CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 12-04-2007, 11:45 AM   #1
Francisco Galarce Morales

Profile:
Question about clean

Hi... sorry that I only ask questions and don't contribute much... I'm still learning every time I visit crossfit (mostly every day) I learn more

I have a question about the clean.. I understand that you have to pull the barbell straight up and then explode to go under the barbell into a squat.

I did it wrong at first and instead of pulling the barbell straight up I used my hip to pushed it more in a curved line up and then explode underneath...

(please correct me if I'm wrong)

but now the question... I have noticed that the way I did it wrong improved my power in lifting techniques in judo because there you use the hip to get the opponent airborn and then slam him (not really an orthodox judo technique.. but hey it works)

so should I keep on doing it the wrong way extra and doing it the correct way in wods or just forget it because there are possible downsides like injuries if I do it wrong?

for reading
Old 12-05-2007, 01:14 PM   #2
Peter Terry Haas

Profile:
Re: Question about clean

Learn to do it right.

If I understand what you are saying, then you are pushing your hips horizontally and banging the weight out instead of extending your hips vertically and moving the bar upwards.

When you hit the jump portion of your clean, think about getting tall and then getting underneath the bar.

Learning proper execution will help you lift more weight more efficiently = more explosive hips = better throws. And avoid injury.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:06 AM   #3

Profile:

ok thank you..

you did understand it correctly.. I'll work on good execution
Old 12-06-2007, 09:49 PM   #4
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:

No question about it, do the lift correctly. You will find that as the weight goes up your slamming of your hips into the bar will become quite painful because the bar won't move very much. The other problem is that you will be putting yourself in a disadvantageous lifting position with your weight too forward on your toes and your back in a forward arch rather than properly aligned under the bar. You are likely to lose the weight in front of you if it so light you bang it in front of your toes, or you might even fall over backwards with a heavier weight if you get your hips too far in front of your shoulders. Whatever happens it will be bad, especially if you are doing it on purpose. Do heavy sandbag cleans with your forward hip push or perhaps suplex a heavy bag to get the simulation of that hip throw movement, but it is not a good idea to change the mechanics of the clean. Do the clean properly and your judo strength will improve just fine.
Old 12-08-2007, 05:53 AM   #5

Profile:

thx... I been working on technique this morning with the clean and jerk.. and the correct way does feel way better... I'll keep it this way and improve on technique

(and I found out that the barbell is 20 kilo instead of 10 kilo.. so my weight went up without trying )

thx for the advices and insights
Old 12-08-2007, 06:09 AM   #6
Garrett Bartholme

Profile:

Try kettlebell/dumbbell swings to develop the explosion in the hips. There is a good video in the media section that shows the right and wrong way.