CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 05-10-2008, 08:37 PM   #11
Rob Paulson

Profile:
Re: Question on 'Muscle Ups'....

I want to thank everyone for their replies; I think there were good points all around.

I guess it's simply a case of different things with the same name causing confusion.
Old 05-11-2008, 10:32 PM   #12
Daniel Schmieding

Profile:

The false grip is still permitted, taught, and encouraged in most non-elite gymnastics competitions around the world.

My 7-year old "level 5" gymnasts have a muscle-up in their rings routine. They are not particularly muscle-bound; it is overwhelmingly a matter of technique for them to get above the rings.

As far as kipping goes, whether it is done with straight or bent legs in gymnastics, it is still a "kip." It is also (and possibly originally) called an upstart in many gymnastics communities. The difference between a gymnastics kip and a CrossFit kip is that gymnastics routines requires the kip to reach support (holding oneself above the apparatus).

Both use extension and rapid flexing of the hips in order to generate momentum to get above something.
Old 05-12-2008, 03:55 AM   #13
Brandon Oto

Profile:

Nobody's doing muscleups in their routine at that level, so it seems fairly moot.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:51 AM   #14
Stephen Georgiou

Profile:

kipping pullups are totally different from 'strict' pullups. They are not the same thing. kipping pullups vs 'strict' is as much of a comparison as power clean vs bicep curl.

The aim of strict pullups is to load the lats and biceps.
The aim of kipping pullups is to work your 'heart' (in a very loose sense).

I have noticed that high rep kipping pullups feel alot like high rep double-unders (skipping) on the heart/lungs/muscles...and brain!

With regard to Muscleups, both are challenging....kipped or unkipped. People are entitled to be happy with their acheivements, but i also agree, that there is a massive difference between the two in terms of difficulty.

Someone who can clean and jerk and empty barbell might be really happy with themselves, but they would be stupid to think that they could compete on an olympic stage. I dont think this is the case for *most* crossfitters.