CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 10-18-2006, 09:07 AM   #1
Howard Wilcox

Profile:
Just a curiosity question. When bumpers are shipped (due to the fact they are quite heavy), are they typically shipped UPS/DHL/etc or do they go with an independent shipper of some sort (to get cheaper rates I guess)?

Thanks...

Howard
Old 10-18-2006, 09:27 AM   #2
Ro Bostick

Profile:
Probably depends on the seller. i ordered a set of powerlifting discs from ivanko directly a couple years ago and they were shipped through a private trucking company. I think it works a lot in the same way as furniture deliveries. My guess is the bigger dealers probably have contracts with trucking companies while the smaller operations rely on dhl. Also I think ups has a weight limit on what they will ship so that may factor in too
Old 10-18-2006, 09:34 AM   #3
Howard Wilcox

Profile:
Thanks...that makes sense.

Howard
Old 10-18-2006, 10:02 AM   #4
Paul Findley

Profile:
I recently bought a set of 10/15/25/35/45 pound.

Two of each plate per Box, 5 boxes via UPS.
Old 10-18-2006, 12:06 PM   #5
Chris Fitzgerald

Profile:
I just got the package of 2x 10/15/25/35/45 lbs and it came via UPS on a pallet, no boxes. This order was through THe rubberman.
Old 10-18-2006, 12:16 PM   #6
Arden Cogar Jr.

Profile:
I too got mine from the Rubberman and it came via R&L transport. They called me at work and I went and met them. They even kept the Pallet for me.

All the best,
Arden
Old 10-19-2006, 09:48 AM   #7
Dan Snyder

Profile:
From therubberman.com: By pallet via UPS in less than a week after ordering (ARRIVED LAST NIGHT!! Woot! Woot!)
Old 10-19-2006, 02:20 PM   #8
Glenn Pendlay

Profile:
It is going to depend on both the amount of plates, and the distance.

When I ship 2-4 plates, it almost always goes UPS or DHL. When I ship more than that, I check the several options, including UPS and FedEx freight, other trucking companies, and the regular UPS and DHL package delivery services for the lowest rate.

Some of it also depends on who you have an account with... I have accounts with several companies, but used to get the biggest discount and best rates from UPS, recently DHL has increased my discount and their rates are now cheaper than even the trucking companies for most orders. I know of others who have very good deals with FedEx and get a better deal with FedEx than any other company.

Old 10-20-2006, 05:26 AM   #9
Allison Foreman

Profile:
York's shipping department contracts with a number of freight companies, and we look at the order and the companies to secure the lowest rate for the client as well as the safest shipment method for the products. With many freight companies, residential or school freight is costlier than commercial deliveries, so keep this in mind for your delivery point! Allison - York Barbell
Old 10-26-2006, 11:41 AM   #10
Rene Renteria

Profile:
I ordered the Pendlay budget set (Pendlay men's bar and 10, 15, and 20 kg bumpers). The bumpers arrived today after about 2 weeks, via UPS Freight. In an earlier thread, I had said they were to be Kraiburg bumpers; they are Hi-Temps. Not sure why I had the wrong idea.

UPS gave me a window of 10am - 2pm for dropoff and the option of leaving a note for the driver to leave them somewhere. I chose to wait for them so they wouldn't get taken by some no-good miscreant from my driveway (hard to resist a fresh set of bumpers!). I hadn't received any notice about their having shipped and ended up calling Glenn to make sure they had. Which, of course, they had.

UPS called me yesterday to schedule a delivery time window. The dispatcher said San Francisco (or any bigger city) is difficult for scheduling more precise windows b/c of traffic.

They arrived on a pallet, but the driver let me take just the bumpers. He kept the pallet.

The bar itself arrived separately, in about a week via UPS. UPS had sent me an email with a tracking number and drop-off date on the day they shipped.

The bar is great, and the bumpers look it, too. I'll try to post some pics and impressions later, once I've used them.

Best,
Rene'

(Message edited by rrenteri on October 26, 2006)