CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 11-02-2003, 11:37 AM   #1
Alexander Karatis

Profile:
My limited knowledge of the human peptic system tells me that we secrete (chk spelling!) various substances in our body everytime we chew, in order to facilitate digestion.

If so, does this mean that the same happens everytime we chew gum?

I am an avid gum-chewer and was wondering if this could have any effect on our bodies long-term. (Secreting this stuff all day long, day ater day).

Sounds stupid i know, it's just one of those weird things that come to mind every so often!
Old 11-04-2003, 10:13 AM   #2
Alexander Karatis

Profile:
I will assume there is no need to worry...?
Old 11-04-2003, 11:53 AM   #3
Roger Harrell

Profile:
Everything I have heard is chewing gum is greatly benificial in general. (sugar-free of course). It cleans your teeth, strengthens your jaws, aids in digestion.
Old 11-04-2003, 12:50 PM   #4
Robert Wolf

Profile:
I'll run with what Roger said!
Robb
Old 11-04-2003, 04:24 PM   #5
David Heyer

Profile:
Alexander,
Chewing gum is not as healthy as it is made out to be. In fact, it can be very dangerous if you have dental fillings.
Chewing gum releases mercury from the fillings into the bloodstream. Mercury is a poison that damages the brain, the central nervous system and the kidneys.
http://www.mercola.com/domains/nomercury.htm
See this German study;
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=9 409909&dopt=Abstract
Chewing gum also releases digestive enzymes in the mouth. Doing so wastes the enzymes, which over time can also cause problems.
Chewing gum contributes to ulcer formation and TMJ for heavy chewers.
Sugar free gum (nutra-sweet) also has numerous downfalls. It lowers your sperm count http://mdn.mainichi.co.jp/waiwai/0304/0414seeds.html and causes numerous physical and mental problems. See Dr. Mercola's views: http://www.mercola.com/article/aspar...et_scandal.htm
This is bad news, I know. Sorry to give it to ya.
Dave
Old 11-04-2003, 06:32 PM   #6
Jay Edvardz

Profile:

Dave,

Better for you to give bad news than for people to continue to believe they are doing something that is perfectly healthy, that in reality is extremely detrimental. Great information. Thanks.

-Jay
Old 11-05-2003, 07:28 AM   #7
Dave Shambs

Profile:  
After reading David's post Gum is a No-No for me from now on,you learn somewthing of importance everday, thx for that.
Old 11-05-2003, 04:51 PM   #8
Brad Hirakawa

Profile:
My three cents on aspartame:

Artificial sweeteners bad vs. good... the debate goes on. Personally, I avoid them. The questions revolve around whether they are safe or unhealthy. I hear no debates that ask if they are healthy (perhaps because it's just a silly question). That is, they are certainly not nutritionally "good" in any way, so why risk it?

The bigger picture: Perhaps folks tend to crave sweets because the typical (unhealthy) diet artificially amplifies the innate desire for healthier treats (fruits)? After following the zone/paleo/NHE approach (aka the crossfit diet), I no longer crave sweets in the first place, and therefore the need to allay a craving for sweets, though the use of an artificial sweeter, is a null point.