intermediate. Don't forget to balance pressing work with upper body pulling work.
I essentialy apply the primitive principle of linear progression in strength. yes Im a beginner. But again, ill take your hint and look into some pulling exercises. Thanks.

Quote:
Metcon--I don't think Jim Wendler has ever said anything about "metconning" BBB work. By doing it in a metcon you'll wind up reducing your capacity to handle heavier and heavier weights. So if your goal is to build your strength lifts and gain some mass with BBB, do BBB. Now you can alternate BBB with a press and pulling movement--say close grip bench with ring rows. But it still shouldn't be at a metcon pace. More like work hard on the set, take a rest so you can work hard on the next set but don't take all day (1-2 minutes OR if you are alternating exercises 30s-1m between exercsies).
You are spot on, I just described it wrong. What I do is not a metcon, it's more of 'more fast paced BBB workout'.

Quote:
I think of Tabata as conditioning work. Doing it once in a while for abs and low back is fine. But I'm not sure in the value of doing it all the time.
Thanks - i try to include one of the tabata exercises to be abs, as my core is kind of weak at the moment.

Quote:
Finally, what are you doing to figure out how you were squatting wrong to harm your knees? You are probably right in needing some rest, but in the long run you need to start working technique work so you can squat again. It will be hard to crossfit if you can't squat since this feeds into most of the oly movements.
I essentialy did starting strength, therefor a lot of squatting. I went to the doc and he prescribed me some meds and a combination of magnetic/electric therapy for my knees. I didnt really get his latin, but as far as i know its a case of patellar tendonitis, but apparently the bone already started reacting to the infection and started getting thicker.

Yes squats are important. Ill take some weeks off completely, and then Ill only be doing bodyweight squats. According to my doc, weighted squats are the most irrational thing to do for the knees. Sure there are benefits to reap, but even with excellent technique, the pressure applied on the knees is unnatural.