CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-25-2006, 11:35 AM   #91
Jonathon Edward

Profile:
Happy to help. A few more thoughts:

1.) See my suggestion to Kevin above - during the carb up, it preferable for your carbs to come mainly from starches vs. fruit for various reasons.

2.) The ice cream probably did not help. One of the biggest problems with MD-style diets is that people have a tendency to eat things on the carb up, that they otherwise would not consume, and justify it. Contrary to Mauro's advice in the MD book, you cannot eat pizza and ice cream on your carb up days and expect to make progress. He was trying to sell his diet when he made those comments!

3.) The 3 on/1 off schedule is acceptable AFTER the metabolic shift. Whether your doing 5/2, 3/1, etc., you still need to make the metabolic shift in order for the diet to work properly. This entails roughly 7-12 days at the 30g CHO level in order for your body to adapt to burning fat as its main fuel. The fact that you only went 3 days before carbing up was undoubtedly a contributing factor to how you felt.

4.) Based on personal experience, IF always seemed to give me trouble sleeping. Even if I was low carbing - if I cut my food intake off early in the day, I was too restless to sleep at night. In order to make it work I had to wait till later in the day to eat (after noon) and compress all of my meals from that point till bed. That way I still wound up with an extended period of daily fasting without disrupting my sleep.
Old 09-25-2006, 12:11 PM   #92
Kathryn Steen

Profile:
sounds good. i had never gone so low with carbs before, but after hearing people rave, i was interested to see how my body would react. your suggestions will be very helpful as continue working with this.
how many hours do you IF? does eating later in the day like you suggest keep you from waking up hungry in the morning? a later eating schedule would work great for me in terms of pwo fuel (afternoon workouts/evening BJJ). one of the hardest things about the IFs i've done before is waiting several hours to eat after i get up in the morning. thanks again!
Old 09-25-2006, 02:44 PM   #93
Kevin McKay

Profile:
Maybe some turkey rich in Tryptophan would help with the sleeping as well?
Old 09-26-2006, 04:52 AM   #94
Jonathon Edward

Profile:
Kathryn -

I use IF on an intermittent basis, so there's really no average. Generally, I will go without food for 16-18 hours and compress my food intake into a 6-8 hour window.

Given your workout schedule, there's no doubt that shifting your fasting from evening to morning would have a positive impact on your performance. Eating your meals later in the day really does help with the hunger in the morning. Also, as you become "fat adapted" you'll find that you can go for longer periods of time without getting hungry, and your hunger will be much less severe. I believe this is due to your body becoming more efficient at processing body fat (a massive supply of fuel).

Kevin - As far as I know, the turkey trick only works if you also have carbs in the meal to allow the tryptophan to pass the blood-brain barrier. I've never been tired after eating turkey in the context of a low carb meal. YMMV.
Old 09-26-2006, 08:15 AM   #95
Joshua Murphy

Profile:
First off, great thread!!

Quick question for the group - would you recommend going from Zone-ish to strict Zone, for a few months then trying the MD/AD approach?

Or should I just switch now to the MD/AD? It seems like (at least in this thread) that you should have a firm grasp of the Zone before trying the other approaches. Or is it that using the Zone blocks makes it easier to adapt to the other approaches.

Thanks!
Old 09-26-2006, 08:23 AM   #96
Jesse Woody

Profile:
I would definitely dial in the Zone first, as it is the easiest way I've found to gain a good grasp of exactly what you're eating. Once you have it dialed, it becomes super easy to keep track of your intake. From that point, you can begin to implement Rob's plan, where you delete carb blocks and add 3 blocks of fat for each block of carbs that you get rid of. If you feel like jumping right in, that will probably work better after moving from high carb to the moderate carb level of the Zone. So far I haven't had any trouble.
Old 09-26-2006, 04:50 PM   #97
Kevin McKay

Profile:
Hey Jesse, I am going to start using paleo food guidelines and do a moderate md <50. I think you had mentioned you where going to do that or something similar how is it working for you? Rob I get the feeling that is what you do with a mid week spike?

Old 09-26-2006, 05:05 PM   #98
Jesse Woody

Profile:
At the moment, I'm sticking to the strict 30g or less per day and doing great. Once I go through one or two carb-loads, I will start to experiment with a bit higher carb intake to make sure I'm getting enough veggies. As it is, I'm still eating a good portion of spinach and brocolli at two or three meals, because it really takes so much of those to equal any appreciable carbs. I think that is where most people coming from a bad nutritional background end up having trouble, is that they go through the entire day with nothing but meat and fat, then save their carbs for a scoop of ice cream in the evening...it might fit the guidelines, but it's definitely not the quickest route to health and longevity!

My first carb-load will be this weekend, and I'll be focusing on a lot of fall/winter fare; pumpkins, sweet potatoes, acorn squash, etc. I'll probably throw down a good number of grapes because they're easy to tote around and they have a pretty good glucose/fructose ratio. I'm interested to see how it turns out. My plan is to keep my total carb-intake around 25-30 blocks total per day, which combined with the fact that it will be mostly paleo, will hopefully help me avoid the huge crash and resultant hangover that seems to be a side-effect of overdoing it.
Old 09-26-2006, 05:10 PM   #99
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
Jesse,

How has your body stats changed during the MD plan of <30g carbs per day? Lost body fat %? Gained muscle? All about the same?
Old 09-26-2006, 06:32 PM   #100
Jonathon Edward

Profile:
There's a massive thread over at T-Nation dedicated to the AD/MD:
http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=658379&pageNo=0
Tons of really solid info. Around 140 pages of posts or so! Needless to say I've just been browsing here and there!