CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 09-08-2008, 10:15 PM   #1
Stephen R. Lampl

Profile:
CFWU or Aerobics or Both?

I started CF this week. I substituted 30 minutes of intense cardio (HR at 145 - 150+) on the elliptical for the 3K run, since I don't fully trust my knee (torn quad tendons 16 mos. ago). Since I'm so deconditioned and starting at "square one" with CF, should I stick with short-duration, intense cardio, or eliminate the cardio (except when it's part of the WOD), or do both? I have always "warmed up" by doing my cardio workout first, stretching, and then going into strength training. I feel like this has made me more flexible and less prone to injury, but I'm not sure it's conducive to a good CF workout.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:21 PM   #2
Robert Callahan

Profile:
Re: CFWU or Aerobics or Both?

Doing a cardio workout before strength training is highly unproductive. You can do 5 min of some rowing to get your heart rate up and elevate your body temp in preparation of lifting but if you are doing a full 20 min "cardio" workout you are killing any gains you may be trying to make in the strength training.

If you are recovering from a Quad tear and deconditioned I would start by doing 6-8 weeks of a Starting Strength (Book by Mark Rippetoe, search it if you are unfamiliar) program to build up your base levels of strength before jumping into CF WODs. The power lifting (squatting, pressing, deadlifting) will improve your flexibility and strength more than stretching and cardio will

-Robert
Old 09-08-2008, 10:30 PM   #3
Stephen R. Lampl

Profile:
Re: CFWU or Aerobics or Both?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Callahan View Post
Doing a cardio workout before strength training is highly unproductive. You can do 5 min of some rowing to get your heart rate up and elevate your body temp in preparation of lifting but if you are doing a full 20 min "cardio" workout you are killing any gains you may be trying to make in the strength training.

If you are recovering from a Quad tear and deconditioned I would start by doing 6-8 weeks of a Starting Strength (Book by Mark Rippetoe, search it if you are unfamiliar) program to build up your base levels of strength before jumping into CF WODs. The power lifting (squatting, pressing, deadlifting) will improve your flexibility and strength more than stretching and cardio will

-Robert
Great suggestions, Robert. I've heard a lot of good things about SS - - probably would be more than worth it for me to buy the book. My right knee (the "torn" one) has full flexibility and fairly good stability, but it could be better. Stairmaster work and the air squats make it feel great.

The neat thing about CF, looking at it basically as an outsider, is that it is radically different than anything I've ever done.

Thanks!