CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 04-18-2007, 07:28 AM   #1
Neil Khant

Profile:
How to quit smoking

My brother is trying to quit.

Any suggestions?

I was never a smoker so I can give no advice.

Any good suggestions?

I want to see him succeed.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Old 04-18-2007, 08:39 AM   #2
Kevin Burns

Profile:
have him try some tabata sprints. that should give him some incentive.
Old 04-18-2007, 08:45 AM   #3
Joshua Newman

Profile:
My father is a lung doctor. He tells me that his patients have greater luck with nicotine inhalers than anything else. They require a prescription, but sound like they might be worth it, as they substitute for both the chemical *and* behavioral addictions.
Old 04-18-2007, 08:54 AM   #4
Vic Blanchard

Profile:
I quit smoking about 4 years ago. I had only smoked for 2 1/2 years so this advice may not work for someone who has been addicted for much longer.

The method I used was to limit my intake by time. To start, every 2 hours I would have a ciggarret. After some time I moved it to every 3 hours and etc. Cutting back this way seemed to help a lot, although at times it is pretty bad!

The only problem with this method is that it seems to be cumulative. When I would first wake up I could go for a couple hours without a smoke with no problem. By seven pm, the two hours seemed like a year!

Good luck for your brother.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:05 AM   #5
James Carroll

Profile:
after 25 + yrs of smoking, i can say that i have been off nicotine for about 18 mos. I do not have the crave nor the desire to smoke anymore. how did i do it? cold turkey, the best way to do it. nicotine is an addictive drug, with withdrawl symptoms greater than heroin. (this is actual scientific fact)
nicotine "replacement" devices, gums patches, etc, are putting the drug into your system, the same drug you are trying to kick. the first 3 days are the suck for sure, as this is the nicotine leaving your system. the next few mos its all psychological, thats the really hard part.
here is a work safe website that tells convincing tales as to what smoking can do to you:
www.whyquit.com be warned this is a heartbreaking site, but the message is strong. have your brother go there and visit with brian. it helped convinced me.
he should also expect to be really irritated for the first couple of weeks and everyone should know that.

here is a support group that is also a tremendous help
http://www.smokeawaysupport.com/
Old 04-18-2007, 09:33 AM   #6
Graham Tidey

Profile:
I'm a certified Nuero Linguistic Programming therapist.

Say that fast.

By using NLP I have cured smoking addictions in an intensive 4 hour session, with 4 more hours of "top ups". Then, 8 hours later, no more smoking. It works on the principal of making the cigarette, or smoke, whatever appeals to you, absoloutely disgusting. The odd cigarrette might still occur. If it does, go back to the therapist. It's not hypnosis per sei, as you are always fully awake, but it is certainly powerful.

Check out NLP therapists.

Alternatively try hypnosis. Both my parents are hypnotists and I can verify that it certainly does work.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:35 AM   #7
James Hull

Profile:
Neil,
It's good of you to look after your brother. But just know that this is something he needs to do himself.

My experience with quiting was a mixture of getting inspiring information and filling the addiction void. The information came from this site:
http://healthbolt.net/2006/07/19/what-happens-to-your-body-if-you-stop-smoking-r ight-now/

...which made me immediately want to quit, cold turkey. You could even make a list from this site and 'check off' your progress.

The second thing I did was fill the void. Smoking was something to "do". Although a very passive action, I replaced it with a hobby. Essentially, I guess it was something to think about instead of smoking. For me it was health and fitness. I began to consume as much as I could about diet and fitness. I began doing the crossfit work outs. It took a while, maybe 2 months, before my lungs could handle the speeds I wanted. When my muscles felt the burn and not my lungs...

I also found that in the first couple of months it was very difficult for me to be around smokers. If someone was going to smoke, I would leave the room. Since I'm in college, its like everyone smokes at parties. In order for me to not smoke at parties, I needed to stay more sober than usual. hmm, maybe I got two birds with one stone ;)

If none of this works, someone once told me to make rules for yourself. For instance, no smoking in you car... if you want a cigarette, you have to pull over and get out of your car to smoke, even if it means you are going to be late. Enough self-discipline and the hassle alone will make you want to quit.

Hope this helps!
-James
Old 04-18-2007, 10:27 AM   #8
Dennis Barrett

Profile:
Do a search on the net for a vidio entitled "Stop Smoking for Life" It is narrated by Larry Hagman (J.R. from Dallas) I got it as a Christmas stocking stuffer for my first wife. During the next three days, I went through the tape. We went out New Years with friends and I never lit up. I was a 2 1/2 pack smoker of 24 years. That was sixteen years ago and I don't miss it at all. I'm not sure how it works ( no gruesome brown lungs)but it does.

I loaned the tape to a friend at work and he quit. He loaned it out again and it worked again.
I won't belabor the point, but if I ever meet Mr. Hagman in person, I will hug his neck. I know he saved me from a grim future.

Sincerely!
Dennis B.
Old 04-18-2007, 10:33 AM   #9
Bill Russell

Profile:
James gave some great advice. I'll add my 2 cents.

I did the 'cold turkey' thing over 3 years ago. It worked for me then, but not the previous 25 times!!

I think that one must really be ready to quit. It must be a firm decision. I also believe that if you want to rid yourself of a bad habit, you should replace it with a good one. When I quit, I increased my workout intensity considerably. Once I started being able to breathe again there was no way I was going to start smoking again.

I never 'cheated' but I did something that I had never done before. When I had the urge for a smoke, usually at happy hour and cocktails, I would light one and just hold it. I'd hang it from my lips but never puff. It sounds silly but it worked. I did this for a few months and slowly stopped.

My wife quit about 5 months ago. She got a prescription for Chantix, a friend used it to quit. It's expensive, but it helped. She also started doing CrossFit workouts with me around the same time.

Best of luck to you.
Old 04-18-2007, 01:59 PM   #10
Neil Khant

Profile:
James,

He wants to quit...I just want to help him succeed.

He has tried to quit many times before, so I appreciate the advice and will pass along.