CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-08-2009, 04:53 PM   #1
Charlie Karnick

Profile:
CFFB and Overtraining

So I decided to switch it up and start up CFFB because I feel that its more consistent with my goals (Strength and speed as opposed to endurance w/some strength and speed work). Anyway, I recently got a sandbag and have been training CF in the morning (5am) and doing work with the sandbag in the evening (6pm). I've only been doing this for a couple of days but my question is, If I start CFFB will extra sandbag work stall my progress or will it assist? I guess i'm wondering if CFFB is similar to SS in that doing extra work outside of the program will hurt your gains. Thanks!
Old 07-08-2009, 06:30 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: CFFB and Overtraining

You can try it and see....

But seriously, working outside any program is going to hurt. Most programs are well thought through that doing any extra work is sub-optimal
Old 07-08-2009, 06:59 PM   #3
Tony Arms

Profile:

Why the serious response? Your pic is hilarious. Well done.
Old 07-08-2009, 07:25 PM   #4
Randy Hill

Profile:

I don't know about you, but I have been following the CFFB strength WOD and daily WOD for the past week or so and today is a rest day - I feel like i've been beaten with a sledge hammer. There's no way i'd recover properly with extra training and I am eating 4k cals/day.
Old 07-09-2009, 08:40 AM   #5
David Knutzen

Profile:

You may be different, but my thought is that it'll be real tough to recover from that.

I've been doing CFSB, which is pretty similar to CFFB, and recovery has been a constant battle for me. I'm young and very accustomed to CF-style WODs as well, but I've become very familiar with the beaten-by-a-sledgehammer feeling that Randy describes. I'd advise that you take 2-3 weeks of just CFFB, and then try to add in the sandbag work if you're feeling spunky.
Old 07-09-2009, 08:47 AM   #6
Ryan Whitley

Profile:

Instead of adding additional sandbag work, why not just use the sandbag instead of a barbell for the CFFB WOD?

Take the workout from 07 JULY 2009. It is on the page as:

Complete for time:
15, 10, 5
Power Clean 185 lbs
Ring Dips

Just sub a heavy sandbag for the barbell and get this:

Complete for time:
15, 10, 5
Power Clean xlbs sandbag
Ring Dips

That makes more sense to me. I like sandbags, and I think they are great when used in conditioning circuits. Good luck!
Old 07-09-2009, 08:54 AM   #7
Kevin Thomas

Profile:

I don't follow CFFB, so maybe this is a dumb observation, but . . . Isn't CFFB designed to be followed by people who also regularly attend football practice? I looked through their site and didn't see how to incorporate football practice with CFFB programming - it may be there and obvious, I just missed it.

It would seem to me that sandbag work could be used in place of football practice for those who aren't actually competing in a sport. In any case, you'll probably get better, more informed responses over at CFFB.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:02 AM   #8
Gabriel Goodwin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Thomas View Post
I don't follow CFFB, so maybe this is a dumb observation, but . . . Isn't CFFB designed to be followed by people who also regularly attend football practice? I looked through their site and didn't see how to incorporate football practice with CFFB programming - it may be there and obvious, I just missed it.

It would seem to me that sandbag work could be used in place of football practice for those who aren't actually competing in a sport. In any case, you'll probably get better, more informed responses over at CFFB.
I think ideally the CFFB programming would take the place of the strength and conditioning usually done at football practices, so all that would remain is running drills, plays etc. But, I doubt most (if any) football players have control over what their coaches program in their practices.
Old 07-09-2009, 05:28 PM   #9
Kenny Woods

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Karnick View Post
So I decided to switch it up and start up CFFB because I feel that its more consistent with my goals (Strength and speed as opposed to endurance w/some strength and speed work). Anyway, I recently got a sandbag and have been training CF in the morning (5am) and doing work with the sandbag in the evening (6pm). I've only been doing this for a couple of days but my question is, If I start CFFB will extra sandbag work stall my progress or will it assist? I guess i'm wondering if CFFB is similar to SS in that doing extra work outside of the program will hurt your gains. Thanks!
I've been CFing for about 1.5 years and decided to start working in some CFFB SWOD's & Daily WODS too about 2.5 months. Eventually i switched over completely to CFFB. I had been having great success with their programing at first but I it started to take it's toll on me. Recently, I began to experience extended periods of soreness, overall fatigue, and not "feeling right", along with decreased times/lifts. I actually felt so bad at times that i convinced myself i had lymes disease, but my blood work came back excellent. It could have been that my job was very labor intensive (farming/maintenance) and i was attending school so it could have been the overall stress that just got to me. I have been fairly idol for about 3 weeks now and am finally starting to feel back to normal. Just listen to your body it knows best
Old 07-09-2009, 06:17 PM   #10
Júlíus Magnússon

Profile:

If extra sandbag work would be beneficial, John Welbourne would make you do extra sandbag work.

If you wanna play with your sandbag, just use it in a metcon when the opportunity arises.

CFFB will be very hard to recover from just by itself. Even if you're eating like you're on a SS cycle. It's basically SS + 5 metcons a week.