CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-12-2009, 08:55 AM   #1
Andy Beaulieu

Profile:
Coming off SS/CFFB/CFSB

I wasn't sure to put this into the nutrition thread, or here, but figured fitness was the place. If not, moderators feel free to move it.

I'm currently doing CFFB and drinking a gallon of milk a day because I want my strength numbers to go up -- that's my goal. However, I don't want to stay on the program forever, because I'm getting my strength numbers up to be able to do all of the heavier CF workouts from the main page as RXd (Linda, etc.) -- that's my long term goal.

My question is -- after a few more weeks on CFFB/GOMAD program I've been on, I'm eventually going to come off. How do I make sure that I don't lose most of my strength gains (and the mass gain in my legs/chest/butt/shoulders) when I switch back to the CF mainpage WODs? Does anyone have any experience coming off the SS program and switching to the CF WODs to lose the extra weight they've gained while being able to maintain their new strength numbers?

I'm 6'0 and 190 pounds, by the way.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:15 AM   #2
Kevin Thomas

Profile:
Re: Coming off SS/CFFB/CFSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Beaulieu View Post
I wasn't sure to put this into the nutrition thread, or here, but figured fitness was the place. If not, moderators feel free to move it.

I'm currently doing CFFB and drinking a gallon of milk a day because I want my strength numbers to go up -- that's my goal. However, I don't want to stay on the program forever, because I'm getting my strength numbers up to be able to do all of the heavier CF workouts from the main page as RXd (Linda, etc.) -- that's my long term goal.

My question is -- after a few more weeks on CFFB/GOMAD program I've been on, I'm eventually going to come off. How do I make sure that I don't lose most of my strength gains (and the mass gain in my legs/chest/butt/shoulders) when I switch back to the CF mainpage WODs? Does anyone have any experience coming off the SS program and switching to the CF WODs to lose the extra weight they've gained while being able to maintain their new strength numbers?

I'm 6'0 and 190 pounds, by the way.
I wouldn't worry too much about it. Strength is one of the more persistant aspects of fitness. You will probably lose some strength coming off a strength centered program to a more balanced program like MP CF, but it shouldn't be too severe or quick. If you notice it start to fall and that bothers you, you can always add in some extra strength work.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:22 AM   #3
Steven Matheson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Thomas View Post
I wouldn't worry too much about it. Strength is one of the more persistant aspects of fitness. You will probably lose some strength coming off a strength centered program to a more balanced program like MP CF, but it shouldn't be too severe or quick. If you notice it start to fall and that bothers you, you can always add in some extra strength work.
I agree. The whole "lose mah gainz brah" is hype. CrossFit is a strength and conditioning program after all -- adding in one day of ME squats would be cool.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:20 AM   #4
Marcus Allen

Profile:

Andy- I did three sessions of CFSB and am now following the OPT site. While my limit strength has come down a little, my strength endurance is still much improved.

If you are worried about limit strength, add a heavy BS or DL session in prior to your MP WOD. Just keep a close eye on recovery.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:57 AM   #5
Steven Low

Profile:

Yup, transfer into CFSB or MEBB and then ultimately into mainpage.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:07 AM   #6
Andy Beaulieu

Profile:

Thanks for the replies, guys. I'll keep an eye on my numbers and such, and if need be, a few months down the line I'll switch back to the CFFB cycle I'm doing at the moment.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:07 AM   #7
Andy Beaulieu

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Yup, transfer into CFSB or MEBB and then ultimately into mainpage.
Sorry about all the questions -- but what is MEBB?
Old 08-12-2009, 08:47 PM   #8
Steven Low

Profile:

max effort black box

CFSB, MEBB and Gant's hybrid are very similar strength biased programs with some metcon work