CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-01-2007, 07:07 PM   #1
Dave Henry

Profile:
Since I plan all my other food I feel lost when it comes to my cheat day so I really want to plan out my day of horrible food...

so far the things that are locked in are Dairy Queen Blizzard and a loaf of cheese bread.
Old 06-01-2007, 08:01 PM   #2
Steve Liberati

Profile:
Having no plan of attack is one of the best parts of a cheat day. Just eat whatever you want, whenever you want and how much you want.

French toast for breakfast from Cracker Barrel and ice cream in the afternoon is what I look forward to every Saturday:>)
Old 06-01-2007, 09:50 PM   #3
Sean Manseau

Profile:
how often do you guys have cheat days? once a week? month? year?
Old 06-01-2007, 11:29 PM   #4
Tom Ellison

Profile:
I was wondering that too. How much does doing a cheat day once a week harm your overall nutrition?
Old 06-02-2007, 04:36 AM   #5
Steve Liberati

Profile:
Each cheat day is different. Some days I'll go overboard and eat like a pig and other days I'll have a slice of pizza at worst throughout the day. Really depends on how I feel, my appetite, and how hard I worked during the week. For the most part, I try hard to stay at least 95% compliant on my diet. So if I eat 40 meals during the week, I'll allow myself 3 cheat meals on saturday.

Its more about the psychological break from the routine than anything. Not thinking or worrying satisfying my macro ratios. Just eating whatever I want and whenever I feel like it. Kinda like a little kid again.

Then comes Sunday and I feel guilty and look forward to getting back on path. Happens every week.
Old 06-02-2007, 05:46 AM   #6
Jay Cohen

Profile:
IMHO, if you're working to curb those cravings, which we all have, the more cheat days, the harder it will become to with draw from those cravings. After a long day climbing, the group went for pizza, I wolfed down 3 big slices, no problem, could I have ordered chicken breast or fish, maybe, but I figured, go for it, but I did feel guilty, took in an extra 1,000 cals, mostly bad fat, so will I do it again, doubt it, will order chicken, as I work hard to gain the edge, why give something back that I have control over.
Dan John summed it up, diet is a 24 x 7 battle, challenge, will a cheat meal kill you, nope, no way, but to me, it's that part of the brain telling you to reach for the cookie, extra helping, what ever. My biggest reality check is just looking at my co workers or the AVERAGE person on the street that is either overweight, underweight, poor posture, smokes, and just doesn't have a clue. I smile inside and think back to finishing the WOD that morning. So to each his own, but if we ever toe up to compete, you might be thinking about that cheat meal last night, I'll be thinking about kicking your butt.

JM2C'S

Train On.

Jay
Old 06-02-2007, 06:57 AM   #7
Dave Henry

Profile:
usually its actually just a cheat meal for me. I find if I have 2 bad meals in a row my day will be wasted with mental fatigue and foggyness or I just plain passout. For example 2x fastfood meals in a row = snooze
Does that mean because I have been keeping my blood sugars so stable when I have a spike in them that I will have less tolerance to that spike?
simular to having a beer when you havent had one in a while? the effects being greater...
Old 06-02-2007, 09:45 PM   #8
Paul Theodorescu

Profile:
I think the "harm" from cheat days is not from the content of the cheat meal - but the extent to which it encourages addiction to unhealthy foods.

Now that I've gone completely paleo I never get the urge to eat anything unhealthy. It's unappealing.
Old 06-02-2007, 11:29 PM   #9
Ron Wilhelm

Profile:
Glad to see I'm not the only one going for the DQ Blizzard when it comes cheat time. I generally will go for something that I used to like, but don't eat anymore, like pizza or Sabbrets (steamed). 'Comfort' junk food. Even then there's some protein. Ice cream if probably the biggest overboard I go with simple sugars.
Old 06-03-2007, 06:12 AM   #10
Mark Cotton

Profile:
Pizza and a tall cold glass of chocolate milk