CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 07-09-2011, 11:07 AM   #1
Timothy Bliefnick

Profile:
The $1000 question

In our little river town in western IL, there is no crossfit box. I and a friend have begun organizing some park WOD's and have gotten a pretty good group together...ranging from 7-15 people on any given day.

Here is the $1000 question:

We've both agreed that we'd like to contribute $500 each and get some equipmen we would be able to use for these park WOD's to add some variation. The only stipulations are that the equipment has to be portable(we both have trucks), and we're not looking to transport Barbells/Weight Plates, things like that. Some of the items we'd be able to make ourselves are:

Med Balls, Plyo Boxes, We have tractor tires, Sand Bags, and possibly weight sleds.

If you had $1000 and were looking at equipment for this type of situation, what would you do?
Old 07-09-2011, 11:20 AM   #2
Zach S

Profile:
Re: The $1000 question

A couple pairs of 18lb, 26lb, 35lb, 53lb kettlebells.

Everything else you could either make, get for free (big tires) or improvise (playgrounds for pullups, dips, handstand pushups, etc).

I probably would use the other $500 for a beater bar and some hitemp bumpers to do oly lifts.
Old 07-09-2011, 11:44 AM   #3
David Meverden

Profile:

KB's are a good recommendation. Lots of things you can do with them (turkish getups, swings, push presses, snatches, rows, deadlifts, farmers walk).

I definitely think you should make sandbags, if you haven't already (did you want only suggestions for things you COULDN'T MAKE?). Inexpensive, adjustable, easily portable, and useful for lots of things (deadlift, shouldering, cleans, fireman carry, backsquats, sandbag front/zercher squats, thrusters, presses, sandbag getups). Without barbells they are also going to be the easiest way to get a bigger strength component in your workouts. You can do squat varieties or cleans with them before conditioning. Best instructions I've seen are in this CFJ article:
http://journal.crossfit.com/2011/05/diy-sandbags.tpl

Sleds are great but you would need too many for the whole group, you need lots of room, and it could screw up the parks grass.

Bands could be a good investment for pullups or dips, assuming you have a good place to do those.

A rope would be fun but might be too much trouble. You could hang it from a tree for climbs or have tug-of-wars.
Old 07-09-2011, 12:02 PM   #4
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Meverden View Post
A rope would be fun but might be too much trouble. You could hang it from a tree for climbs or have tug-of-wars.
The park would probably rather you hung ropes from manmade objects, not trees. Potential for damage to both the trees and the people if a branch cracks. Same goes for things like bands and rings.

Katherine
Old 07-09-2011, 02:30 PM   #5
S.S.

Profile:

I would agree with the tire recommendation. Tires can be flipped, thrown, pressed, squatted, and carried. And you can tie a tire to your hip and run with it; this is a technique of the world's greatest adventure/extreme endurance athletes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
The park would probably rather you hung ropes from manmade objects, not trees. Potential for damage to both the trees and the people if a branch cracks. Same goes for things like bands and rings.

Katherine

Agreed. I've been asked by park ranger to move my rings from the trees before.
Old 07-09-2011, 02:35 PM   #6
Justin McGinley

Profile:

Used dumbbells on craigslist can often be found for under .50/lb. and can be used for so many movements. They are cheaper and more useful than KBs.

Rings are great if you have somewhere to hang them.
Old 07-09-2011, 02:54 PM   #7
Andy Gann

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin McGinley View Post
Used dumbbells on craigslist can often be found for under .50/lb. and can be used for so many movements. They are cheaper and more useful than KBs.

Rings are great if you have somewhere to hang them.
+1 - DBs are cheaper and extremely useful.
Old 07-09-2011, 03:08 PM   #8
Timothy Bliefnick

Profile:

This is all really great feedback and really appreciated!

We've been able to secure some tires already and have plans to make our own sandbags and med balls. Plus, I have acquired some equipment over the years that we'll be able to throw into the WOD's
Old 07-10-2011, 08:38 AM   #9
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

I ran park workouts last year.

I did NOT have a truck. In fact, I had an itty bitty tiny vehicle, so I was very limited in what I could bring.

The heaviest items I brought were a handful of dumbbells and kettlebells. We did a lot of bodyweight exercises, jumping rope, ball slams, overhead walks, overhead lunges. There were enough combinations with my limited equipment that it was never the same thing.

Buy some cheap cones at Target in the dollar bin. Agility hurdles are fairly inexpensive. Bring chalk to draw an agility ladder.

I have the Muscle Driver Power Sled, which is small, inexpensive and can be pushed or pulled.
Old 07-10-2011, 09:06 AM   #10
Craig Rogers

Profile:

I saw a neat sled a guy made out of a oil drainpan (like you use to catch oil when you drain it.) He cut the top off and put plates in it.