CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 11-15-2012, 02:16 PM   #1
Paulo Santos

Profile:
Paleo with Carb Back-Loading Principals

I hope you guys don't mind me starting this thread. I recently stumbled upon a Carb Back-Loading thread on another forum and I started doing some research on it and bought the eBook. I've always thought that gaining muscle and leaning out at the same time was imposible, so hearing the claims that it is possible, has me interested in trying it out for a month or two. My goal is to get strong and to lean out some more. Here are my starting stats:

Height: 5'7" tall (I doubt this will change any, unfortunately. LOL).
Weight: 155#
BF: 14.8%
Bench Press: 195#
Press: 115#
Squat: 305#
Deadlift: 335#

For anyone that has never heard of Carb Back-Loading, the idea is to shift your carbs to dinner. If you workout in the afternoon, which is the ideal time, you Carb Back-Load after your workout. If you workout in the morning, you Carb Back-Load the night before. Note: Carb Back-Loading is designed to work with a strength program and it isn't ideal with a pure CrossFit type of programming. Kiefer is supposed to be coming out with something that works with CrossFit.

Anyway, I'm going to try this out for a month or two. I already started about a week ago and so far, I'm liking it. Here is my schedule:

I workout in the morning:
Day 1: ME Upper (Carb Back-Load the night before)
Day 2: ME Lower (Carb Back-Load the night before)
Day 3: Cardio
Day 4: Rest (Carb Back-Load the night before)
Day 5: DE Upper (Carb Back-Load the night before)
Day 6: DE Lower (Carb Back-Load the night before)
Day 7: Cardio
Day 8: Rest (Carb Back-Load the night before)

Sample Day:
Per-Workout: 5AM
Caffeine Pill

Workout: 5:45AM

Post Workout: 730AM
1 Scoop of Nitrean + Vanilla Whey Protein and creatine in water or almond milk.
Large iced coffee with cream.

Morning snack/breakfast: 10AM
2 Hard boiled eggs
Mixed Nuts

Lunch: 12:30PM
Piece of meat
Vegetables

Afternoon Snack: 3PM
2 Hard boiled eggs
Mixed nuts

Dinner: 7PM
Piece of meat
Vegetables
(If I am back-loading, I will have a lot of Sweet Potatoes or Bananas).

There are a lot of things that you can use to back-load, but the Sweet Potatoes and Bananas are the only two that I can think of that are Paleo Approved. If anyone is interested in Carb Back-Loading, I recommend buying the eBook. There is a ton of info in the eBook. There are a lot of carbs out there that won't work with Carb Back-Loading because you are looking for a certain response, which you only get from certain foods.

If anyone has done this or is currently doing this, please feel free post your thought, comments, results here.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:43 AM   #2
Michelle Stafford

Profile:
Re: Paleo with Carb Back-Loading Principals

Paulo,

Keep us updated on your progress and results, I will be interested to see if it is indeed possibly to lean out and gain strength at the same time,

Good luck

-M
Old 11-16-2012, 07:09 AM   #3
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Thanks Michelle.

Last night I Carb Back-Loaded with 3 bananas just before I went to bed and I woke up and my stomach was feeling flatter. Today is my rest day. I'll see if I can have some sweet potatoes tonight or I'll just have bananas again.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:16 PM   #4
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

not sure why you have always thought it was impossible to lean out and gain muscle at same time since many people have always said otherwise, but yes, it is possible and there are many ways to do it. this way may be a good one. hopefully it works for you. keep us posted.
Old 11-17-2012, 12:01 AM   #5
Joseph Smyth

Profile:

I too have thought about trying CBLmwith a paleo approach, but two problems seem to stick out:

1) the backload often requires several hundrend grams of carbs, which is just really hard to reach with the few high carb foods paleo allows (which on the grand scale, are not very high carb)
2) Kiefer advocates for use of high glycemic index carbs for the most effective backload, which are, again, hard to come by on paleo.

Kiefer has said publicly that the cleanest food to back with is white rice, do even though you might not be able to stay strict paleo, a CBL program of whole healthy foods seems reasonable.
Old 11-17-2012, 05:20 AM   #6
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Smyth View Post
I too have thought about trying CBLmwith a paleo approach, but two problems seem to stick out:

1) the backload often requires several hundrend grams of carbs, which is just really hard to reach with the few high carb foods paleo allows (which on the grand scale, are not very high carb)
2) Kiefer advocates for use of high glycemic index carbs for the most effective backload, which are, again, hard to come by on paleo.

Kiefer has said publicly that the cleanest food to back with is white rice, do even though you might not be able to stay strict paleo, a CBL program of whole healthy foods seems reasonable.
I think his recommended carb amount is a little too high. I'm having a hard time going over 150 GR at night, so I'm doing the best I can. I'm sticking with bananas, sweet potatoes, and grapes.

Last night for dinner I had Pork Loin with mushrooms and 3 sweet potatoes. I thought I was going to throw up. Couldn't finish all of the last one. Then before bed I had a boat load of grapes and some bananas. I woke up feeling good.
Old 11-17-2012, 07:17 AM   #7
Jo Hsu

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Santos View Post
I think his recommended carb amount is a little too high. I'm having a hard time going over 150 GR at night, so I'm doing the best I can. I'm sticking with bananas, sweet potatoes, and grapes.

Last night for dinner I had Pork Loin with mushrooms and 3 sweet potatoes. I thought I was going to throw up. Couldn't finish all of the last one. Then before bed I had a boat load of grapes and some bananas. I woke up feeling good.
I'm not an expert, but I kind of question the wisdom of adopting a nutrition plan that makes you feel as if you're going to throw up. I read the carb backloading book a while back and I seem to remember that it hinged off the "poor" quality of the carbs-- the magic was in the fact that you were eating all the high-glycemic junk that paleo tries to keep out. Is it possible that you're trying to combine two incongruous approaches to nutrition and reducing the effectiveness of either? Just a thought...
Old 11-17-2012, 09:32 AM   #8
Joseph Smyth

Profile:

I can see the 300 grams + range definitely being a lot for many people. Just a caution though, I seem to recall Kiefer also saying something about staying away from fructose on CBL.

http://www.dangerouslyhardcore.com/2...-back-loading/
Old 11-17-2012, 01:58 PM   #9
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo Hsu View Post
I'm not an expert, but I kind of question the wisdom of adopting a nutrition plan that makes you feel as if you're going to throw up. I read the carb backloading book a while back and I seem to remember that it hinged off the "poor" quality of the carbs-- the magic was in the fact that you were eating all the high-glycemic junk that paleo tries to keep out. Is it possible that you're trying to combine two incongruous approaches to nutrition and reducing the effectiveness of either? Just a thought...
Initially, he used to be big on eating just about anything, but he has recently softened his stance on it and prefers eating cleaner carbs. He's also a fan of Paleo.

I've learned that if I split the carbs between diner and before I go to bed, it isn't too bad. I'm still in the learning phase, but I'm getting better.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:00 PM   #10
Jo Hsu

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Santos View Post
Initially, he used to be big on eating just about anything, but he has recently softened his stance on it and prefers eating cleaner carbs. He's also a fan of Paleo.

I've learned that if I split the carbs between diner and before I go to bed, it isn't too bad. I'm still in the learning phase, but I'm getting better.
Good to know! I'm glad it's getting better. Keep us updated on how it works for you