CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 04-10-2009, 04:29 PM   #1
Tom Woodward

Profile:
Eighty Twenty: Woody's CFFB Hybrid

I usually keep all my workout data in Outlook at work, but I thought I'd start a log here in case I suddenly get fired for being on this message board all day and they haul me out of the building without giving me a chance to back up all my workout data (which would be more frustrating than losing my job. Great priorities, huh? )

Another reason this seems like a timely moment to start a log is because I'm moving away from affiliate/mainpage programming toward a CrossFit Football Strength program. I'm doing this for two reasons:
1. I've been meaning to start a strength biased hybrid anyway and John is coming up with some excellent WODs over at CFFB that is close to what I had in mind.
2. Stated plainly, I'm not happy with my mechanics. I've been progressing well at CrossFit over the past 6 months, lowering times in met cons and bumping weight in ME's. But I realized after seeing Dave Castro's piece on the 80:20 balance of technique to intensity that I'm trying to skip a few steps on the climb up the mountain. If I had to put a number to it, I'd say my workouts have been in the 50:50 range for the past year, with too much importance placed on intensity at the expense of technique.

So as the name of my log suggests, from this point forth the goal of each workout is to strike that 80:20 balance of technique to intensity. The intensity will come at the edges of failure in both max effort and met con workouts, where form will began to break in order to achieve higher loading and faster times, but not at the expense of forming bad habits.

I won't be following the CFFB WOD every day since I do one day of gymnastics each week and will begin one day of Oly lifting. That will leave me with 3 CFFB WODs per week in addition to the other two days of work. I'll be eating wide eyed paleo + dairy, trying to gain some size.

Current Stats:
6'4"
25 years old
14% BF

Deadlift: 374
Squat: 308
Bench: 235
Power Clean: 185
Overhead Squat: 155
Snatch: 154
Press: 145
Push Jerk: 185
Push Press: 160
Kipping Pullups: 20
Deadhang Pullups: 10
500m Row: 1:25
Consecutive DU's: 155
Muscle Up: 1
Old 04-10-2009, 04:34 PM   #2
Tom Woodward

Profile:
Re: Eighty Twenty: Woody's CFFB Hybrid

Warm Up
500m row
Dislocates
Pullups
Dips
Hip mobility
Quadrupedal

Strength WOD
Box Squat 3x5 (previous: 165)
95x4
115x3
135x3
155x2

170x5
170x5
170x5

Glute Ham Raise
3x10

Pullups - 3 max sets (4 minutes rest in between)
Underhand max - 10
Overhand kipping max - 15
Overhand kipping max - 17

WOD Comments
Still a bit sick, so skipped the met con and added GHR and pullups instead. Will do the bench portion tomorrow. Squats felt solid, though didn't get as much p chain involvement in the earlier sets as I would have like to. Let the shins move more forward of vertical on the last few sets and it felt much more solid. Used a small box, a 35, and a 25 for most sets. Raised it up to two 35's after I realized I was winking a bit at the bottom.

Nutrition/Recovery
Pre
9 hours sleep
1 hour: chicken, peanut butter, apple, mayo, milk

1.5 hours: chicken breast, greens, evoo, green beans, apple
8 hours sleep
Old 04-10-2009, 04:37 PM   #3
Tom Woodward

Profile:

Warm Up
250m row
Dislocates
OHS
Kip swings
Hip mobility

Strength WOD
Bench 3x5 (previous: 195)
135x3
155x3
185x2

200x5
200x5
200x5

HSPU 3x5
Knee on Box x5
Knee on Box x5
Knee on Box x5

WOD Comments
Bench was solid. Probably could have cranked out 7 on the first and 6 on the second and third sets. Just about 90% of 1rm right now. Already frightened for the tabata deadlifts coming down the pipe tomorrow. Still unsure about whether to use 225 or 185. We'll see how I feel.

Nutrition/Recovery
Pre
8 hours sleep
1 hour: 1/2 chicken breast, mayo, apple
30 mins: double espresso

1.5 hours: chicken breast, pear, assorted nuts, evoo
Old 04-10-2009, 04:38 PM   #4
Ned Ferguson

Profile:

Quote:
Stated plainly, I'm not happy with my mechanics.
I agree. I recently started CFSB and a big reason is that the lifts do not come up often enough in the WODs to really get good CNS adaptation. When I get comfortable with the mechanics I'll probably go back to the main page WODs.
Old 04-13-2009, 09:29 AM   #5
Tom Woodward

Profile:

CFFB Workout done Saturday the 11th

Warm Up
500m row
Dislocates
OHS
Kip swings
Hip mobility
Burgener warm up

Strength WOD
Power Snatch 5x3 (previous hang power: 95) (previous full power: 115)
65x3 (hang)
75x3 (hang)
95x3 (hang)
100x3 (hang)
110x3
115x3
3 position snatch - 95x1

Max Pullups - 3 sets (3 mins rest in between) (previous: 10 DH, 20 kip, 13 kip)
23 kip, 15 kip, 15 kip

WOD
Tabata Deadlift @ 135 lbs
12, 10, 8, 6, 5, 5, 6, 10 = 62

WOD Comments
Felt a bit run down on everything. No snap to the snatches, but maintained solid form. First set of pullups were good, but fell off quickly. Deadlifts were a lot more difficult than expected. Was aiming for 100, but just couldn't get myself into gear today. Just reaching then end of a week of sickness, so that may have been a factor.

