CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 11-18-2008, 01:04 PM   #1
Benjamin Ormond

Profile:
Talking Ben's New Crossfit Journey

I use to think that years of throwing iron around coupled with some cardio and MMA had me in shape. That was until i tried crossfit for the first time yesterday. I heard about it through a friend, looked it up online and was intrigued by what I was reading. I knew I had found the key to true fitness. After 2 days I am already hooked.

For day one yesterday I started with the CFWU. That almost kicked my butt by itself! Then I decided instead of doing the WOD I needed to see where my baseline was to truly track my progress. So I did the CF Total and ended up with 1005 lbs. I was pleased, stoked and ready for the next days workout.

Today, again the CFWU was intense! Then I completed the WOD.
I started with a few warm up sets with 95 and 135 to make sure my form was okay. I then started the reps..

215(f)

I am already feeling better than ever and looking forward to tomorrow's workout!
Old 11-19-2008, 08:17 AM   #2
Benjamin Ormond

Profile:
Re: Ben's New Crossfit Journey

19 November 08
Today instead of the WOD I did Cindy. It was recommended from a friend. After 2 days of heavy lifting I felt the body weight workout would be a nice change. I knew it would get rough towards the end, but it got rough soon after I began LOL.

5 pull ups
10 push ups
15 air squats

12 rounds in 20 min.

By round 4 my pull ups were suffering in form and completeness. This has always been a weak area for me. Then by round 9 my quads were like jello on the squats. No real strugle with the push ups. This definitely taxed my metabolic conditioning. In the end i felt great, even though I was spent.

After about a 20 minute rest I did some MMA. We did a few 2 minute rounds of striking and kicking drills. I definitely did not last as long as I normally do and was completely washed after that!
Old 11-19-2008, 12:49 PM   #3
Rayna McGinnis

Profile:

I remember my first Cindy :-).

I was soooooooooo sore the next... day... and the day after that... and I'm pretty sure I was sore the day after that too. She was my first metcon!

If your pull up's are a weakness you may want to look into kipping pull ups. they'll help alot and you can find information on them in the boards and I believe there's a video link under demo's.
Old 11-20-2008, 09:23 AM   #4
Benjamin Ormond

Profile:

Hey Rayna,

Sore is an understatement, but it is goood pain. I mostly feel it in my upper back, under the scapula and in my upper chest. My lieutenant on the other hand wimpers softly every time he sits down or stands up. This was our first MetCon too. Wow!

Thanks for the tip. I have actually watched several good videos off the execise page. I guess I need to start trying to learn them. I was wonderig though, because it looks like your kinda cheating does it actually help you improve your dead hang PU?
Old 11-20-2008, 09:28 AM   #5
Benjamin Ormond

Profile:

20 November 08

Today was supposed to be an off day, but we couldn't stay out of the gym. so we started with a light CFWU, just good enough to increase the HR and break a good sweat.

Then we spent a good 45 minutes or so working on head and hand stands. Much harder than it looks. My biggest thing is developing more flexibility in my wrists. Definitely something that will take lots of practice. No problem with the head stands though. I think the longest i held an unassisted hand stand was maybe 2 seconds. LOL
Old 11-21-2008, 10:15 AM   #6
Benjamin Ormond

Profile:

21 Nov 08

I started to do a different WOD today because I am not a runner. I have never done a 5 k, ever and I hate running because I am not good at it. There was a reason I played center in football and catcher in baseball...little running LOL

So after much debate i admitted the purpose of this program was to improve on all areas of fitness. With that said I decided to at least attempt the 5k and figured I would do the best I could. I had to slow down and walk a few times but the important part is I finished it! my first 5k! my time was 37:30. Not impressive to most but to me it is a major accomplishment because I finished it! Now I will just improve from here!

After that we worked on handstands again. Today was a lot easier. I was able to hold several stands for 4-6 seconds. That is a big improvement from yesterday and they are feeling a little easier each time. All of the instructional videos are a big help, especially with me having NO gymnastics back ground.
Old 11-22-2008, 07:25 AM   #7
Benjamin Ormond

Profile:

22 Nov 08

Clean & Jerk 1-1-1-1-1-1-1

CFWU

This was a new move for me so I started with some light warm up sets to work on my form. After feeling comfortable with it, I started going heavier. As I got heavier I noticed my form was suffering so I scaled back to 155 and my form improved. I have got to work on the dip and driving my hips under the bar.

After that it was 30 min of handstand work. Showing more improvement each day. now the endurance part needs work.
Old 11-22-2008, 07:28 AM   #8
Benjamin Ormond

Profile:

22 Nov 08

Clean & Jerk 1-1-1-1-1-1-1

CFWU

This was a new move for me so I started with some light warm up sets to work on my form. After feeling comfortable with it, I started going heavier. As I got heavier I noticed my form was suffering so I scaled back to 155 and my form improved. I have got to work on the dip and driving my hips under the bar.

After that it was 30 min of handstand work. Showing more improvement each day. now the endurance part needs work.
Old 11-23-2008, 05:54 AM   #9
Benjamin Ormond

Profile:

23 Nov 08

decided to take a much needed day off. I realized how important the off day is after day 3! I dont think I will be skipping that again for a while. My entire body aches and my calves are still screaming at me from the 5K. At this point I am doing goood to walk. LOL

However today's work out does look fun and demanding so we will start back up with that one tomorrow! On a good note after my first week of CF I am feeling better and leaner than ever, plus I found a new spot on my belt today that I had never seen before! YAY me!
Old 11-24-2008, 12:01 PM   #10
Benjamin Ormond

Profile:

24 Nov 08
Three rounds for time of:
21 Knees to elbows
1 1/2 pood Kettlebell swing, 21 reps
21 Push-ups
15 foot Rope climb, 3 ascents
20 inch Box jump, 21 reps
21 Back extension
Walking lunge, 150 ft

31:50 of pure torture
subbed towel pull ups and a 35lb DB, round 2&3 was a 25lb DB
I did pretty good with the knee to elbows but my biggest problem was my grip.

Later we did some more handstand development. Getting better eveyday. held several for 10+ seconds!

Crossfit is the best! I have never felt so good. Eveyday I feel better and leaner. I am constantly spreading the word!