CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 05-07-2010, 12:49 PM   #1
Lee Hill

Profile:
Which practitioner for me - advice needed please...

Question: I want to know which type of professional would be best suited to help me - Physio, sports massage, chiropractor, osteopath etc.

Injury: Thorassic issues - told from t6 to t12, it goes out to my right, get pain in left front and side delt going into trap.

Treatments:

1: Mainly treated over last 18 months by a Physio/tui na practitioner. He puts it back in, works or cups my shoulder and occasionally pecs, tells me thorassic issue is pulling at my left scapulature (spelling/name?) and this is why I get the delt pain. He also says I have disproportionately over-developed lats and my rhomboids need developing to prevent this re-occuring. Tells me to apply heat once treated.

I do this, do more rowing and close grip pulling - SDHP, swings, towel and ring pull ups. The bloody thing goes out again after about 2-4 weeks, normally when I go heavy either squatting or overhead, despite having form watched by my level 2 coaches. I feel frustrated and go back to him a couple of weeks after that.

2: A sports massage lady who trains at our box said the same thing about my lats/rhomboids but didn't really make it any better, although she loosened off my pecs as she said they were tight and pulling my shoulders forward, not helping the situation.

3: I saw a regular physio about something else recently, and mentioned this issue. They contested the rhomboid/lat development thing, suggested some kind of rear delt/funny little muscles in outer back/shoulder work.

Conclusion:
I'm fed up of it now. About to foam roll area this evening, again. Do I keep seeing the tui na fella, or would another form of practitioner give me a better treatment/remedy.

All suggestions gratefully received.
Old 05-07-2010, 06:31 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Which practitioner for me - advice needed please...

Do your LYTPs: wfs

http://davedraper.com/blog/2009/07/2...-become-lytps/

Add to or start doing these if you haven't already (only if they don't hurt) wfs

Start doing these things:

1. Posterior capsule stretch, sleeper stretch, external rotation stretch

2. Lats stretch, pec stretch, pec minor massage. Can use basketball or other ball and lie on top of it for pec rolling.

3. Deep tissue massage all around the scapula; anterior, lateral and posterior shoulder; coracobrachialis, biceps brachii, and brachialis.

4. Nerve glides (google first link)

5. Band dislocates and wall slides

6. Foam roll thoracic spine (put 45s on your chest for deeper stretch). Also, roll side to side as you are rolling and try to arch your back

Do lots more horizontal pulling. Ring rows are good. More lat stretching.

Sounds like possible posture issue as well.

Stop doing exercises that aggravate it. If you can't do squatting/overhead work then so be it for now. You're only making things worse by reaggravating your injuries.
Old 05-08-2010, 01:12 AM   #3
Lee Hill

Profile:

Fantastic advice Steven, thank you I was hoping you'd weigh in with your opinion.

Would I (in your none professional advice capacity) be best starting out doing each of these, if no pain, for say 10 seconds then building up little sets? - stretch timings and reps of things like LYTPs?

Will get a deep tissue massage on the whole area this week.

Thanks again
Old 05-08-2010, 09:51 AM   #4
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Hill View Post
Fantastic advice Steven, thank you I was hoping you'd weigh in with your opinion.

Would I (in your none professional advice capacity) be best starting out doing each of these, if no pain, for say 10 seconds then building up little sets? - stretch timings and reps of things like LYTPs?

Will get a deep tissue massage on the whole area this week.

Thanks again
If they don't hurt... 3-5 sets for 20-30s each.

Figure out which ones help the most (aka what makes it feel better afterwards or movement-wise), and prioritize those if you don't have enough time to do that.

Exercises like LYTPs you want to use a weight you can do for 15-20 reps, and do 2-3 sets.