CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 12-23-2004, 03:42 PM   #1
Joseph Blaire

Profile:
My Chest is still sore from doing "Lynne" yesterday. For today's WOD I want to do the Crossfit Warmup with pull ups, dips and maybe push-ups on my new rings included. My question is should I let my chest rest ? Because even though my chest is sore I can easily push through the soreness. I just want to know if it's advisable to do so.

Here's how I did on "Lynne" by the way :Body Weight: 150
BP PU
1) (Used 155 ) 9/ 12
2)(Used 150 on this set and the rest) 9/8
3)7/7
4)6/7
5)5/6
I haven't done Bench Press in a long time, not impressed with my results. My pullups still suck.

For Warmup I did : 3 Rounds of: Sampson Stretch, OH Squat with unloaded (45 pound)Bar,Situps, Reverses Hypers on Swill Ball on top of a Bench, 5 Burpees.
Old 12-23-2004, 04:15 PM   #2
Pat Janes

Profile:

You're doing alright, compared to many (including myself), Joseph.

I can push out a rep (maybe 2 on a good day) of BW bench, but it's pointless me trying to do it for reps at the moment; so I do "Lynne" for a little less than BW (I'm working on bringing up my bench). If you're doing it at all at BW (or a little more), you're doing better than would the vast majority of the population.

As for the soreness... in general, I think CF gets us to push through soreness all the time. It's not necessarily a reason to avoid a movement.

It can be very difficult to gauge overtraining, but I think if you keep the movement(s) to a relatively easy level (ie. warm-up, not wear-out) and the movements don't show up in the WOD, you'll be fine... it may indeed help to ease the soreness.
Old 12-23-2004, 05:26 PM   #3
Joseph Blaire

Profile:
Pat, you always come through with a complete answer and explanation. Because Bench Pressing is called upon so rarely in Crossfit do you think most people improve much in it? Anyway, happy Xmas mate to you and all the other Cross-fitters. :angry:
Old 12-24-2004, 06:03 AM   #4
Pat Janes

Profile:

Cheers, Joseph. And Merry Xmas to all, also...

As for improvement in bench; I have seen a slight improvement, without specifically training for it; probably all of the ring dips etc.

But I'm still not happy with my bench efforts. As I can't bench BW for reps, I'm working on it by "practicing" with a set (4-5 reps) of about 80-90% max when the mood takes me.
Old 12-24-2004, 10:23 AM   #5
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
I was doing bodyweight for 15 to 12 reps on Lynne (205). The easiest way to improve BP is by increasing the strength of your triceps. Alot of work we do in crossfit involves the triceps, but if a big bench is important to you, close grip bench presses ring dips, etc. will help.
Old 12-25-2004, 07:39 AM   #6
Wayne Silverman

Profile:  
I'm still sore..i'm new to crossfit and still not up to pushing real hard, I did the BP's with 175, which is awful close to my BWT of 180...only got 3 sets, my numbers were
15/12
8/10
8/8
I didn't complete the 5 sets so I threw in a 500 meter row on the C2 at the end, as fast as i could manage which is an unimpressive 2:26...took about 20 minutes for the whole thing, I havn't done any cardio in years, CF is kicking my butt!
Old 12-25-2004, 07:49 AM   #7
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Hey Wayne, if CF wasn't kicking your butt, I'd be concerned! Get used to the butt kicking because just as the WOD is scaleable down, it's scaleable up. The suffering never ends! Which is a good thing, in a sick way. Next time try anything you could do to complete the rounds, even if it involves doing one rep or cutting the weight.
Old 12-25-2004, 12:05 PM   #8
Paul Theodorescu

Profile:
"it's scaleable up"

Who in god's name is scaling up?!?!
Old 12-25-2004, 09:29 PM   #9
Pat Janes

Profile:

"Scaling up":

A pretty common example is people doing Chelsea +n... Most of us mere mortals struggle to complete Chelsea as written:

5 pullups
10 pushups
15 squats
every minute on the minute for 30 min

But there are a number of people that do it +3, or +4... ie:

9 pullups
14 pushups
19 squats
every minute on the minute for 30 min

Also, Matt G (I've seen the occasional other) doing the 5km or 10km with a weighted pack.

Personally, the WOD as written is plenty to kick my butt for the forseeable future.