CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 05-08-2006, 08:55 PM   #1
jonathan edwards

Profile:  
Hello everyone I was just seeing if anyone can help me with a problem I have been having. For about the last week whenever I am doing dips I get an intense and local pain in my right collar bone and the muscle around it. However it is not my deltoids and when doing pull ups I am fine. Is there any way I can be doing dips in a manner that is hurting me? Any help would be appreciated. thanks
Old 05-09-2006, 08:41 AM   #2
Roger Harrell

Profile:
Is it above or below the collar bone? Meaning does it travel up your neck at all, or more deep underneath toward your chest?
Old 05-09-2006, 09:44 AM   #3
jonathan edwards

Profile:  
The pain is towards my chest. Today when I was doing the wod I also noticed some pain when doing pushups in the same place. It hurts right in the middle of my collar bone when I press on it, however there is no pain in my neck.
Old 05-09-2006, 12:05 PM   #4
Roger Harrell

Profile:
Might be an attachment point thing. Do you recall any sudden trauma to the area? Getting hit, falling, etc?

Anyway best course of action is to work the area without overly irritating it. Work dips, but not if it's increasing the pain. Mild pain while doing it is fine.
Old 05-09-2006, 02:42 PM   #5
jonathan edwards

Profile:  
I just noticed that there is some pain on the right side of my neck now that I have completed the wod. does this mean anything different or should I still just take it easy.
Old 05-09-2006, 03:49 PM   #6
Roger Harrell

Profile:
Doesn't really indicate anything different, I was just trying to get an idea of what it could be. Definitely a "listen to your body" recommendation and train around the injury. My guess is that this should go away pretty quickly if you don't keep straining it. I don't think it's the dips per se that are causing the problem, you probably just did something that strained it and you feel it on dips. Unless you're doing something really odd on your dips :-)
Old 05-10-2006, 10:21 PM   #7
Jason Erickson

Profile:
It may be the subclavicular muscle. It is small and located where you are describing the discomfort. It's difficult to properly treat yourself. I recommend seeing a good massage therapist.
Old 05-12-2006, 11:03 AM   #8
Dan Strametz

Profile:
Jon, I have broken my collarbone, and dips seem to bother me. There is not any real pain, it just lets me know when I over do it.
Old 05-12-2006, 07:55 PM   #9
Kenneth R Davis

Profile:
Jon,
FYI, I developed a stress fracture in the left collar bone, and it also started with dips. I had been trying to get to 30 dips and was doing them every day. The pain was worse with heaving a Kettlebell. If you are developing a stress fracture in your clavicle: STOP THE DIPS or whatever else makes it hurt. It has taken me 6 weeks of healing and only now starting to do pushups again. Had I stopped when it first started hurting, perhaps two weeks is all it would have taken.

Diagnosing a stress fracture can be tricky. Signs of a fracture include point tenderness, tenderness on top of the clavicle, where no muscles attach. Extreme pain or even inabilty to put on a pullover shirt or tee shirt, and eventually a lump (new bone formation) over the fracture sight.

A strained pec major can mimic a stress fracture, but has a broad insertion on the clavicle, and usually isn't as painful as a fracture.
Old 05-18-2006, 08:49 PM   #10
Mark Brinton

Profile:
Jon,

I'll second Kenneth's comments. For me, I get this clicking sound when doing push-ups with my elbows flared too far out. I, too, am close to the point of concluding that something proximate to my left clavicle & shoulder "is not right". I'm thinking AC joint but maybe, as Kenneth said, its a stress fracture. I'm off to the doctor (again) tomorrow.