Nutrition/Recovery
Pre
9 hours sleep
1 hour: turkey sandwich, glass of milk
30 mins: 12 oz black coffee

6 hours sleep
Old 04-13-2009, 09:41 AM   #6
Tom Woodward

Profile:

Tate on the Box Squat:

Just finished watching the video series on the box squat in the Journal, as well as reading Russell Berger's write up of Tate's presentation. I've always had a hunch my hammies and glutes are a bit inactive in the squat and after watching that series, now I'm sure of it. A few points to keep in mind as I continue to work the box squat:
- Sit wayyyy back
- Take a wider stance than you think you need
- Make sure the box is high enough
- Continue to supplement with GHR's after squat sessions
Old 04-13-2009, 06:55 PM   #7
Tom Woodward

Profile:

Warm Up
500m row
Dislocates
OHS
Kip swings
Hip mobility
Burgener warm up

10 mins handstand skill work (longest free hold of 15s)

Strength WOD
Box Squat 3x5 (previous: 170)
45x5
65x3
95x2
115x3
135x2

155x5
155x5
155x5

Push Press 3-3-3-3-3 (previous: 155)
45x3 (WU)
65x3 (WU)
95x3
115x3
135x3
145x3
160x3 (PR)
175x1 (PR)

WOD
5 rounds for time of:
110m row
10 KB swings, 1.5pood
6 pullups

7:13

Cool Down - Stretching, GHR x10

WOD Comments
Really tried to make use of Dave Tate's cues for the box squat and sit back as far as possible. It's amazing how much harder it is to get off that box when the shins are vertical as opposed to angled forward. 155 ended up being a perfect working weight when using the wide stance, sit way back, and chest high technique. Will bump up 5, possibly 10 lbs for the next workout. Push presses felt very solid. After the 3 rep PR felt real good so decided to go for the PR in the single. Might have been able to squeeze out another 5lbs, but am very happy with the effort. Gotta love workouts after a rest day. Met con WOD felt a little slow and gassed the back and arms real quick, but it was nice to sweat a little after finally recovering from a week of being sick. Broke form a bit on swings in round 5, but not substantially.

Nutrition/Recovery
Pre
8.5 hours sleep
4 hours: 1.5 chicken breast, greens, 1/2 avo, lots of evoo and balsamic
30 mins: double espresso

30 min: 3 cups chocolate milk. Probably too much but when I drink out of the carton, it's impossible to put the stuff down. MMMMM…
1.5 hours: chicken breast, asparagus, apple, EVOO
Old 04-14-2009, 07:20 PM   #8
Tom Woodward

Profile:

Warm Up
500m row
Dislocates
Kip swings
Quadrupedal
Samson
Lunges with broomstick overhead
GHR's
Single leg DL (right leg)
Broomstick burgener warm up/OHS
Handstand practice - 5 mins

Skill
Burgener warm up (snatch grip) x3
Snatch balance bar sequence
Hang power snatch/snatch balace/overhead squat complex - 65x2, 70x1
Hang full snatch doubles - 65x2, 75x2

Strength WOD

Deadlift 5, 5, 5, 5, 5 (previous: 285)
135x5
185x5
225x5
245x5
290x5 (PR)

Bench Press 3x5 (previous: 200)
135x5
185x2

205x5
205x5
205x5

WOD
5 rounds for time of:
155lb power clean, 3 reps
10 box jumps

6:20

WOD Comments
Long workout, but felt solid. Hips felt great after the heavy mobility work in the warm up. Good timing on the snatch balances and hang snatches, but not great. Always room for improvement. Hips and P chain was ready to rock after the long warm up and skill session. Coincidentally heard K Star on the CF Radio today talking about how you're likely to get much more out of a WOD with a long warm up that may fatigue you slightly than a shorter warm up that leaves you more fresh. For most people, the increased mobility from the extended warm up will far outweight the negative effects of slightly fatiguing yourself. From reading OPT's blog, I get the sense that the guys and gals in Calgary share this sentiment. I've seen OPT and Aucoin list 45 - 50 minute warm ups for high intensity met cons sometimes.
Deads were pretty good, but form definitely broke on reps 3-5 of the work set. Powered through it and stayed in the heels and kept the torso tight, so a pretty decent lift. Bench continued to progress well. Will jump 5lbs for the next workout, but may have to go up by 2.5 after that. Shortened the met con slightly from 7 rounds to 5 and subbed in box jumps for the sprints. Used 155 for cleans instead of John's prescribed insanity of 225. Someday I'll get there.

