CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 08-18-2014, 11:44 PM   #1
Robert Bateman

Profile:
Any tips for squatting and keeping back straighter/more vertical.

I have a problem where I bend slightly too far forward when doing squats, usually towards the bottom of the squat, this puts pressure on my mid back to carry more load. Does anyone have any tips on staying more upright? What should I focus on. Chest up etc?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Di0ecF-fA1Y

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-19-2014, 01:24 AM   #2
Struan Potter

Profile:
Re: Any tips for squatting and keeping back straighter/more vertical.

Get weightlifting shoes and sit up more.
Old 08-19-2014, 11:30 AM   #3
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

You can tell your weight is going on your toes. Ideally you want to drive through the whole foot, but for now focus on driving through your heels.

Also, I think you would benefit from pushing your hips/bending at the hips more before bending the knees. Right now you bend your hips and knees almost in synch, and for your body type I think you'd be able to keep your weight back and balanced more by getting the hips back a little more first. It doesn't have to be extreme, just more.

Also to keep the upper body up, make sure your gut is full of air and pushing out in all 360 degrees.

Last edited by Robert Fabsik : 08-19-2014 at 11:43 AM. Reason: mispelling
Old 08-19-2014, 05:24 PM   #4
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

There are umpteen thousand squat videos on YouTube. I think Pat did a nice job with this one. wfs.

I would restate Struan's answer as "get rid of the running shoes and sit up more." You don't necessarily need lifting shoes yet, and I would prefer to see you fix the problem instead of just patching it through gear.

- Mark
Old 08-19-2014, 07:52 PM   #5
Brett Valego

Profile:

ugh....

your squat isn't THAT bad. try to get your butt/hips between your ankles. but with the weight more evenly distributed on your feet

the whole push your hips back, i wish it'd stop
stand up tall and push your hips back. what happens? your torso bends forward. right?

ok use that information and think about why you might be bending forward. this whole 'push your hips back' to start a squat is just...weird. as soon as hips go back, torso goes forward.

keep your weight equally distributed on your foot and put your hips between your ankles. keep everything in your upper body tight and you should be just as vertical with the torso in the bottom of the squat as you are when standing up. granted, this will take some hip & ankle stretching to get it perfect but, you get the idea.

....just my opinion.
Old 08-19-2014, 10:24 PM   #6
Robert Bateman

Profile:

Thanks for all of your responses, I really appreciate it.

I love that video Mark, I will test my air squat tomorrow and see what it looks like. The problem with Youtube is you can quickly drown in the amount of videos, sometimes it's actually better to have some human contact every once and a while.

I'm actually very flexible apart from this movement, coach keeps on telling me chest up but I wasn't actually sure how or what I needed to change to make my chest higher. It all makes a little more sense now. I don't really want to go down the oly shoe route just yet.

Thanks again.
Old 08-19-2014, 10:31 PM   #7
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

I also, from time to time, like to (well, hate to, but I do it anyhow) practice air squats while closely facing a wall or (say) a squat rack upright. Squat as close to the object as you can and then do an air squat while doing your darnedest to not touch the wall. If you can't stay off the wall, back off until you reach a point where you can. Stick with that spot for a while and then start trying to creep back towards the wall while still not touching it. For an extra challenge, do it with your hands up as in an overhead squat.

The tactile feedback of ramming your knees, nose, or forehead into the wall tends to make the movement auto-correcting.

- Mark
Old 08-19-2014, 10:32 PM   #8
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

BTW, opinions vary, but I think I could listen to Pat Sherwood teach all day. Love his style, method, and sense of humor.

- Mark
Old 08-20-2014, 12:56 AM   #9
Struan Potter

Profile:

That's fine if you don't want to go for weightlifting shoes. Take your stance wider and focus on sitting on top of your heels.
Old 08-20-2014, 10:52 AM   #10
Keith Miller

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett Valego View Post
ugh....

your squat isn't THAT bad. try to get your butt/hips between your ankles. but with the weight more evenly distributed on your feet

the whole push your hips back, i wish it'd stop
stand up tall and push your hips back. what happens? your torso bends forward. right?

ok use that information and think about why you might be bending forward. this whole 'push your hips back' to start a squat is just...weird. as soon as hips go back, torso goes forward.

keep your weight equally distributed on your foot and put your hips between your ankles. keep everything in your upper body tight and you should be just as vertical with the torso in the bottom of the squat as you are when standing up. granted, this will take some hip & ankle stretching to get it perfect but, you get the idea.

....just my opinion.
I agree with Brett here. I don't think your squat's all that bad. Focus on sitting down rather than back and I think some of it will go away on its own.