CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 07-31-2007, 11:06 PM   #1
Charles Applin

Profile:
Ok, I started out a year ago having to do jumping pull-ups and gravitron assists and slowly working my way to being able to do kips and dead hangs with minor issue even during the CFWU. GTG helped out thanks to pseudo pull-up bars at every ladder well (staircase) on my ship. Now I'm working on my next weakness: HSPU.

Right now, I'm straining to get 3 in per round during a CFWU (use it to work a weakness, right?). I don't really want to do standing presses as that's dependent on the weight room. So what's some decent protocols to build up HSPU? Yes, I would GTG alot, but believe it or not emptying out my pockets so nothing drops takes out the spontaneity.

Also, after I build up my HSPU, any thoughts on improving Muscle-ups using the Gravitron? I'm trying to talk the navy gym near my ship to put some type of hoops above the machine for my rings to connect to. Muscle-ups seem to me like the equivalent of trying to power clean and standing press your body weight, so it makes sense to train it at a lower weight.
Old 08-01-2007, 02:40 AM   #2
Gorm Laursen

Profile:
Do them everytime you're without pants!

GTG doesn't necessarily require you to do them every hour or so. A set or two in the morning and a set or two in the evening equals 2-4 sets per day. Throw in hindupushups for the rest of the day, GTG-manner. That'll move you just fine. Maybe not as fast as ideally, but nothing's ideal in this world...

Finally, IF you happen to end in the gym, do some heavy push presses and/or push jerks when you're in the gym. Explode the weight and lower slowly (count to 5) to build strength. Don't fry yourself. 2-3 sets of 2-3 reps is fine.

Regarding muscleups in the gravitron, give it a try, but I honestly don't think it'll work...The dip grips will probably hinder you, plus the gravitron will only assist your weight in that crucial part of the muscleup, where you pull up to generate enough force to pass the sticking point in the middle. I'd go for weighted pullups to the sternum and really low dips.
Old 08-01-2007, 05:46 AM   #3
Travis Hall

Profile:

For hspu- start learning to do a handstand. Then start walking around on your hands. Both of these movements will strengthen your arms and shoulders. Then- when you have a solid handstand, start working on unsupported presses. What I did was press into a handstand and slowly lower until my nose touched the ground and held that position until I fell. Slowly I gained the strength to press back up. Now, I understand this isn't easy. It will take awhile- but just the learning process will add numbers to an hspu against the wall. By the time I could sucessfully perfrom one out of every five unsupported hspu's- my reps against the wall had doubled with no specific work - 10 to 20.
I’m now doing this again to increase reps for full range hspu on the paralettes.

As for muscleups on a bar- work really explosive pullups. Even drop to sets of two or three to really focus on exploding. Start practicing clapping pullups. At the same time jump up into the top position of the muscleup and lower as slowly as absolutely possible while maintaining perfect form. This will both build strength and teach proper muscle recruitment.
When using rings you have to master a false grip. That and work on really low ring dips and continue the clapping pullups on a bar.

Hope it all helps,
T.
Old 08-01-2007, 07:34 AM   #4
Steven Low

Profile:
"Muscle-ups seem to me like the equivalent of trying to power clean and standing press your body weight, so it makes sense to train it at a lower weight."

No, more equivalent to a dip and a pullup.

If you have rings, practice negatives, explosive pullups and really low dips. For the transition make sure you (1) lead forward, (2) keep your elbows in, and (3) get your hands to your armpits. Pretty simple.

HSPUs I'd just use a wall and then when they are easier progress to parallettes or chairs where you can extend your ROM. GTG for them is fine. I remember one time when I was doing 3x10 to failure again a wall for 2-3 days in a row. One rest day and I was up to 15. Pretty good stuff. Unfortunately, this doesn't work that well for rings which I am going to try in probably a few hours...
Old 08-02-2007, 01:46 PM   #5
James Napier

Profile:
I use the gravitron for mu - 50# away at bwt of 199 now. I also alternate workouts with weighted pullups and am seeing a little improvement each week. At another gym, with a different form of gravitron, not Nautilus brand, I practiced hspu on it as well. Not really possible on the Nautilus one though, I don't think.
Old 08-02-2007, 02:50 PM   #6
Matt DeMinico

Profile:
To do HSPU's, I started with just doing the handstand with arms fully extended for as long as possible. In a short amount of time I was able to unlock my arms a little bit and push back up. Then I just started going lower little by little. I'd put X number of VHS tapes (sitting in my closet right next to where I do them), and do a set of HSPU. Take away a tape every so often, and eventually you're at the ground and popping them off. Eventually you'll be able to do them on short parallettes and touch the ground still, and eventually you'll be able to go all the way to hands touching shoulders on parallettes, and maybe beyond, I dunno.
Old 08-03-2007, 12:04 AM   #7
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
Work and Family Safe:

http://www.usa-gymnastics.org/public...pdf/GetFit.pdf

Look at Shape Drill # 3. Get into a supported piked handstand so that your hips are slightly higher than your heels on whatever your feet are standing on. Lower to headstand and push back to the supported handstand while opening the shoulders. Good drill. A good drill easier than just handstand to headstand and back.

Besides the aforementioned HSPU drills such as HS against wall to headstand, decline PU to steep decline PU, etc.

Beyond just going to shoulders on parallettes when doing HSPU would be leaning forward toward planche. Basically lower down towards the planche and then PU.

On Still Rings as a strength element is straight body, bent arm press to handstand. During it, the body is kept straight to the shoulderstand and then pushed to handstand. Basically to do the above, just do the reverse of this to end in a bent arm planche.
Old 08-04-2007, 12:33 AM   #8
Ben Moskowitz

Profile:
Those gymnasts are insane. Leg flexibility on the pistol?!? whoa... Thanks for the drill Blair, I will be GTG/warming up with that one.