Nutrition/Recovery
Pre
8 hours sleep
5 hours: 3 pieces bread (2 whole wheat), 5 oz turkey, 4 oz salami, 6 oz cheese, pesto mayo, greens, tomato, grapes
3 hours: 1 piece bread, 3 oz turkey, 5 oz roast beef, pesto mayo, blueberries, strawberries, blackberries
1 hour: black coffee
1.5 hours: chicken, asparagus, greens, avocado
Old 04-16-2009, 08:00 AM   #9
Tom Woodward

Profile:

Adult Gymnastics Class

Warm Up
3 rounds
10 squats
10 K2E
10 pushups

Press to handstand progression - legs against wedge mat on wall
5 mins handstand work

Tumbling
Handstand forward roll
Straddle forward roll to straddle stand
Backward roll
Good side cartwheel - lunge to lunge
Other side cartwheel
Roundoff from power hurdle - 3 passes

Back Tucks - 7 efforts, double spotted on all, 3 landed very well
Back Handsprings - 4 efforts, all landed well

Parallel Bars

30 support swings
10 upper arm swings
5 mins handstand on low p bars

Rings
10 muscle up attempts - none successful but very close
Inverted hangs
Skin the cat
10s tucked back lever
10s straddle legs up back lever

Conditioning
"Isabel" with 95lbs
30 snatches for time

1:41

Weighted Dips 5-5-5-5-5
20, 25, 30, 35, 45

WOD Comments

Still need to work on the power hurdle. Not getting enough of a power jump into the roundoff. First time trying to throw a back tuck. Weird feeling but awesome! First few were sketchy but in later attempts got the feeling of jumping high first and then whipping the legs around to complete it. Definitely a goal to hit this unspotted. Handsprings were rusty at first but got better when I stayed tight and reached back more. Muscle ups were frustrating. Need to keep working high ring pullups in the false grip to get higher in the pull. As of now, my elbows are flaring before I get to the transition and killing the move. Thoughts on why I did Isabel at 95lbs in the following post.

Nutrition/Recovery

Pre
8 hours sleep
1.5 hours: apple, 1/2 chicken breast, mayo, peanut butter

Foam rolling
1 hour: 2 glasses milk, chicken burrito with avocado, sour cream, greens, mixed cheese
7.5 hours sleep
Old 04-16-2009, 08:24 AM   #10
Tom Woodward

Profile:

Thoughts on Scaling

The other day I watched Josh Everett's superhuman effort at Isabel, doing 30 snatches at 135 in 71 seconds. Since we were doing the same WOD for conditioning yesterday, I had this idea that I wanted to feel what it was like for Josh to do that workout. So I made some assumptions. Let's say Josh's max snatch is 250 (total guess), making the rx'ed weight of 135 54% of his 1RM. With my max snatch of 155, the equivalent would be 84lbs. So I took 40kg's (88lbs) and went at Isabel, finishing in 1:41. Thinking more, I realized Josh's Isabel is more of a testament to his life of training than his diligent work on Isabel. Josh didn't get good at Isabel by using the Rx'ed weight and struggling through it at first (like I usually do) and slowly bringing his times down. Rather he's good at it because he developed a flawless snatch technique and accompanying strength to make a 250lb lift.

Now thinking in terms of volume, Josh doing 30 snatches at 54% of his 1RM is very low in terms of total volume in a training session. It's essentially a light conditioning workout. Now consider me trying to do Isabel as Rx'ed at 135, which is 87% of my 1RM. 30 snatches at this % for me is a huge amount of volume. Not to mention the amount of form breakdown that goes along with trying to lift 85% of your max when fatigued. So the question is, would I be better served spending that bank account of volume in a different way. If instead of trying to muscle through Isabel as Rx'ed, I would do a full heavy snatch workout of balances, hangs, and finally full snatch singles or doubles. Then at the end, do Isabel at 40kg, a weight that would allow me to back into the same time that Josh Everett does the workout. Or I could manipulate weight and reps, taking maybe 50kg and doing 20 reps in lets say 1:30.

This is an interesting way to skin the cat. Develop strength and technique with pure strength work in the bulk of the training session. Then at the end, put yourself through a "handicapped" WOD by stripping reps and/or weight from the workout and try to back into elite times. Will think more on this and of course keep black boxing to see what works and what doesn't.....