CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-27-2006, 01:03 PM   #111
Kevin McKay

Profile:
Ok I converted the metabolic diet 2000 calorie needs based on the ad book into blocks so it would be easier to do. Here it is for those interested. Let me know if you find any errors in my math I am a little spacey right now :-) I am on day 17 right now in adaptation purgatory :-(

Weekday
2000 cals.

33%P
2000x .35 = 700 cals = 175g P = 25 blk

5%C
2000 x .05 = 100 cals = 25g C = 2.7 blk

55%F
2000 x .60 = 1200 cals = 133g F = 88 blk

Weekends

12%P
2000x .12 = 240 cals = 60g p = 8.5 blk

50%c
2000x .50 = 1000 cals = 250g c = 27 blk

35%Fat
2000x .38 = 760 cals = 84g f = 56 blk
Old 09-27-2006, 01:36 PM   #112
Jonathon Edward

Profile:
Mike - The MD (formerly Anabolic Diet) was initially developed as alternative to steroids for gaining large amounts of LBM while minimizing fat gain - hence the name. The diet turned out to be just as, if not more, effective for losing body fat while maintaining (and in many cases gaining) LBM.

Kathryn - That depends on what type of workouts you're currently doing. CrossFit MetCon type stuff would definitely be out; however, low volume high intensity training (think powerlifting or ME black box) would be a go. Honestly, if your main training program is the standarad CF 3/1 schedule, this probably is not the right nutrition plan for you. It would require a great deal of tweaking in order to accomodate MetCon-type workouts on a regular basis.

Kevin - Your ratios look good. In time you'll probably find that you can tolerate a larger amount of calories and carbs during the carb-up. Listen to your body and play around with it. Day 17?
Old 09-27-2006, 02:32 PM   #113
Kevin McKay

Profile:
Yeah I started the 11th felt great till the fist carb up "last weekend"
Old 09-28-2006, 03:27 AM   #114
Kathryn Steen

Profile:
i am on my 4th day of induction purgatory as kevin calls it. yesterday one of my friends wanted to workout. he is a lifeguard, not a cf'er, so we went running and swimming.
my main training is the CF WOD. i also walk (or run) my dog, and do BJJ a few times/week.
my main goals though are similar to Jesse's. i want a 2xBW DL, a minimum of 20 pull ups (somewhere bw 11 and 14 now), and some gymnastic stuff (mu's, looong l-sits, a planch of some kind). i would like to be able to do Elizabeth and Diane and maybe even Linda as rx'ed. got Fran already!
i did Dan John's One Lift program last winter and was beginning to play with it again recently in pursuit of these goals when i saw this thread and thought it might help.
sorry 'bout the long post. didn't mean to hijack. thanks again for the great thread. even if this turns out to not be the diet for me, i've learned a ton from all of you!
Old 09-28-2006, 05:37 AM   #115
Jeremy Bloniasz

Profile:
Let me bounce this off you guys.

If I'm doing a 5/2 split, Monday through Friday, weekends active rest with Mon,Wed,Fri as CF Metcons and Tues,Thurs as ME days with fight classes 2 nights a week and sometimes saturday's.

Question:

Will the Metabolic Diet be enough to sustain energy levels to do all this?

Thanks
Jeremy
Old 09-28-2006, 05:49 AM   #116
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
I am guessing no....but only one good way to find out!

You may have to adjust carb levels to your energy needs.
Old 09-28-2006, 05:58 AM   #117
Jeremy Bloniasz

Profile:
Might as well jump in.

Thanks
Jeremy
Old 09-28-2006, 08:15 AM   #118
Jesse Woody

Profile:
Jeremy, part of the deal with the MD is that you can tweak your intake to suit your energy needs. According the Dr. DiPasquale, once you convert to fat-burning as your preferential energy source your endurance in general should be better. Now, there are certain activities that will be fueled by the glycolitic pathway (Crossfit WOD's apparently being one of them) and for that you will need SOME carbs. For some poeople, the weekend carb-up might be enough...for others, they will have to increase their carb intake gradually to find the point where they have the most energy throughout the day while still being able to perform as-needed in their workouts. I think Rob posted the flow-chart earlier in this thread for this info.

Now, I personally haven't noticed a huge difference with the low carb levels. I have been able to keep up some pretty good performance on high-rep met-con efforts that I have tried over the last two weeks, and this is without the benefit of any sort of carb-up yet (this weekend will be my first). I'm not sure if this is a product of some latent muscle-glycogen, or if I'm just one of those lucky people who can burn fat very efficiently. The take-home point is that you can monitor your progress and adjust accordingly while still keeping the benefits of becoming more fat-adapted.
Old 09-28-2006, 04:09 PM   #119
Kevin McKay

Profile:
I think I am finally adapted, started eating just green veggies for carbs to stay way under 30. I am considering putting the carb up off for a couple of days to make sure it sticks or maybe just doing a shorter window. Anybody have any experience with this? I defiantly do not want to slip back into fuel limbo it just sucks.
Old 09-28-2006, 04:51 PM   #120
Jesse Woody

Profile:
He specifically talks about shortening the total carb-up to the period of time that you can eat carbs without feeling like crap. Much like the rest of the diet, it's all about tweaking as necessary once you get it dialed in. Perhaps adjust the composition of your carbs and see how that works, and if that doesn't make a big-enough difference after one or two more, then tweak the duration a bit.