CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 05-18-2009, 10:39 AM   #1
Scott Norman

Profile:
Complex Tear on Right Lateral Meniscus

I have a tear on my right lateral meniscus (complex tear). I go in for MRI follow-up with an othopedic on the 20th. Any input on workouts I can still perform to strengthing the leg muscles prior to surgery.

I've researched a lot about meniscus tears and get somewhat mixed reviews after surgery results.

My knee feels like a piece of cotton is in between the joints or just irritated, however i still have a good amount (90 - 95%) of strength and only have slight irritation when working the leg/knee. I have stopped all leg workouts after the postive result.

I've read alot about R.O.M, stiffness and locking but have not expirenced anything like that yet (after 4 - 5 weeks).

I know I can do upperbody, i've been doing pull-ups like crazy, but my training will demand a lot of running and back packing with about 55+ lbs for extended durations.

Recommendations please?

Can I row and bike to keep minimum impact.
Any imput on this issue is apprechiated.

Will i be able to do high box jumps and jump off of high objects.

Sorry for the long Message, I've been stessing out bad about recovery and will I recover 100%
Old 05-18-2009, 11:13 AM   #2
Bob Guere

Profile:
Re: Complex Tear on Right Lateral Meniscus

This is just my .02... I've had two scopes on my left knee for meniscus tears. My recommendation would be to STOP doing anything that puts excess stress on the joint until after surgery. The more you tear it, the more they have to remove, and the less you'll have when they're done. You want to have as much cartilage left post-surgery as possible. You'll get some arthritis afterwards, and your knee will never be 100% again after removal of tissue, but I can do almost everything CF dishes out. Long runs, or lots of squats will require icing, etc. or perhaps one missed/altered WOD due to some overuse swelling, but nothing I cannot recover from within a day or two. Maintenance is key. CF has done WONDERs for my knee, though. It hurts less than it has in a long time.

FYI, the second surgery was because I did martial arts for 5 years after my first surgery. Planting the foot, twisting, kicking, etc. was not good for my meniscus. Being overweight didn't help either.

My .02.
Old 05-18-2009, 01:42 PM   #3
Scott Norman

Profile:

Thanks Bob,

I have stopped all impact, actually all leg workouts, anything to do with leg movement.

Not 100% are you referring to some slight discomfort and swelling after hard work outs or strength in the leg?

How about jumping, I will be doing some static line parachuting (kind of hard impact if you don't land right, well even if you do land right).

I have not meet my ortho yet but I know he works on athletes (football, basketball, soccer, just about ever sport). Just hope I recover well, I can deal with swelling and discomfort after some hard work as long as it's not severe and I have my strength.
Old 05-18-2009, 01:47 PM   #4
Bob Guere

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Norman View Post
Thanks Bob,

I have stopped all impact, actually all leg workouts, anything to do with leg movement.

Not 100% are you referring to some slight discomfort and swelling after hard work outs or strength in the leg?

How about jumping, I will be doing some static line parachuting (kind of hard impact if you don't land right, well even if you do land right).

I have not meet my ortho yet but I know he works on athletes (football, basketball, soccer, just about ever sport). Just hope I recover well, I can deal with swelling and discomfort after some hard work as long as it's not severe and I have my strength.
I get some moderate swelling/stiffness and only the discomfort that comes with that. Which usually I can describe as "instability".

I would take extra caution on your jumps, which I'm sure you will. But that is a recipe for further damage IMHO.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:01 PM   #5
Steven Low

Profile:

Like Bob said.. best bet is to stay off it for now.

You can do some unilateral work with the other leg (not too much though) to help keep up strength in the other leg, and obviosuly you can still work upper body.

Focus on some weaknesses and such so that when you get back you'll be better than ever.
Old 05-19-2009, 11:13 AM   #6
Scott Norman

Profile:

Thanks guys,

I haven't been working my legs at all, so I have been taking it easy.

I go in tomorrow to see a Ortho and see what options I have, most likely surgery.

Ok, say I rehab good and progress back slowly on my own (not over do it), what are the chances of tearing it again if I let it heal correctly and build the muscle back up before getting into box jumps and other lateral movements and rigorous leg work outs. I can deal with pain and minimum swelling at the site as long as I can get the strength and stability back.
Old 05-19-2009, 11:52 AM   #7
Steven Low

Profile:

You should do physical therapy if possible...

In all likelyhood you will regain prior strength and stability... you just gotta make sure it's rehabbed correctly.
Old 05-20-2009, 11:33 AM   #8
Scott Norman

Profile:

Follow-up went well, I do have to have surgery but the Doc seemed confident and expereinced. Did all the knee rotations and said I still had good ROM.
He also said I have a rare meniscus that would have eventually tore some time in my life. Most are C shaped mine is disc shape and I have more meniscus than normal. It still all depends on what they find when they go in with the scope.

Said I can get on the olympical to do cardio, but other than that upper body.
I forgot to ask about swimming, any input on swimming. Yey or ney on swimming?
Old 05-20-2009, 12:49 PM   #9
Scott Norman

Profile:

I'm guessing a Discoid Lateral Meniscus.
Old 05-20-2009, 06:13 PM   #10
Steven Low

Profile:

If he's allowing you on the elliptical... you can probably do swimming.

If you wanna be cautious then keep your legs straight while swimming..