CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 03-26-2008, 09:47 AM   #1
Stephen Georgiou

Profile:
Newbie question for anyone with the patience :)

Hi there,

I am a massive fan of this site, and over the last couple of years have tinkered with the occasional WOD when i have felt an 'itch'...

My usual training is centered around training the olympic lifts. It has been for a couple of years now (prior to that I was a 'bodybuilder' type....but those days are long gone!)

I primarily use the crossfit site to help me improve my form on other 'functional' exercises, I play with rings and paralletes etc...and as i mentioned, I have dabbled in the occasional WOD for 'fun'

I train for my own satisfaction, and have never competed. I will never compete as I am not anywhere near good enough. My lifts have stagnated, and I am considering switching to a full on program of daily WODs for a few months....and who knows maybe ill never look back?...

I have a question though regarding incorporating WOD's as my primary training routine. Most of the lifts used in the WODs involve a high level of skill. Skills that require a substantial amount of practice. eg cleans, snatches, muscleups etc even squats and overhead press require a fair amount of regular practice to ensure good form. With the WODs, there is often quite a substantial amount of time that passes before the same skill comes around again.

How do WOD followers fair with this? Do you find that you often 'deskill'? Do you practice movements outside of WOD sessions? Or is it not a problem at all?

Thanks for any input anyone can offer.

Stephen
Old 03-26-2008, 09:59 AM   #2
David Bennett

Profile:
Re: Newbie question for anyone with the patience :)

Many people practice crossfit related skills in addition to the WOD. For example, at the local affiliate, a certified trainer leads a group warm up, an organized skill practice session, and then watches people during the WOD to ensure proper form. The selection of which skill to practice is made by the trainer based on their knowledge of what is coming up soon in the local WOD rotation (different than the main page) and what the clients need the most work on.
Old 03-26-2008, 12:26 PM   #3
Elliot Fuller

Profile:

Adding bodyweight or PVC form work to a warmup is a good way, as mentioned.

Plus, mastering perfect form on an air squat (in a warmup) will translate over very efficiently to most other exercises that involve the same form.
Old 03-26-2008, 01:36 PM   #4
Jake Dent

Profile:

When I warm up, I usually incorporate 1 or 2 exercises that I need practice on, or that I need to maintain.
I usually do overhead squats, muscle ups and handstand pushups. You could probably do the same with any movement you feel needs maintenance.
Old 03-26-2008, 04:35 PM   #5
David Schlesselman

Profile:

I had a similar concern when I first started CrossFit. Before I began working out at home I would try WODs at the gym and while I was doing CF Total one day, someone who worked there told me that standing shoulder presses were dangerous and he "heard" of someone who had serious spinal damage due to them. Anyway, cleans and snatches are a little more complex than shoulder presses, so I just immersed myself into researching how to do them properly, reading Starting Strength, watching videos and just practicing with what I felt comfortable with doing. You can go as far as hiring a coach, but as long as you know your limitations and are patient, you could progress into these moves eventually.
Old 03-26-2008, 05:13 PM   #6
Steven Low

Profile:

Before your workout do skill work.

It can be anything from oly to gymnastics to whatever sport you play.