CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-20-2014, 08:53 AM   #1
Bob Herald

Profile:
Calisthenics

I will be without a man made gym for 10 days soon. I will use this time as a deload but would like to do bodyweight stuff. Besides the obvious push-ups , pull-ups, pistols, squats burpees and jump rope ... Anybody have any exercises or routines you could share?

I thought of buying a trx or jungle gym XT for future excursions.. Any thoughts on this? Thanks
Old 03-20-2014, 11:17 AM   #2
Adam Shreim

Profile:
Re: Calisthenics

If you're bored of all of the other calisthenic only WODs out there (like Cindy, Angie, Mary, ect.) you could alter those a little bit.

I once did Cindy, but added a rep to each progressive round. You may want/need a piece of paper or white board to write it down, but I did

5/10/15
6/12/18
7/14/21
8/16/24
9/18/27

Continue that pattern for 20 minutes. Instead of droning on, the reps start to get high enough to induce fatigue a little faster.

Tabata conditioning isn't too bad, either. Instead of going traditional and performing 8x20s, then 10s rest... you can pick 3-4 exercises and rotate them. So, rather than doing 8x20/10s of push-ups, then sit-ups you would do 1x20s push-ups, rest 10s, 1x20s toes to bar, rest 10s, 1x20s pull-ups, ect. That will help prevent you from bombing out, early. Some people try to "game" tabata and pick something they think they can do for all 8 sets. I am the total opposite. I try to nuke the first few rounds until I am spent and try to squeeze out as many reps in the following rounds. I found that rotating the movements was a good mix between the two.
Old 03-20-2014, 03:39 PM   #3
Stacey Corn

Profile:

There is a list of body weight exercises posted by Shane Skowron found here:
http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=38312
Old 03-22-2014, 05:47 AM   #4
Steven Wingo

Profile:

Do some speed, agility, and quickness drills.

You can also warm up well and do some sprints.

Any hills where you will be?--Find a log or rock or rucksack and carry it up and down. Make it tougher by holding the object over your head like you would a 45 pound plate or wall ball.

Do cleans over the back of your shoulder with an even larger rock, like using an atlas stone, or just carry it a set distance like 100m then put it down, rest, and do it again.

There are all kinds of things you can do and figure out. Just use your imagination. Watch and few strongman videos on YouTube and you will get some ideas of the possibilities.