CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-20-2006, 11:24 AM   #1
Patrick Schoudt jr

Profile:
hello
For the last few weeks ive added some lifting to my routine. I was doin a cf workout once a week and doin a 5 by 5 the other 2 days a week. With the lifts i was doin squat deadlifts and bench then an assistance exercise. But i've noticed that i feel slower on the mats. My question is this. If i only did the 5 by5 once a week and cf twice a week would i more than likely get stronger at faster pace and poss. add a few pounds than cf alone? my goal is to add get some strength and possibly size. I feel happy with my conditioning thus far i'm just lacking power.
thanks in advance,
Old 09-20-2006, 02:37 PM   #2
William Winger

Profile:
We'll need to know a bit more, especially your age and other time commitments. Three times a week isn't enough for a 20-year old college student with lots of time (like me), but is more appropriate for a person with a full time job or family.

If you want to gain muscle mass/ performance, and can afford it timewise, bump your frequency up. Most CFitters do 3 on-1 off, and most of those who don't seem to like 5 days on, 2 days off per week (since it's easier to schedule).

As far as lifting vs. CFit goes... I'm all for Cfit, though I'm a bit slow on phasing out the lifting I've grown accustomed to. Long run, Cfit is healthier, if not quite as muscle-buildy.

You may also consider a search for 'black-box' on these boards.
Old 09-20-2006, 04:57 PM   #3
Patrick Schoudt jr

Profile:
Thanks William
Yeah i definately cant bump up frequency,family and job plus i do bjj. That why i was curious if i should even bother adding a day of lifting since i can add only one day.
Old 09-22-2006, 09:08 AM   #4
Elliot Royce

Profile:
I don't have the references right in front of me but, as I recall, a number of experts I've read indicate that intense lifting once a week is all you need for development. I think the key is to choose a couple of lifts and do them as intensively as possible. The Super Squats approach of 20 squats done with your 10 rep max captures the idea.

I've been looking at my journal and I only get around to deadlifts about every 10 days but I'm pushing it when I do them (5 x 5) and making progress.

Perhaps I'll run into a wall but unless you've already been lifting to the max, I suspect 2-3 lifts once a week done intensively would be helpful.
Old 09-22-2006, 09:24 AM   #5
Daniel Foster

Profile:
Patrick do a search on this site for Me Black box. a couple guys on here at great success with subing an maxium lift day instead of a Wod
Old 09-22-2006, 09:25 AM   #6
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:
Being slower on the mats could mean you're just working above your current work capacity. Two days of 5x5, WOD, and BJJ (2-3x/week?) is a lot of work. Maybe scale back on your volume with the 5x5.

A few options would be

1) drop the assistance work.

2) If that doesn't help, break apart your lifts. For example, day 1 = squat+bench, day 2 = deadlift+overhead.

3) If that doesn't help, change your rep scheme (and therefore your intensity). Maybe on day 1 you do ME for squat, but high reps for bench. Day do you do ME overhead, but high singles for deadlift (at 50% of max). Then rotate the lifts the following week so you do ME Bench day 1, and ME deadlift day 2.

That way you're only focusing on one lift, but still getting a chance to practise form on the other stuff.

Keep in mind I mentioned those 4 lifts because it's pretty close to what I currently use and I really like it. But you could apply a similar approach toward something that is more suitable for your specific situation.
Old 09-23-2006, 04:31 AM   #7
Patrick Schoudt jr

Profile:
Thanks everyone you definately gave me what i was looking for. I also have to go by how i'm feeling a lot bc i work 12 hour night shifts, so my sleep/recovery is sometimes limited and therefore varies a great deal. When i feel run down i either skip the conditioning and focus on bjj or just take a week off and only roll half tilt at bjj.
Thanks again much appreciated
Old 09-25-2006, 01:40 AM   #8
Ralph Coates

Profile:
dunno if I'll add anything of use here, but further to what Anthony said, you may want to think about periodising your main training 'focus'; eg if you chief current concern is to increase your strength, then work hard on the 5x5 days but take the cf day a bit easier, and if possible try to focus on low intensity, technical work with the BJJ. Once you have increased your strength levels you may wish to then cut back to maintenance mode with this, and up the ante with the cf workout and the BJJ.

One 'problem' I found when training for BJJ and thai boxing a few years back, is that they require such a broad range of physical abilities, (strength, power, endurance etc etc) that it was confusing trying to fit everything in. The result was that I often tried to layer programmes on top of each other, in a bid to improve everything at once. I think if I had my time again at those sports I would try for the approach mentioned above - focusing on improving weaknesses, 1 at a time while maintaining the rest.

Another quick point - if you increase the volume of your strength and conditioning workouts you may have to accept a decrease in mat performance in the short term. It's like a powerlifter seeking to increase his GPP levels - he may get weaker in the short term while his body adjusts, but longer term this will enable him to train more effectively.

Apologies if this is stating the obvious.
Old 09-27-2006, 04:54 AM   #9
Patrick Schoudt jr

Profile:
Thanks Ralph
What I'm goin to do is just one day of 5 by5 and try to get my lifts up slowly and consistantly. I'll the try to hit the crossfits with a decent intensity and just deal with however I feel on the mat. I'll let everone know whay happens.
Thanks