CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-04-2010, 03:10 PM   #21
Justin McCallon

Profile:
Re: Protein powder recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Cloutier View Post
A blend is not better in the case that OP mentioned...which is PWO...you want SPEED which means ISOLATE.
This is the view from awhile a few years back. There was a study done showing a blend is much more effective PWO. You need a little casein to blunt catabolism. The blend will still have whey....

Also, isolate is like the not-really-opposite of concentrate. Isolate costs a lot more without any difference. I am pretty sure ON's 100% whey is a concentrate and not isolate. Both are only whey tho, wheras blends like Nitrean ans Matrix have casein/egg along with whey. Right?

Also, if you look at the OP's question, I highly doubt he knew the difference between blend/isolate/concentrate,

Last edited by Justin McCallon : 04-04-2010 at 03:14 PM.
Old 04-04-2010, 07:46 PM   #22
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
A blend is not better in the case that OP mentioned...which is PWO...you want SPEED which means ISOLATE.
Isolate is whey, any form of whey will absorb with similar speed. As the other fellow mentioned, you want speed but you also want a blunting of catabolism and a longer release (not to mention net retention).

These are the facts. Don't be confused by what the muscle mags and supp companies have crammed down people's throats for years.
Old 04-04-2010, 08:15 PM   #23
Justin McCallon

Profile:

As far as net retention, does that mean your body just doesn't process it, or that you store it as glucose and then (maybe) fat?

If it's the former, does that mean calories in does not equal calories out, exactly? And do fats/carbs do this as well?
Old 04-05-2010, 06:59 AM   #24
Drew Cloutier

Profile:

a Whey Blend...is exactly that a blend of whey...there's no casein in it...so I really don't know how you're mention of casein has anything to do with whey blends.

As to the longer release, that depends on your eating strategy...mine as told to me by my trainer (not some globo-******) is to get the carbs+protein back in you ASAP after training...and to eat solid meal bout an hour after that PWO shake...hence I don't particularly need this longer release...as I WANT it to go into my system fast.

Last edited by Drew Cloutier : 04-05-2010 at 07:03 AM.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:02 AM   #25
Justin McCallon

Profile:

...because you shouldn't just get a whey blend for PWO recovery. I believe a "whey blend" is termed "whey concentrate," whereas a specific type of whey is "whey isolate." Whey concentrate costs something like 60% of whey isolate, and there is no difference. It's like paying extra for micellular (or whatever the hell it's called) casein vs. normal casein.

Regardless, a blend of proteins (casein, egg, whey) is ideal post WO.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:07 AM   #26
Wayne Riddle

Profile:

Quote:
a Whey Blend...is exactly that a blend of whey...there's no casein in it...so I really don't know how you're mention of casein has anything to do with whey blends.
They are talking protein blends, not just whey blends.
Old 04-05-2010, 03:28 PM   #27
Chris J Mason

Profile:

Drew, you don't seem to be comprehending what is being presented to you. Perhaps I am being unclear? If so, my apologies.

Whey protein is absorbed quickly. Consuming whey and casein does not blunt the speed of absorption of whey.

One of the results to protein metabolism after training is that catabolism (protein breakdown) is speeded up. This is a negative relative to recovery. Whey protein does almost nothing to mitigate it. Casein DOES help to blunt catabolism. So, if you consume whey AND casein after training you will get all of the positive benefits of whey PLUS the anti-catabolic effect of casein for a superior net nitrogen balance. There are other benefits, but these are just a few.

I am sure your trainer is a great guy, but the fact he is unaware of this does not surprise me.
Old 04-05-2010, 03:30 PM   #28
Chris J Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin McCallon View Post
...because you shouldn't just get a whey blend for PWO recovery. I believe a "whey blend" is termed "whey concentrate," whereas a specific type of whey is "whey isolate." Whey concentrate costs something like 60% of whey isolate, and there is no difference. It's like paying extra for micellular (or whatever the hell it's called) casein vs. normal casein.

Regardless, a blend of proteins (casein, egg, whey) is ideal post WO.
No, concentrate is a specific type of whey just as is isolate. Concentrate is much cheaper and has a lower percentage of protein by weight. Each type also offers specific benefits so consuming both is a good idea.
Old 04-05-2010, 03:56 PM   #29
Justin McCallon

Profile:

Do any legitimate studies show a statistically significant difference in the effects of an isolate vs. a concentrate?

I just can't imagine dishing out the extra money. I have trouble believing it makes a noticeable difference.

Last edited by Justin McCallon : 04-05-2010 at 04:03 PM.
Old 04-05-2010, 04:41 PM   #30
Thomas Baker

Profile:

Guys, random question. I've seen Jay Robb's protein be recommended on here, the whey protein isolate that's sweetened with Stevia. I noticed lecithin (soy) as an ingredient - should we be concerned about this?