CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 01-04-2014, 09:17 PM   #11
Clint Harris

Profile:
Re: Rogue "E" sled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Doehla View Post
Thoughts on the dogsled?
Our gym has 4 of them. I probably use it the most often. It weighs about 100# so is a bit of a mission to move in/out of storage. (Use gloves so you don't get slivers/cut).

It is tough to push on the black-top/concrete but is a real man maker. There is the ability to pull it, but I've never done this. It's always a push.
On concrete, just using it with no weight is a good workout. Lots of resistance but you can sprint it..
You have to "stay down" on it too. You can't pick it up and push it on the end. It will not move, you have to keep the back on the ground otherwise you're in for a long day. Unlike a prowler or something that you can put up on the front sled.

As you add weight, it gets exponentially tougher. Using 2 plates and doing a 6x40yd repeats EMOM or every 90s will not put hair on your chest. It will rip it off. The first 2 you can go after. Then next 2 are pretty tough. The last 2 you die and are almost walking. (again, this is on concrete, grass may be different assuming hard ground and not mud).
The handles are good. You can start pushing low and as you start to run, can move up easily - you aren't locked into one spot.
Then, when it's time to turn around (like when doing 6x40), you don't have to turn the sled around - you just pop the handles out and change ends. This is a godsend when gassed.

So, it's built like a tank and is as difficult to move as one too. I have a love/hate relationship with it.
Potentially, for home use, it is just too much and I'd probably go with a prowler. But if I owned a gym, I'd have a fleet of them once I was fully established.

The modifications I'd like rogue to make are related to storage.
1. Put some handles on it so we can more easily carry it around when putting it away. There's got to be somewhere this could be done.
2. The pin that the weight sits on. It could be screwed out or something so the sleds could be stacked.

Other than that, it seems to be perfect for a heavy sled push.

Last edited by Clint Harris : 01-04-2014 at 09:22 PM.
Old 01-05-2014, 08:51 AM   #12
Mike Doehla

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint Harris View Post
Our gym has 4 of them. I probably use it the most often. It weighs about 100# so is a bit of a mission to move in/out of storage. (Use gloves so you don't get slivers/cut).

It is tough to push on the black-top/concrete but is a real man maker. There is the ability to pull it, but I've never done this. It's always a push.
On concrete, just using it with no weight is a good workout. Lots of resistance but you can sprint it..
You have to "stay down" on it too. You can't pick it up and push it on the end. It will not move, you have to keep the back on the ground otherwise you're in for a long day. Unlike a prowler or something that you can put up on the front sled.

As you add weight, it gets exponentially tougher. Using 2 plates and doing a 6x40yd repeats EMOM or every 90s will not put hair on your chest. It will rip it off. The first 2 you can go after. Then next 2 are pretty tough. The last 2 you die and are almost walking. (again, this is on concrete, grass may be different assuming hard ground and not mud).
The handles are good. You can start pushing low and as you start to run, can move up easily - you aren't locked into one spot.
Then, when it's time to turn around (like when doing 6x40), you don't have to turn the sled around - you just pop the handles out and change ends. This is a godsend when gassed.

So, it's built like a tank and is as difficult to move as one too. I have a love/hate relationship with it.
Potentially, for home use, it is just too much and I'd probably go with a prowler. But if I owned a gym, I'd have a fleet of them once I was fully established.

The modifications I'd like rogue to make are related to storage.
1. Put some handles on it so we can more easily carry it around when putting it away. There's got to be somewhere this could be done.
2. The pin that the weight sits on. It could be screwed out or something so the sleds could be stacked.

Other than that, it seems to be perfect for a heavy sled push.
Thanks I'll probably pick one up. Seems awesome. Assuming it's pretty loud on the blacktop?
Old 01-05-2014, 01:23 PM   #13
Clint Harris

Profile:

Quote:
Thanks I'll probably pick one up. Seems awesome. Assuming it's pretty loud on the blacktop?
It is awesome - just a pain to get in/out of storing.
I don't notice the noise whilst I'm pushing it, but I'm sure all the other people around do. It runs on two ~4" wide rails that run the entire length of the sled. So yea, I'm sure there's a lot of noise coming out of it (when it's moving quickly that is).
Old 01-05-2014, 06:58 PM   #14
Mike Doehla

Profile:

Quote:
It is awesome - just a pain to get in/out of storing.
I don't notice the noise whilst I'm pushing it, but I'm sure all the other people around do. It runs on two ~4" wide rails that run the entire length of the sled. So yea, I'm sure there's a lot of noise coming out of it (when it's moving quickly that is).
It looked like there was a handle on the front. Is that to move it or just strap the pulling rope? I ordered just a little while ago.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:58 PM   #15
Clint Harris

Profile:

There is a little tow ring on the front that could be used as a handle, it's just a little uncomfortable for my dainty hands - I find I have to carry with my fingers and the wire + weight just doesn't place nice together. I'd like to see a suitcase type handle on the side. Then maybe we could use it as a farmer's walk too.
I generally don some gloves and sling it under my arm.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:00 AM   #16
Mike Doehla

Profile:

Quote:
There is a little tow ring on the front that could be used as a handle, it's just a little uncomfortable for my dainty hands - I find I have to carry with my fingers and the wire + weight just doesn't place nice together. I'd like to see a suitcase type handle on the side. Then maybe we could use it as a farmer's walk too.
I generally don some gloves and sling it under my arm.
yea that would be nice.

Will this thing rust? If it's wet or something should I not use it?
Old 01-06-2014, 01:41 PM   #17
Clint Harris

Profile:

Quote:
yea that would be nice.

Will this thing rust? If it's wet or something should I not use it?
It may. The underside will wear but I haven't noticed a great deal of rust when using them. Although, I'm not really looking either. The sled doesn't stay wet and the air is not salty here, so, I think the rust is kept to a bare minimum.
From what I've seen, it'd be a good number of years before this thing rusted away. More than likely, I'd wear it out before hand. (but if I lived by the beach, not sure).

Pushing these on wet ground is a night/day affair too. The slide moves so much easier - it's like putting comfortable shoes on. ahhhhh.

I see there's some plastic skids you can get for the sled. I have no experience with that - perhaps it will make like easier on concrete and help prevent any rusting.
Old 01-06-2014, 01:43 PM   #18
Clint Harris

Profile:

All this talk of a sleds makes me want one even more now. I use the gym's but are slowly pulling back to work out at home. Hmmm ... birthday is coming up.
The zoo traffic will get a surprise (I live right by Atl zoo). All the soccer moms will wonder WTF that guy is doing LOL
Old 01-08-2014, 06:02 PM   #19
Rishi Joshi

Profile:

Quote:
All this talk of a sleds makes me want one even more now. I use the gym's but are slowly pulling back to work out at home. Hmmm ... birthday is coming up.
The zoo traffic will get a surprise (I live right by Atl zoo). All the soccer moms will wonder WTF that guy is doing LOL
For sure, sleds are always a good investment for home use. I ended up selling my knockoff prowler and got the fat boy sled. It's easier to store in the garage and works well on bumpy surfaces, unlike the cheap prowler I had.