CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 05-08-2008, 05:48 PM   #21
Kevin Perry

Profile:
Re: Who/What Defines Fitness?

Fitness is not being a couch potatoe
Old 05-08-2008, 06:12 PM   #22
Dave Gibbs

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Perry View Post
Fitness is not being a couch potatoe
Fitness is such a broad term and it all depends on perspective anyway. My 72years old mum is quite "fit" because she walks the dog twice a day but I doubt her fran time would be that impressive.
I prefer healthy as a better measure which reflects accross nutrition, exercise, wellness and lifestyle.
Being lean has become a bit of an obsession for many men who desire the six pack look. Fact is many of the male models who adorn the billboards are very thin and frail in real life ,live on coffee and cancer sticks and are certainly not "fit" or healthy.
I like the line in fight club where Brad and Edward get on a bus look at a calvin klein underwear model and say something like "tell me what that has got to do with being a man?" I would tend to agree.
Old 05-08-2008, 06:52 PM   #23
Kevin Perry

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Gibbs View Post
Fitness is such a broad term and it all depends on perspective anyway. My 72years old mum is quite "fit" because she walks the dog twice a day but I doubt her fran time would be that impressive.
I prefer healthy as a better measure which reflects accross nutrition, exercise, wellness and lifestyle.
Being lean has become a bit of an obsession for many men who desire the six pack look. Fact is many of the male models who adorn the billboards are very thin and frail in real life ,live on coffee and cancer sticks and are certainly not "fit" or healthy.
I like the line in fight club where Brad and Edward get on a bus look at a calvin klein underwear model and say something like "tell me what that has got to do with being a man?" I would tend to agree.
agree, it's too broad and can be applicable to any theme or setting. Perhaps health and wellness are just as interchangeable. I consider myself fit compared to pretty much everyone i know, but another individual may consider themselves fit for "such" and "such". So then we go to the question "what is fitness" just like the CFJ article.

I guess as long as your an active individual and not sedentary then you canbe considered "fit". But some people are more "fit" than others.
Old 05-09-2008, 06:19 AM   #24
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

Speaking of fight club, did you notice everybody but meatloaf in that movie was built like a male model?
Old 05-09-2008, 06:42 AM   #25
Eric Machus

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
Speaking of fight club, did you notice everybody but meatloaf in that movie was built like a male model?
Exactly the point I was going to make I couldn't believe when they had Pitt make that comment. I think that CK ad torso might have been him. Actually, if they did that,that would be the only saving grace and quite amusing.

Otherwise I agree. Between Pitt and Leto and the extras it looked a lot like America's Next Top Model/Blue Steel's playing WWF/WWE in the basement

That said I did kind of dig the movie and Ed Norton's beatdown of Leto.
Old 05-09-2008, 07:44 AM   #26
Randy Tarasevich

Profile:

Coach Glassman defines fitness. Ha made a claim that none of the major certifying orgs. such as NSCA, ACSM, etc. have ever had a definition for the term "fitness". They' ll give components and derivitives, but not an actual definition.

Body Composition can be a very poor indicator of physical fitness.
Old 05-09-2008, 07:57 AM   #27
Steven Anderson

Profile:

Agreed, body composition is a poor measure of fitness. Though, as someone stated, I feel that the terms "health and wellness" should be used as more of a measure. True, there are 300 lb. offensive linemen who have impressive verts, amazing speed, power and the like, but they are also carrying around extra bodyfat (higher bodyfat percentage) that could in the long run be detrimental to their health. Even in the present the unnecessary fat can be affecting things like blood pressure, cholesterol level, etc. These individuals are definitely fit in the athletic sense but may not be truly overall healthy.
Old 05-09-2008, 08:53 AM   #28
Stephen Georgiou

Profile:

In my mind, the term 'Fitness' is an extremely general term that means something as vague as the following:

"the ability to perform a task"

In order to determine whether someone is 'fit', a particular task or set of tasks must be used for qualification. eg is that person 'fit' enough to run a marathon?, is that person 'fit' enough to deadlift my car? is that person 'fit' enough to walk up the stairs in their own house to get to the toilet? etc

Most are fit enough to walk up the stairs of your own house.
Some are fit enough to run a marathon.
Some are fit enough to deadlift my car.
Some are fit enough to run a marathon, but are unfit to deadlift my car.
Some are fit enough to deadlift my car, but are unfit to run a marathon.

In running circles we may aim to be 'fit' enough to get a good 10k time.

In strongman circles we may aim to be 'fit' enough to achieve a stronger deadlift etc

In everyday circumstances, we may aim to be 'fit' enough get our butts up the stairs.

However, 'fitness' in everyday life may also refer to factors not associated directly with activity. I imagine that in the "NAAFA"context, 'fitness' refers to being fit enough to get through life without reaching a premature end or lessening of its quality...ie being fit enough to not promote coronary heart disease, diabetes etc (diseases of the developed world). High BF% is very well correlated with these 'lifestyle' diseases, and therefore it makes lots of sense to include BF% as a measure of fitness in this context (fitness to live!!!).

Thats my view anyway.

(incidentally, in crossfit circles we (theoretically) aim to better all of the 'fitness' facets....strength, speed, flexibility, agility, stamina....etc)
Old 05-09-2008, 09:29 AM   #29
Aaron Moburg-Jones

Profile:

This is a strange conversation. The entire point of Crossfit is that it defines fitness and puts it on a continueum with health. They aren't seperate, fit is just MORE healthy. It is also the 10 basic components and the ability to perform tasks across broad times and modal domains.

Bodyfat does not define fitness ... period. It is often a derivative of fitness, but certainly not always. The point of "fit" being more healthy is that when people become fit all the indicators of health improve, one of which may be muscle to fat ratios. But those are indicators. They are signs that point us in a direction, they are not the definition of fitness.

So to answer the question that was originally posted, no, bodyfat percentage should not be included in a definition of fitness. We've already defined fitness in crosssfit. It's published ... under "What is Fitness." It doesn't mention bodyfat. If you disagree with this assessment you disagree with the very FOUNDATION of Crossfit. Now that's cool and I am all about questioning, but it was a lifetime of work by coach develop this as the heart of his CF methodology. It's not an off the cuff gut feeling.
Old 05-09-2008, 09:33 AM   #30
Lewis Dunn

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Georgiou View Post
In my mind, the term 'Fitness' is an extremely general term that means something as vague as the following:

"the ability to perform a task"
Your entire post reminds me of an old video of what was I think a media interview with Dave Werner at (what was then) Crossfit North. The interviewer asked him what was fitness. His answer was something like "Fitness is the ability to do whatever it is that you want to do." I think it probably goes without saying that he was talking about athletic goals and not shooting pool or throwing darts, but that simple definition has always rung true to me. If someone doesn't ever care to run a marathon, then they don't need that ability to be "fit." If someone else doesn't ever need to deadlift a car, then they don't need that ability to be "fit." To me it's all about what those things are that you as an individual want to be able to do. Like most Crossfitters, I have trouble making this work with someone whose highest athletic goal is not rolling gutter balls at the bowling alley, but who am I to say where the line should be drawn?