CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 06-19-2012, 06:28 AM   #1
Larry Bruce

Profile:
Crossfit historically

Has crossfit evolved over the decades? It's certainly grown and expanded its presence, but I'm wondering has it changed direction or emphasis?

Was it always using OLY lifiting for example? What has been added and what's been dropped since the program began or has it always been the way it is today?
Old 06-19-2012, 06:44 AM   #2
Robert Fabsik

Profile:
Re: Crossfit historically

If you look to CF main page as a guide to the CF trends and methods, you can look up WODs via the archive on the uppeer right hand of the page.

Glancing back I see more cardio work mixed in compared to now, but more doable or easily scaled WODs.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:40 AM   #3
Sean Dunston

Profile:

If you look back to 2001 (oldest recorded WODs on mainsite), you'll find some really good nuggets.
Remember when ring handstand push ups came out at the games a couple years ago and everyone freaked out? well - this was posted on Thursday, August 9, 2001.

Quote:
The progression from bar-dip to ring dip is analogous to the progression
from handstand on parallettes or p-bars to handstand on rings. We're
working towards handstand presses on the rings.
The payoff for this
work is greatly improved balance and uncanny strength.
wfs

http://www.crossfit.com/mt-archive2/002474.html
Old 06-19-2012, 07:44 AM   #4
Dimitri Dziabenko

Profile:

Since there's no real consensus of what Crossfit is, you can't really ask whether it has evolved. Different people now program the MP, so I am not sure you could call it "evolved." It's also questionable whether MP now is better than it was before.

But if you are asking whether people's understanding of this balancing act that is CF has improved with experience, the answer is yes.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:07 PM   #5
Mike.Phillips

Profile:

For some reason, and maybe it's just lack of knowledge on my part, but the movie "300" always seems to come to mind with the explosion of Crossfit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWi-_WGQZ_4

Myself included, saw those workouts (and of course the results) and wanted something like that. If you watch the video, you see many of the same types of movements, intensity and variation at the crossfit boxes.

Maybe there is no correlation, but when I see that video, I see them doing many of the same things we do at Crossfit.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:46 PM   #6
Bryan Rowland

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips View Post
For some reason, and maybe it's just lack of knowledge on my part, but the movie "300" always seems to come to mind with the explosion of Crossfit.

Maybe there is no correlation, but when I see that video, I see them doing many of the same things we do at Crossfit.

If you look at the video you will notice the Gym Jones shirt. He has history with crossfit though broke off some time ago. You can find some of the back and fourth though this was an article written some time ago about his gym.

http://journal.crossfit.com/2009/08/...-gym-jones.tpl
wfs
Old 06-20-2012, 02:05 PM   #7
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

depends on who you ask, how you define crossfit, and CF's philosophy, purpose, etc. there have certainly been alot of changes. as for "over the decades", it's only about ten years old, at least as far as the CF.com is concerned. if you look at the history of the last 10 - 12 years, many different people have come and gone.

to me, the stuff that has "changed" doesn't have so much to do with everything that has happend, but with what hasn't happened. the whole concept of "open source, change as we find a better way" mindset which appealed to so many hasn't been carried through, at least not from the perspective of a lot of people. there was a comment once to the effect of "if you beat us (at the games) and tell us all you have been doing is roller skating and eating melon, then we will start roller skating and eating melon"... this is not the exact quote, but pretty darn close. however, this hasn't happened, at least some people don't feel it has. this too, depends on who you ask and how you define "doing crossfit". i don't really care either way, and feel that the truth probably lies somewhere in the middle.

i think one of the biggest changes or shifts has been the change created by the crossfit games. everyone may have different opinions on if this is good or bad, or some of both, but i will stay away from that discussion. but there is no doubt it caused a great change in crossfit. people now train, program, etc for the games. the goal of doing crossfit has become crossfit itself. even the philosophy or purpose of the games seems to have shifted. so now, instead of people doing CF to improve GPP or as a training tool for whatever they did, now people train at CF to be good at CF.

there is also no doubt the popularity of CF and "functional fitness" has had an effect on the entire fitness industry. overall i think this is a good thing. there are actually many good things that i think have come out of CF. women being proud to be strong. more people doing pullups, jumps, KB swings, and squats and deadlifts instead of curls. there is no doubt that crossfit has been a huge positive for oly lifting, especially in the US. i think it is great that many people are now chasing performance goals instead of looks or some number on a scale. the idea that people can achieve high level fitness at home with minimal equipment is a good thing. but, as with any fast growing every evolving concept carried out in practice by people who are not perfect, there have been a few bad things as well. at the end of the day, i think the overall philosphy hasn't changed too much. the exercises are still CV HI FM across broad time and modal domains. the idea is still to produce a well rounded athlete with a high GPP, capable of performing any task thrown at them. there is still a community feel to it for the most part. and of course, Fran is still a cold heartless girl and we all still get a little nervous when we hear "3..2..1..GO"
Old 06-21-2012, 05:44 PM   #8
David Vessey

Profile:

I've been floating around, into crossfit since ~2005. Spent a few years staying pretty close to 3 on 1 off doing mainsite WOD. Nowadays just trying to stick to 3/week or so.

One trend that I noticed is that there are more mainsite WODs that are just "out to lunch" (in terms of difficulty - IMO). Maybe it's just my training level, and the fact I haven't been training at an affiliate having someone yell at me in awhile

My two cents!
Old 06-22-2012, 10:05 AM   #9
Graeme Moore

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Vessey View Post
I've been floating around, into crossfit since ~2005. Spent a few years staying pretty close to 3 on 1 off doing mainsite WOD. Nowadays just trying to stick to 3/week or so.

One trend that I noticed is that there are more mainsite WODs that are just "out to lunch" (in terms of difficulty - IMO). Maybe it's just my training level, and the fact I haven't been training at an affiliate having someone yell at me in awhile

My two cents!
No, no, I agree. Mainsite is pretty redundant I think for beginners or even intermediates who don't want to spend all day thinking of substitutions or scalings. Not to mention people who actually have an athletic goal.

I've always said that, for me, CrossFit is a coherent set of principles focused on physical training that anyone can apply to themseves however they see fit. Kind of a jeet kune do for barbells

If anything's changed I think it's as a result of effective marketing and now people seem to talk of CF as some amazing magic pill. Maybe it's because I've been round the block a few times but I cringe sometimes.