CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 12-18-2006, 12:20 PM   #1
Randy Little

Profile:
Is it normal to feel so sore after every workout? I have completed my 4th WOD and it seems like each day some new and exciting part of my body starts hurting. Mostly my lats though.

Also, I can only a few pullups in a set, and then I do more either assisted or negatives. Does it take a long time to gain pullup strength?
Old 12-18-2006, 01:07 PM   #2
James Napier

Profile:
I'm sore if I push it hard and that's after 6 months now, some days I just take it easier. Getting to know your limits is important too. I started with 2 pullups in a row 6 months back, just got 8 in a row the other night. Just keep practicing, or Greasing The Groove (GTG), a pullup here, a pullup there throughout the day. Don't forget to have rest days, eat well, sleep well and have patience. Imagine how many you will be doing in 10 years. You don't plan on stopping crossfit before that do you?
Old 12-18-2006, 03:49 PM   #3
Becca Borawski

Profile:
It was my experience that the first three months, I was sore to the point of finding daily routine activity painful! lol! I just remember trying to figure out how to get up and down my steps without bending my legs.

After three months passed, and now going on two years later, I still get sore, but nowhere near like it was those first three months -- it's sore, but not debilitating sore. So, stick it out - and it will get better!
Old 12-18-2006, 04:55 PM   #4
Sam Michaud

Profile:
Randy,

My experience with DOMS paralleled Becca's - lots of pain up front that slowly diminished over a few months to just a good overall sore feeling. (now - if only my level of fitness paralleled Becca's I would be a happy camper :happy: )

But a word of caution: try to figure out the difference between sore and hurt. I didn't until it was too late and spent most of the summer and fall with a torn rotator cuff and impingement. Having to watch my hard earned gains melt away while trying to let my shoulder heal was a frustrating experience that could have been avoided if I had not been so stupid before I hurt myself - all the warning signs were there... I just chose to ignore them.

Good luck with your pull-ups. GTG will get you there in no time as well as adding in jumping pull-ups and negatives a few times a week.

:080402gudl_prv:

Sam
Old 12-18-2006, 05:41 PM   #5
Randy Little

Profile:
Thanks for the advice. I am not going to stop, I have a few goals in mind that I think Crossfit will assist in accomplishing.

I am not famiiar with greasing the groove (GTG) altough I think I understand. Do you just try and do some pullups a few times each day to get your body used to it? I think we did this in boot camp(long time ago) for the guys who could not do all the push ups.
Old 12-18-2006, 05:44 PM   #6
Sam Michaud

Profile:
Randy,

The two keys to GTG are to avoid taking the exercise to familiar (sub-maximal sets) and volume (i.e. do lots of sets - spread through the day).

Sam
Old 12-19-2006, 05:00 AM   #7
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Me too! Almost three years and ocassionally still sore after some workouts! Lets you know your alive.
Old 12-19-2006, 05:58 AM   #8
Steve Serrano

Profile:
Really make yourself aware of that level of soreness Randy. If it hasn't come already, the day is not far off when your body will feel like a painful stiff 1x10 board; all day, painful. Remember how hard you put out on the preceding WOD.

That's the "back off" point for the intensity of your WODs. Know that intensity and scale your WODs after that. Before long you'll find you can go a ittle harder in the WODs and not get the painful DOMs; as much...
Old 12-19-2006, 03:52 PM   #9
David Wood

Profile:

Randy: if you're doing 'negatives', they'll contribute a LOT to the experience of soreness.

It's a tradeoff . . . negative reps are almost always possible when you can't do any more positives, and are a great way to advance pretty quickly in an exercise where you're seriously lagging. (Best way I know for someone who can't do a single pullup: get to the top and do a controlled descent . . . when you can make the descent last for 10 seconds, you'll be able to do a pullup).

But . . . lots of studies have shown that negatives are associated with greater degrees of microscopic muscle 'damage' (which, when it heals, is stronger) . . . and they definitely give you more delayed-onset muscle soreness than 'regular' or 'positive' contractions.

So . . . consider laying off those if the soreness is impacting your ability to do the next day's workout.

Oh, and a belated "Welcome to CrossFit! (Here's your icepack and ibuprofen.)"
Old 12-25-2006, 04:11 PM   #10
Brad Davis

Profile:
James typed: "Just keep practicing, or Greasing The Groove (GTG), a pullup here, a pullup there throughout the day."

I've been waiting for this to come back up, because I have a question about offering this up as advice for beginners. I've been CFing for 2 months and it seems like we already do so many pullups that lats/biceps recovery is hopeless until at least a month into the program. Is it really smart for a person in the first 2-3 weeks to add even more pullups by GTG? I tried to GTG pullups a little in those first 2-3 weeks and that seemed to make my recovery even worse. I think I probably would've had a setback if I would've kept GTGing at that time.

Would it not be safer to wait until the extreme soreness goes away before piling on even more pullups? I paid attention and I was 6 weeks into CF before I stopped having perpetually sore lats and biceps.

We might've read from some folks that early GTG worked out great for them, but how do we know if it DIDN'T work out well for others? Folks who get hurt early on and just disappear don't report those results.

DBD