CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 12-08-2005, 05:42 PM   #1
Travis Hall

Profile:

saw some police doing a fitness test today. i think it was for new recruits- to test them. it was a circuit. carry a sandbag (weight???)for distance. then start by going up and down some stairs, jump over two foot high rails, jump over higher rail fall to ground get up, sprint around then-

there was this machine against the wall. the person would push against a bar that swiveled in a semi-circle. i believe the idea was to keep consistent pressure while moving in the semi-circle back and forth. then they would do the same but pull i believe, before continuing the circuit..

what is this machine/ exercise? what weight is being used and finally what is a good substitution so i can try it? is there a substitution?? some people seemed to be having trouble with it so it got me really curious.

plus, what i described, is that the full circuit? is it rounds for time? i was there working so i couldn't really watch them the whole time....
i really wanted to be like, "hey, can i try?" it looked like a good 'warm up':biggrin:

cheers,
t.
Old 12-08-2005, 05:56 PM   #2
Brad Williams

Profile:

It's called a PARE.
More info here:http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/recruiting...oduction_e.htm
Old 12-09-2005, 07:04 AM   #3
Ian Holmes

Profile:
I helped train my buddy to run the PARE test. We had him down to a rather decent time as well. The course involves running a rather short obstacle course and then doing the push pull machine. Weight varries depending upon who and what unit you are applying for.
And yeah other than standing touching a wall, then dropping to the ground touching ones back and standing up a few times that would be it.
The bag carry isn't timed though. You can do that at any point you want...

I personally thought the test to be a little feeble... the lack of pullups/climbing and pushups dissapointed me.
Old 12-09-2005, 10:22 AM   #4
Travis Hall

Profile:

they should definitly toss in some burpee's and climbing...

ian- what did you do with your friend to train the push-pull machine? are there decent substitutes?
also, what are thoughts of people who have done this course? is it harder then it appears?
cheers,
t.
Old 12-09-2005, 06:08 PM   #5
Brad Williams

Profile:

I am doing it next Monday, I'll let you know.
Old 12-09-2005, 07:58 PM   #6
Travis Hall

Profile:

excellent brad! i'd appreciate that.
and good luck, eh! (not that you'll need it :wink:)

- t.
Old 12-10-2005, 09:37 AM   #7
Ian Holmes

Profile:
Travis
Well... the push element of the machine got simulated with regular and close grip bench press, while the pull aspect got nailed with a variety of different lat pulls/rows. The trick is more to be able to move in an arc while holding the push/pull... the weight really is a none issue.

As to is the course harder than it appears... you go full out for about three minutes (more if you are slow), so if you are used to high intensity output it isn't an issue... but I have watched some guys just die doing it. The 'I work out three times a week (largely by lifting weight for a few reps and some time on the bike)' guys usually are pretty hurting.
Old 12-10-2005, 02:48 PM   #8
Travis Hall

Profile:

" The trick is more to be able to move in an arc while holding the push/pull... the weight really is a none issue. "

i was thinking with the pull part one could try with one of those cable machines... but all in all(as i suspected- hence posing the question to all of you!) a realistic substitution would be difficult.

"As to is the course harder than it appears... "

heh. yeah i gotta agree. i figured crossfit type stuff would wipe the floor with this kinda workout. since we tend to the same x 10000. bunches of different exercises at high intensity for time... old news to all us:biggrin:

i can't wait to hear brad's expeience compared to other "three time a weekers.." heh!

- t.
Old 12-19-2005, 11:37 AM   #9
Brad Williams

Profile:

Travis,

I completed my PARE test this morning.
Here is my experience.

I had not done it before in any sense so I basically was feeling out the course. With no warm up because I wanted to go first out of about 15 people.
At a moderate pace the first three laps were pretty casual, the next three at the same pace were tougher but I was no where close to heaving. Definate onset of LA in my legs though.
After completing the running course we moved on to the push/pull device. The way the device is designed it would be hard to mimic in a training setting. Essentially once the device is engaged it seemed to stay there.
End result was 2:58 (at a relatively comfortable pace)out of a possible 4:45. All passing times ranged from about 2:50 to 4:28.

Conclusion:
It was more than a warm up but less than a workout. Anyone with a moderate fitness level should be able to pull this test off successfully.

IMO it should and could be a lot harder. All that I could think about while watching some of the border line participants was how much it would suck if they were supposed to be watching my back(or their own) in a life or death situation.

Because you are working predominantly in an anerobic zone I think a good warm up would make a S*&tload of difference on the end result of this test. If I get to do it again I will be attemting to knock off a whole lot of time from todays result.

Hopefully that helps.

Brad
Old 12-19-2005, 09:19 PM   #10
Travis Hall

Profile:

hmmm... what i expected i guess. what's interesting is you say you did it at a moderate pace and your time was seconds close to what you said was the lowest. imagine if you went full out cf style! next time you do it where a cf shirt and waste everyone!:rofl:

one more thing: i assume the machine is supposed to simulate pushing and pulling or holding someone in an altercation- do you think it is realistic in this sense? or, if not realistic per say, beneificial to your training in any way?

one other thing: is it simply a test you do at the beginning? or will they make you keep doing it as a test of 'fitness' your whole career- which would be kinda annoying...

thanks for the update and congrats on your pass!
cheers,
t.