CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-14-2006, 10:16 AM   #31
Randy Roper

Profile:
Rob,
Interesting point about glycogen concerns for cops during a struggle. Workouts can be planned and nutrition timed around them, getting into a fight for survival comes infrequently and suddenly, sometimes at the end of a shift when you are tired and probably starving. All the more reason to educate cops about gettting some fuel (other than coffee and the d-word) into their bodies every couple of hours. Of course if Glycogen fails you there is my favorite supplement that starts with 'G'...Glock
Old 09-14-2006, 11:03 AM   #32
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
Jesse, you are correct as the idea does come from a few places including the T-Dawg 2.0 (I think Paleo for Athletes goes this route too). (Of course T-Dawg 2.0 is promoting their own "Surge" drink.) But even if the PWO meal was 30-60min after workout and mostly complex carbs from food, isn't the muscle cell's sensitivity increased to maximumly replenish muscle glycogen after a day of carb restriction and exercise?

Personally I just feel better all day long without all the carbs..hence I do not do zone but more paleo w/ pwo carbs. But I do not have an active job so hard to say how this eating would affect those who need glycogen in life or death situations.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:43 PM   #33
Kevin McKay

Profile:
paleo fitness

kill large mamal = workout
eat it = PWO meal

haha :-)
Old 09-15-2006, 02:31 PM   #34
Jesse Woody

Profile:
Mike, I'm starting to feel the same way. Zone seems to have been a great transition to other things, as I've tried a couple of cyclic low-carb days over the past few weeks, and I realize how much the carb-load of the Zone seems to make me that slight bit groggy.

A quick question for Rob, what is the main difference between the Metabolic and the Anabolic diet? Would a 3-day low car, 1 day carb-load be more specific to harder workouts?

I'm beginning to lean more towards the absolute strength, power, and speed realm a bit, and I think this might be the diet that can fuel these efforts nicely...
Old 09-15-2006, 06:23 PM   #35
Kevin McKay

Profile:
Day five I have never had this little hunger in my life killing the carbs has killed the hunger it seems. Occasionally feel a little spacey and my temper is up need to watch it must be the saratonin drop. Did a quick 100 squats 100 pushup 100 lat pulls yesterday, muscles got tired fast hopefully that will pass.
Old 09-15-2006, 10:34 PM   #36
Kevin McKay

Profile:
Jesse, you can get a free abridged copy of the anabolic diet here.

http://www.metabolicdiet.com/promo/as_abr.htm

I bought the metabolic diet ebook, which looks pretty similar here are most of the hard numbers

MD guidelines: 5-6 meals/day, 20-50g of protein and 10-50g of fat at every meal

Carbohydrate Intake % Fat % Protein % Carbs
Weekday Maximum 30 Grams 40 - 60% 40 - 50% 4 - 10%
Weekend No Real Limit 20 - 40% 15 - 30% 35 - 60%
(36-48 Hour Carb Load) 130-150 grams carb weekends

Old 09-16-2006, 03:28 AM   #37
Jesse Woody

Profile:
Yeah, I have the Anabolic Diet E-book, which seems to be targeted specifically at bodybuilders, so I was wondering if the metabolic diet had any tweaks for other athletes.
Old 09-16-2006, 06:45 AM   #38
Kevin McKay

Profile:
Interesting stuff, is there any precedent for micro cycle carb diet where you eat 1 carb rich meal a day? Mike, what is the T-dawg thing?

In the metabolic diet Pasquale talks about saving the carbs for post workout.

Jesse,
I think I remember a post from rob saying he does a moderate md 3 on 1 off but can't find it. I am curios to se how he answers your question.

I think sears gives allot of latitude in carb consumption, I think it was mastering the zone that he talks about "tuning the metabolic carburetor" and dropping a block from meals as needed.

I am almost sure based on how I feel now that I was eating way to many carbs in the straight zone. I am not sure I will stick with the md 30 a day if it kills my wod times but I will continue for the 2 week assessment and maybe try the md as prescribed for a month.

I will defiantly be doing something close or a much lower carb zone if I have issues with the cycling. Thanks Rob for bringing this topic up.

I get the feeling this or some permutation will be the "zone 2.0" as well.

I am seriously also considering dropping all fruit and trying to do all veg or at least 90%. You guys got any thoughts on this.

After looking at all the data low carb seems way ore natural and way less fad.

Exiting stuff but better stop rambling.
Old 09-16-2006, 06:49 AM   #39
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Jesse-
AD is all you need. That with the flow chart linked above.

Kevin-
You may want to time high volume work AFTER a carb-up. If you are really adhering to the lower carb levels you simply do not have adequate glycogen to hammer through a classic CF WOD. High tension, moderate rest period strenght training is perfect for your flatter days. Thins ME-Black box.
Old 09-16-2006, 07:19 AM   #40
Kevin McKay

Profile:
Rob,

I feel pretty darn good doing the 30 a day, I guess I am as good a fat oxidizer as i am a bad carb utilizer. My question is this. I have this to good and easy to be true feeling. is 30 a day over the top and excessively to little carbs for general health or do you think if I am responding to it well it is fine?

Thanks