CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 02-06-2008, 06:23 AM   #1
Steve Bickles

Profile:
Stopped smoking!!

Hi everyone, just wanted to share that i have stopped smoking, again!

I stopped last year for six months but went back to it due to stress. My health has declined in the last year so i have stopped again.
Not feeling too stressed yet even though i have a cold, using patches which make me itch but otherwise good.

Just dreading going back to work, i only get a break when i have a smoke so just gonna try and eat fruits, apple or something when i want one.

Anyone else smoked for years and stopped and stayed stopped?? how long did you smoke for and how did you get over it?
I think it should be banned personally but its taxable so that aint gonna happen.

Wish me luck!!
Old 02-06-2008, 07:11 AM   #2
Sean Dunston

Profile:
Re: Stopped smoking!!

Steve-

Good luck!

I smoked for about 15 years from age 14 to 29. For the last 10 years or so of it I smoked about 1.5 to 2 packs per day. Along the way I quit a few times, but ultimately quit in February of 2000 (wow - it has been 8 years already!).

You aren't going to like this - but I did it "cold turkey." I had bought some of the nico-gum stuff to help me quit: absolutely horrid! I think I chewed about 3 pieces of it, then threw the rest in the bin.

There were times at the beginning when it was tough - but it helped that I worked in an office and saw clients on a regular basis. Taking breaks to smoke just didn't work... but sometimes when I was driving in the car, it just felt like I wanted one to pass the time... that is the habit part of it - and one that you need to do something constructive instead. If you need something to occupy your hand during the day when you would otherwise have a smoke in it, buy something to strengthen your grip and go for 21-15-9 squeezes!

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...JL._SS500_.jpg
Old 02-06-2008, 09:44 AM   #3
Robert Olajos

Profile:

Good for you!

I started in about 1993, sometimes a pack a day, sometimes just 2 or 3. I started quitting in 2002. I fell off the wagon a few times, and haven't had one since June '06. Now I know I'm quit for good.

I did it cold turkey, but if I had to quit again, I'd enlist my doctor to help.
Old 02-06-2008, 10:43 AM   #4
Steve Bickles

Profile:

cheers for your replies. I have got 2 sets of grippers, which im gonna put in my glove box now for traffic jams, dont know what im gonna do at work, just try to keep busy i suppose, cant take the grips in there though.
Will start coming off the patches soon, dont wanna start relying on them
Old 02-06-2008, 12:23 PM   #5
Craig Brown

Profile:

Come up with a strategy for when you want one, today. Set it in stone. Something along the lines of:

When I want a cigarette bad, I will do fifty pushups. If I still want one, I will do another fifty. I cannot cave in unless I do 10 sets of fifty in 30 minutes, each cigarette.

It'll work.

Craig

(who smoked for more than twenty years, hand rolled, non filtered...a lot)
Old 02-07-2008, 03:40 AM   #6
Cal Jones

Profile:

I stopped 11 years ago.

I used patches. I also used the 24 hour patches rather than the ones you take off at night. I know some people say you don't smoke while you sleep so why wear patches at night, but I didn't wake up gasping for a fag. You also get some pretty interesting dreams on patches.

My first week of giving up was done on holiday in Florida. I was too busy enjoying the amusement parks to care much about not smoking. I did eat a tremendous amount though, and put on a fair bit of weight.

Back then I worked in the games industry and there were a lot of social events and most people seemed to smoke, so I would have cigars socially (and not inhale, obviously). This helped me a LOT. However, as smoking is banned in most public places these days, this should be less of an issue for you.

Having said that, I have a terrible gum habit now that I just can't shake. I chew around 40 pieces a day. Better than smoking, though.
Old 02-07-2008, 04:03 AM   #7
Arber Borici

Profile:

Quote:
Wish me luck!!
In addition to the helpful tips the others have provided above, download and read the "Forever Free" guides. They're really helpful...
Old 02-07-2008, 12:36 PM   #8
Steve Bickles

Profile:

cheers for all your replies.
Well its the 4th day now and im feeling good, still a bit rough from my cold but not craving as much as i thought.

Took my grippers in the car today, started to get bored so did about 5 sets of 10 on the way home.
Old 02-07-2008, 02:04 PM   #9
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Good job, Steve.

Keep it up!

And keep posting to tell us that it is going well. Post everyday - maybe that will be extra added motivation for you knowing that WE ARE WATCHING YOU

and hoping that you succeed!
Old 02-08-2008, 03:04 PM   #10
Steve Bickles

Profile:

well today was the first day i really craved. Bit stressful at work and needed a break and normally i would go off for a smoke but i didnt. Just had an apple instead and made myself busy.
Still feel like sh*t from my cold and got stomach cramps today.

Otherwise good, working a long weekend so dreading it but i'll get through.
Cheers again for your comments