CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 05-26-2016, 01:21 PM   #321
Michael Cook

Profile:
Re: Crossfit Open 2016

I think disqualifying the whole team is an overly harsh penalty for one person refusing to take a drug test. Then again, Laura Phelps-Sweatt is the affiliate manager, so her actions are going to have some repercussions on the whole team.
Old 05-26-2016, 02:38 PM   #322
Victor J McQuaide

Profile:

If people did not drink the cool aid.. I think that Crossfit would have some legal problems. Seems kinda like they make up their own rules on a case by case basis. Not taking fairness into the situation.

DQ- Dani Sidel and Josh G in 2013 I think.. Then penalize Josh B and some other big time Masters people. I think with the penalty people are going to cheat more and turn in sloppy video. They should post the video's of the people who get busted for skipping reps, can't count or don't do full ROM. Then check the other video's and if they are more of the same DQ for sure. I don't care who's brother you are.

Now CF HQ DQ's the whole team for one person who doesn't pee in the cup? Yes the more that I think about it the worse it gets. She gets kicked off the team. Test the rest of them or just let them play without her.
Old 05-26-2016, 05:42 PM   #323
Diana Alt

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor J McQuaide View Post
If people did not drink the cool aid.. I think that Crossfit would have some legal problems. Seems kinda like they make up their own rules on a case by case basis. Not taking fairness into the situation.

DQ- Dani Sidel and Josh G in 2013 I think.. Then penalize Josh B and some other big time Masters people. I think with the penalty people are going to cheat more and turn in sloppy video. They should post the video's of the people who get busted for skipping reps, can't count or don't do full ROM. Then check the other video's and if they are more of the same DQ for sure. I don't care who's brother you are.

Now CF HQ DQ's the whole team for one person who doesn't pee in the cup? Yes the more that I think about it the worse it gets. She gets kicked off the team. Test the rest of them or just let them play without her.
I have absolutely no problem whatsoever with the entire team being disqualified, since she is the affiliate manager. If the affiliate manager from my gym failed to pee in a cup, I would expect the same. If another teammate skipped a test, I would expect just them to be DQd unless there was evidence the affiliate manager was also involved.
Old 05-26-2016, 11:41 PM   #324
Danielle Chollet

Profile:

It makes sense that they booted the whole team. If you look through the other women on their open team roster, it looks like none of their scores would have been good enough to replace hers. Clearly, the team would not have qualified without her scores.

(And in fact the regional team 4th member she named as her replacement had very weak placements on the open wods, ranging from 1088th to 2029th in the Central East. Looks like she could only do 5 bar muscleups on 16.3 and 13 of the 15 squat cleans at 85# in 16.2!)
Old 05-27-2016, 12:47 AM   #325
Alex Burden

Profile:

I think it is good that CFHQ is cleaning things up but they really need to be clear with the rules for individuals and teams.

In the case of the team it is tricky because it depends on when they want to take a test. If they try to take a test now just before the regionals and the person says NO! then there are only 3 possibilities.

1 - DQ team, and no other team replaces them (team that placed 6 in the open loses out)
2 - DQ team - team that place 6th gets trip to regionals
3 - DQ person for 1 year, team permited to replace this person BUT, score is re- calculated based on new team result. Based on new results it may be the fact that the team no longer qualifies and new ranking applies.

The thing is there are issues with this no matter how we look at it and DQ the team is the easiest. The thing is the team that came 6th has been possibly been cheated out of a trip to regionals.

Another thing is that the team that came 6th for that region may have moved on after the open, stopped working out together and if they were offered a spot it would be on really short notice. They would have not tested the workouts thus coming in with a real dissadvantage. Just planning to get there and everything else would be a pain and more expensive at such short notice, and if you have to travel far it will be a real pain.

Whatever way we look at it the team that placed 6th got stitched up so DQ the team is ok by me.

Last edited by Alex Burden : 05-27-2016 at 01:04 AM.
Old 05-27-2016, 06:59 AM   #326
Miles Roberts

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Alt View Post
I'm in lovely Columbus, gearing up for judges orientation in a few hours! I can't wait to see how this weekend goes. The KC area has 2 gyms with teams competing (including my home gym) and 4 individual men so it's very exciting! Who are your picks for qualifying?
Scott Panchik
Jacob Heppner
Will Moorad
Nick Urankar
Graham Holmberg

Brooke Wells
Elisabeth Akinwale
Stacy Tovar
Jen Smith

and....

Julie Foucher
Old 05-27-2016, 09:54 PM   #327
Christopher Morris

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles Roberts View Post
Scott Panchik
Jacob Heppner
Will Moorad
Nick Urankar
Graham Holmberg

Brooke Wells
Elisabeth Akinwale
Stacy Tovar
Jen Smith

and....

Julie Foucher
That would be awesome to see Julie Foucher qualify for the Games this year!

I've been a fan of Nick Fory for years. He's not competing at all this year due to a shoulder surgery.
Old 05-28-2016, 03:01 AM   #328
Diana Alt

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Morris View Post
That would be awesome to see Julie Foucher qualify for the Games this year!

I've been a fan of Nick Fory for years. He's not competing at all this year due to a shoulder surgery.
It's still too early to say who WILL qualify, but the people I most hope to qualify are

Women
Sheila Barden
Nicole Holcomb

Men
Sam Dancer
Graham Holmberg

Teams
Grandview
On Track
Old 05-29-2016, 03:10 PM   #329
Desmond Pegrum

Profile:

Shame Julie Foucher didn't qualify, she came 13th ! shows how tough the competition is

Sam Dancer qualifying is cool

Shame Cody Anderson didn't

Are there really no wildcards ? just straight 40 ?

I'd like to see 40 automatic qualifiers, then the next 2 in each region (16 athletes in total) battle for another 5 spots in a shoot out a day before the games. this might help even up the different strengths in the regions.

Another observation is that the 'specific nature' of crossfit events is coming to the fore which means there are less gifted athletes just coming out of the woodwork with 8 months crossfit training. It now takes a few years to master the crossfit techniques before anyone can compete with the top boys and girls, just like it would take several years for anyone to master the decathlon events.

Yes the crossfit games itself does through new unseen challenges but the open and the regionals are pure crossfit standard movements.

Last edited by Desmond Pegrum : 05-29-2016 at 03:25 PM.
Old 05-29-2016, 06:34 PM   #330
Jacob Burns

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Alt View Post
It's still too early to say who WILL qualify, but the people I most hope to qualify are

Women
Sheila Barden
Nicole Holcomb

Men
Sam Dancer
Graham Holmberg

Teams
Grandview
On Track
Wait..... So you're a judge and your "home" affiliate is competing in the region, yet, you still feel the need to offer predictions?